Which HD Telly?

waverider

Salty Tech Monster Bod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Protek 9750 HD IP, Spiderbox 9000HD. Cryptik Digital H-H Mount with1.2m Oval Dish and a box in the garage consisting of 2 obsolete STBs, various Cards and a couple of cams!
My Location
South East England
Been looking at 40inch back lit led tv's recently until my eye's hurt and my brain aches from persistent sales people! I can't make up my mind whats good for around 500 quid.

I need help on what's best for the money, can anyone give good advise please?........

norfolknhope

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
none
My Location
Berkshire
Personally I'd go for Samsung as their picture quality is superb, however I'm not sure of the prices, one in the range I have looked at is the UE40D8000. Hope that helps a little in your decision making :)

AlphaOm

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1m Orbital - Thor 5, Thor 6
75cm Visiosat Bisat - Astra1, Astra2, Hotbird
My Location
South Wales, UK
Choosing a telly is a very personal thing, I think, and really depends on many factors and on what you want. Are you after the best value for your money, or a larger number of available settings, or the brightest colours, or the smoothest moving pictures...etc... The list is never-ending. It's really not easy to suggest something, because what I might like might not be to your taste... I'm personally not too keen on backlit-led TVs, and I tend to really like Sony TV sets because I like their interface and I find that they offer many settings and parameters, but some people don't like that Cross-Bar interface at all. LG TVs are usually excellent value for money - they can be cheaper than the competition, with bright pictures (sometimes too flashy for me, but again, it's a question of taste...) and a user friendly interface. But I disliked the two LG sets I tried because of the very limited number of settings and options (might not apply to all their models, I don't know). The post above mentioned Samsung - why not? - but in terms of picture quality you'd be hard pressed to be able to tell for sure that they offer something significantly superior to Sony, Toshiba or Panasonic TV sets, for example... You can be shown as many statistics and lab test results as you like, but ultimately it's your eyes that can only tell the difference. And a lot of people can't!!

One thing to take into account for sure, though, is the warranty. If you can get a free 5-year warranty deal, I'd say that should help you decide between two sets too. Modern TVs are not as reliable as the old ones used to be, unfortunately. Most repairs are costly, and are often not even worth considering if you think of the price of a brand new set.

Don't believe what the people at Currys and Comet will tell you. I think they are only working on their commissions. The only thing I could say for sure is, stay away from those obscure, ultra-cheap brands that you can find mainly in supermarkets.
Good luck!

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Which store will you be looting ?

waverider

Salty Tech Monster Bod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Protek 9750 HD IP, Spiderbox 9000HD. Cryptik Digital H-H Mount with1.2m Oval Dish and a box in the garage consisting of 2 obsolete STBs, various Cards and a couple of cams!
My Location
South East England
Channel Hopper said:
Which store will you be looting ?
I'm not sure CH nothing happening around here, I was hoping for something a bit closer as Manchester was a bit out of my way! :)

waverider

Salty Tech Monster Bod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
South East England
Thanks for your points AlphaOm, the name Samsung as mentioned by norfolknhope keeps on popping up as a good buy, as for price 5-600 quid I would have assumed should be enough to buy something half decent!

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham
Definitely Samsung, I've been oggling their LEDTVs at the local Sainsburys store (about £300 for a 32", £400 for a 40"), and the Samsung ones always stand out as the better picture (despite the SD source), plus they look nicer and appear to be better built... :)

They also have a Samsung 42" plasma on display which I don't like the look of, if I can see the colour elements on the screen like that of a CRT, it can't be that good, I think plasma's had it's day... :)

So, Samsung for the win (or FTW as most youtubers say!!)... :D

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
2cvbloke said:
So, Samsung for the win (or FTW as most youtubers say!!)... :D

My mild dyslexia sees that somewhat differently ! :eek:

waverider

Salty Tech Monster Bod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
South East England
2cvbloke said:
I think plasma's had it's day... :)

Yep I think your right, the picture doesn't exactly jump out at you does it!

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham
waverider said:
Yep I think your right, the picture doesn't exactly jump out at you does it!

Well, the picture stands out to me, cos it's so rubbish... :-rofl2

Plus, Plasmas have a relatively short life compared to CRT and some LCDs (decent ones with quality CCFLs, or LED backlights), and they suffer from screen burn, so those little onscreen graphics permanently ruin the screen, plus Plasma's been around for a long time, even those old Compaq portable "laptops" had them, so, I wouldn't bother with them, LCDs are cheaper and look nicer... :D

waverider

Salty Tech Monster Bod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
South East England
I've been told by some dude in Richer sounds that on my budget it either has to be a Samsung or an LG

shamonee

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Openbox S9 receiver
My Location
midlands
Got 42" LG backlit led TV from richersounds. Forgot the model had it since Xmas can't fault it its like a picture hung on the wall
Le4500 rings a bell was £450 but its been cheaper lately think we paid £550 with 5 yr guarantee but think it's been £450 with guarantee maybe cheaper

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Nothing wrong with the LGs either, seen lots and like the picture.

norfolknhope

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
none
My Location
Berkshire
Don't forget that if you buy from Richer Sounds and take out their warranty (which is relatively cheap) if you don't make any claims against it, at the end of the warranty you'll get the money back that you paid for it! :)

shamonee

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Openbox S9 receiver
My Location
midlands
norfolknhope said:
Don't forget that if you buy from Richer Sounds and take out their warranty (which is relatively cheap) if you don't make any claims against it, at the end of the warranty you'll get the money back that you paid for it! :)
Didn't know that. They never mentioned it. Hopefully will be ok touch wood

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
And don't forget that your Consumers Rights are actually far more generous and realistic than either Manufactures or Retailers would have you believe. Only of value to the assertive, though.

waverider

Salty Tech Monster Bod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
South East England
shamonee said:
Didn't know that. They never mentioned it. Hopefully will be ok touch wood
I didn't know that either!

Amazing what you can learn on this forum ;)

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Tivù said:
And don't forget that your Consumers Rights are actually far more generous and realistic than either Manufactures or Retailers would have you believe. Only of value to the assertive, though.

Right again Gordon, slightly off topic I know but I just had an experience with consumer rights recently, I forgot to pack my sunspecs and bought a pair at the airport on my way to my holidays. When in 47deg dry heat I had my hat on and plenty of sunscreen and of course put my sunglasses on my head, only to have then fall apart 30 minutes later. The frame just split, I superglued them and wore them again the following day only for them to split again in a different place, this happened four days running each in a different place until I gave up on them and borrowed some from my nephew. Upon returning to the UK I immediately wrote off to the company explaining the problem who advised me to return them to one of their retail shops. I was told at the shop that I should have returned them within 7 days for a full refund, to which I replied bollocks, I bought them in the UK and my consumer rights apply, then I was told I could only have a credit note, to which I replied that firstly the goods were obviously faulty, thus entitling me to a full refund, indeed the frames had developed visible hairline cracks all over by now, secondly they were obviously not of merchantable quality again entitling me to a full refund and I threatened them with trading standards. The guy called the manager over and I was given a full refund. Persistance is required when dealing with these 'ahem' managers.

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
57E to 58W, C-band and Ku, DVB-S2, 4:2:2 and blindscan.
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
For 500 GBP I'd go for an LCD Samsung, not LED. All round much better value for money and the connectors are better. Many LED TVs don't even have a SCART socket, and the connectors come out of the side, rather than the back so need special right angle cables, and if you use any sort of quality cable the weight will damage the sockets. Picture is the same for both because they are both LCD tellies, it's just that one uses LED for the backlight, and the other uses cold cathode.

Picture on my 32" Samsung LCD is superb (LE32C650). That cost me 650€ about 8 months ago, so a 40" for 500 GBP must be a pretty low end model especially for LED. Below is a link to that TV in 40" from Amazon.

_http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-LE40C650-Widescreen-Allshare-Internet/dp/B003DNSJ4A/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1313160082&sr=8-2

Edit: Just checked and it was 550€.

waverider

Salty Tech Monster Bod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
South East England
Huevos your post has valuable advise which I will bear in mind when inspecting a tv, the scart socket thingy is brilliant and I will make sure which ever unit I choose, has this facility.

Many thanks Wavey