Why the heck do people go potholing?

Jumpstart

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Motorised dish
My Location
North East
Are they on a death wish? Loads of people have become trapped, lost, or hurt potholing.

It's probably more scary than jumping out of a plane.:eek:

They thought of being stuck 200 feet down, and dying down there, is really scary. Boy, it's horror film stuff.

And whilst I feel sorry for the family of tragic American medical student John Jones, 26, who died during the week in a cave, after being trapped for 24 hours - I must say, WHAT THE HECK DROVE HIM TO DO IT???

It's crazy.

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham
I think they're nuts!!! Just seeing video of it on TV makes me feel all claustrophobic!!! I wouldn't do it even if you paid me to (not to mention I probably wouldn't fit through most holes cos of my waistline!!!), it's cold, wet, dark, unstable, it's a death trap!!! :eek:

Send robots instead, at least if you lose one of them, then nobody's lost their life!!! :rolleyes:

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Went caving when I did the outward bound course in Devon when I was 15 and have to say that it really wasn't something I cared to repeat.

A bit too enclosed for me.:)

Grassbox

Reaction score
Fair few people die when they get into metal boxes with rubber rings at each corner. Talk about death wish.

Jumpstart

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Motorised dish
My Location
North East
Grassbox said:
Fair few people die when they get into metal boxes with rubber rings at each corner. Talk about death wish.

I don't drive either!

But I have a bike which may I say is dicing with death if I go on the heavy main roads.

So I usually stick to the back lanes. ;)

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
At least you have some control of rubber bands, four or two.

Down under, you are at the mercy of the rock strata, the prevailing weather conditions, and the unpredictability of really any other factors that may lead one to be underground when it happens.

I wouldn't pot-hole nowadays, but in my youth, I would probably have done so, if motorcycling hadn't given me the entertainment element I needed at the time.

dcselec

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dark Box Super Hd
Dream Box 800 (clone)
Diablo cAM CAS 3 Prog
90cm dish DiSEqc 1.2 Motor
My Location
manchester
Hi
I used to go potholing when I was younger
never got into any problems its not all little
passages there are some massive underground caves
I have dropped into caves that are larger than a football
stadium (on a rope) there are risks as with everthing you
do but you try to minimise them dont go into caves that
flood in bad weather ect but as with anything things can go
wrong as with crossing the road if there is a challange people
will go for it.
Thoughts with the Family at this time My mother used to hate
me going but at 20 you think you are invincible but still here
at 53

Dave

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
I suppose I could say they do it because they can which is probably wrong as if it was banned then they would probably do it all the more.
I agree with dcselec about the challenge and going for it and also add that it is a bit like scuba diving.. I had the chance to do a 5 mtr then a 10 mtr dive 15 years ago, I have to say it was OK but during my 10 mtr dive I remember looking up at the surface and my head was saying you should not be down here you are not a fish. I could not even conceive of going underground potholing although a trip through white scar caves I found facinating.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Ah yes, the nearest caves to here are at Chislehurst and went there a few times when I was somewhat younger.

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
There's a world of difference between large caverns where you can walk upright and a small hole where you have to breathe out and wriggle like a worm!

I quite enjoy visiting large caves in the UK and France but only if there's a defined entrance and exit!

Mind you, I've been down some of the Williamson Tunnels in Liverpool and one of them I had to squeeze through a manhole cover and then down a 10 foot ladder. It seemed safe though.