Wanted 2.4 metre or larger commercial quality dish and mount.

Chris Wilson

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Prime focus 1.8 meter dish for QO-100 work with PlutoSDR
My Location
Shropshire
Looking for a commercial quality, excellent condition 2.4 to say 4 metre dish and mount, can travel to collect. I am in north Shropshire but travel the UK. Thanks. I also have a friend after a good make, undamaged 1.8 metre dish and polar mount.

Last edited by a moderator:

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
The larger , for what purpose ?

Which band , C / Ku / Ka ?
Receve only or receive transmit ?
Fixed mount / Az/El / polarmount ?

Chris Wilson

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Shropshire
Sorry to have been vague. Mainly for 2.4 GHz TX using a helical or POTI antenna, initially a fixed mount would suffice. I am naieve enough not to understand why there are different solid reflector dishes for different frequencies. A while back a big used Andrew dish appeared on Ebay and was mentioned in the large dishes for sale discussion here. I seem to recall someone mentioning it may not be suitable for certain frequencies? I did not understand why a parabolic solid dish was frequency dependent.

I am using a 1.8 meter PF spun alloy dish for QO-100 RX and TX at the moment, with a Bullseye LNB and a POTI TX antenna coaxially mounted. It works well but I am on a small holding and could accommodate a bigger dish, so why not, I ask myself? ;) I would then use the 1.8 meter for reception.

I doubt I'd ever get keen enough to want to track none geostationary satellites, so nothing more than a polar mount is likely to be needed, and I'd be happy with a fixed mount on a big dish. I am not sure what "Band" 2.4 GHz is in. If you have the time and inclination to briefly explain the limitations of dish versus frequency I'd be obliged, for example the Andrew Ebay one that I think is still there, cheers.

moonbase

Small Dish Man
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Looking for a commercial quality, excellent condition 2.4 to say 4 metre dish and mount, can travel to collect. I am in north Shropshire but travel the UK. Thanks. I also have a friend after a good make, undamaged 1.8 metre dish and polar mount.

How soon do you need the dish?

I may have a spare Precision 2.8m dish with original Precision tripod ground stand and mount here that is in storage for a potential client.
However, nothing has been confirmed by the client yet and they are having some on site delays etc.

The dish can be viewed on the forum in this topic.
It aint gonna be cheap though as I have incurred expenses beyond the purchase price.

I also have a Precision 2.0m dish with original Precision tripod ground stand and polar mount for sale.
This is listed for sale on the forum in the topic below and is available immediately.

Both dishes are single piece, spun aluminium prime focus.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Sorry to have been vague. Mainly for 2.4 GHz TX using a helical or POTI antenna, initially a fixed mount would suffice. I am naieve enough not to understand why there are different solid reflector dishes for different frequencies. A while back a big used Andrew dish appeared on Ebay and was mentioned in the large dishes for sale discussion here. I seem to recall someone mentioning it may not be suitable for certain frequencies? I did not understand why a parabolic solid dish was frequency dependent.

I am using a 1.8 meter PF spun alloy dish for QO-100 RX and TX at the moment, with a Bullseye LNB and a POTI TX antenna coaxially mounted. It works well but I am on a small holding and could accommodate a bigger dish, so why not, I ask myself? ;) I would then use the 1.8 meter for reception.

I doubt I'd ever get keen enough to want to track none geostationary satellites, so nothing more than a polar mount is likely to be needed, and I'd be happy with a fixed mount on a big dish. I am not sure what "Band" 2.4 GHz is in. If you have the time and inclination to briefly explain the limitations of dish versus frequency I'd be obliged, for example the Andrew Ebay one that I think is still there, cheers.
2.4GHz is just above S band frequencies, you can get away with a good mesh reflector for signals (as do many astronomers and Hydrogen line equipment).
If your location is exposed a mesh dish may be better in the first place once you get much beyond 2.4m anyway, moreso if you are not going to put down a firm concrete base and king post.

Chris Wilson

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Shropshire
Thanks for the info on the dishes, the 2 metre one is not really that much bigger than what I already have. but the 2.8 metre one sounds very interesting. I can't really say much more without a price though, let me know when you have decided if you want to to sell and how much please :) No problem with a decent concrete base, I put the base in for a 60 foot tower, and as gyms are dodgy due to the Chinese virus right now, I could get the wife on another spade to stop her moaning about getting flabby.

moonbase

Small Dish Man
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Thanks for the info on the dishes, the 2 metre one is not really that much bigger than what I already have. but the 2.8 metre one sounds very interesting. I can't really say much more without a price though, let me know when you have decided if you want to to sell and how much please :) No problem with a decent concrete base, I put the base in for a 60 foot tower, and as gyms are dodgy due to the Chinese virus right now, I could get the wife on another spade to stop her moaning about getting flabby.

I mentioned the 2.0m dish in my reply as you indicated you had a friend looking for a 1.8m dish with polar mount.
Is the 2.0m dish unsuitable for your friend?

Chris Wilson

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Shropshire
I need to contact him at work in the week, it may well be of interest, although I know his wife thought a 1.5 metre too big, so I can only see what they say, I'll let you know ASAP re the smaller one.