Aerial for Terrestrial TV

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
I am trying to help an elderly neighbour who has a TV set, but no outside means of getting TV channels signals like aerial or a dish.
Gave him an indoor antenna with built-in amplifier so that he can see one strong analogue TV channel for the timebeing.
He doesn't want to setup a dish since he is waiting for a cheaper solution by the end of the year which turned out to be digital terrestrial platform which is not available today but will be in the near future, my guess within a year.

I thought that I can install for him a suitable simple UHF antenna from his balcony so that he can receive one analogue channel better in the meantime.
Would it be better to install ALREADY an antenna for digital terrestrial and use it as an analogue UHF antenna for the timebeing and then use it for the new platform when it arrives?
This way only one antenna and one installation setup.

Would the DTT be good with an internal antenna or does it have to be installed outside?

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
The answers to your questions will depend on how good the reception is in your area, are there neighbours with external aerials?

Why can you only receive one analogue channel, is that all that is transmitted?

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
rolfw said:
The answers to your questions will depend on how good the reception is in your area, are there neighbours with external aerials?

Why can you only receive one analogue channel, is that all that is transmitted?

The analogue reception is quite poor because there are high rise buildings all over the place and the external communal antenna that was setup over 20 years ago for several TV channels by yours truly is worthless now as all the transmitions are attenuated by these buildings.
The damned things just keep rising and rising.)(-red
The only possibility for him is getting good reception of just one channel from one direction with a good line of sight from his balcony.
The neighbours use Yes or the other thing.
A simple UHF antenna will be a great help, I just don't want him to spend money on two if I can help it.
Thanks. :)

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
You may find that a BB grid antenna helps a little and may be OK when DTT launches, they are good for heavily ghosted signals.

Attachments

• ae10.jpg
    ae10.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 131

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
rolfw said:
You may hind that a BB grid antenna helps a little and may be OK when DTT launches, they are good for heavily ghosted signals.

Thanks rolfw. :)
I think that I have one of those and used it for tests ages ago but it wasn't cheap.
Didn't help me then as a ghostbuster.
I will need it myself when the DTT tests start, so I will just buy him a simple UHF antenna or might talk him into putting a dish for Amos 4W and getting him a cheap FTA receiver and this way he can get five national channels with excellent picture quality.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Sounds like perhaps the best way to go, probably not much more expensive than a good UHF antenna.