AM radio station list

I'll have to check (driving again in a couple of hours) but I'm certain there are quite a few LW stations still running.
 
Long Wave in Ireland.

153 kHz Romania. 171 Morocco (will have to check at night to confirm). 183 France. 189 Iceland. 198 UK, BBC Radio 4. 207 Iceland. 216 France. 225 Poland. 234 Luxembourg. 243 Denmark (very restricted hours). 252 Ireland and Algeria. 270 Czechia.

There is a very powerful transmitter on 162 from France, now only used for time signals. Due to what is known as the Luxembourg Effect, other broadcasters like Radio 4 can sometimes be heard in the background on 162 especially at night.
 
sorry! monte carlo LW 200 and Alger Chaine trois,252 which is also where an Irish station used to be,haven t checked whether it s still there
 
and DX hound did the perfect list! just what we used over decades on our car radios while traveling long distance!
monte carlo 216!! It is today a very low key chat radio from Paris(used to be Monte Carlo until the 90's)*
it then became a vulgar chatty sub-pub level station from Paris a mix of ,sports,fake news and celebs( called here "people" lol!) real trash!

162 used to be France Inter,our national main radio ,kind of between BBC radio 2 and BBC radio 4 according to times of the day .
They decided to stop the transmission & still run the transmitter with nothing on it,what a waste!
,very regretable to us,French travellers,it was very handy on a car radio,it reached all over Europe at night,so we could get our local news in the glens of Scotland or in Tunis,Morocco Poland...
 
With my Roberts R809 getting good reception of some Long wave radio,
189 kHz Talk Sport
198 kHz BBC-R 4
234 --- French
252 ---French
315 --- Absolute Radio
 
Last edited:
315 ?

In the car earlier I got four French, two English and a couple of other language stations on LW, plus a beacon transmitting morse code near the top end.
 
MW reception:-
648 kHz Radio Caroline much stronger signal than a few hours ago.
 
765 BBC Essex local radio for the East of England with Keith Skews
810 BBC Radio Scotland
828 Smooth Radio
 
Last edited:
882 BBC Radio Wales
909 Radio 5
1089 Talk Sport
1152 LBC
12015 Absolute Radio
1305 Premier Radio
1332 Premier Radio
1359 Smooth Radio
1431 Smooth Radio
1548 Gold
 
Last edited:
Found a pretty clear Russian speaking station on 1386 this evening. Reading some book... Any ideas on the source?
 
A lot quieter on medium-wave nowadays than a few years ago since all the outlets in France, Germany and Scandinavia switched off.

Here at night now the band is jam packed with Spanish stations mainly as they still use it pretty widely. RNE Radio Nacional, RNE R5 Todo Noticias, COPE, SER and others.

RNE R Nacional Madrid on 585kHz absolutely thunders in.

RDP Antena 1 from Portugal also comes in on 666/720/756kHz. You can get the satellite service that feeds these transmitters via 30°W on the RTP Radio transponder, with the service labelled “ONDA MEDIA” - Portuguese for medium wave :D

Hungary on 540kHz is another strong one, along with the couple of Rai stations from Italy, and a few North African stations.

I used to hear the Faroe Islands on 531kHz but now I can only hear Jil FM from Algeria mixed with Spanish.
 
There is a new station on 1476, Carillon Wellbeing Radio which is being received well all over Ireland. It is supposed to be low power 250 watts to cover the Leicestershire area, but it must be using a lot more power than that.

Carillon Radio – Health Radio on 1386 AM & 1431 AM
 
I recently took posession of an HF3 small communications receiver..
Nowhere near as sensitive as my old WW2 CR100 ...but it does theoretically go lower than the CR100s 60khz.
..all the way to 30khz .. VLF
Why would I want to go this low you may ask ...submarine coms ...
and although there are only markers and CW idents down there ...I wanted as much coverage of the spectrum as possible.
MSF @ 60khz moved from Rugby some years back now somewhere in cumbria I think..but can still be heard.. and is used to lock digital clocks accurately .
In truth I wanted to go ELF ...and once again hear whistlers.
Earths natural radio..
I may try this with a mains filter and PC audio card as a receiver at some point..
..a good few years since I tried it
..and at roughly 8.7hz is the frequency us humans run at..
we are all just electrical conduits afterall..
Tesla knew that of course.

.....now we are getting into 'spirit radio' territory ....wooooo.....woooooooo........


Oh and regarding Medium Wave reception..
You can of course use a long wire antenna ...but I have recently tried a miniwhip antenna with excellent results ..
positioned at roughly gutter height and well earthed..
it requires a bias T feed ..but is basically an RF probe..
Amazingly sensitive and takes up so little space.

 
Last edited:
Something I alluded to in the other thread a fortnight ago

Because of the extremely small bandwidth of the ELF band, the transmitters had a very slow data rate. They couldn't transmit voice (audio) but only short coded text messages of a few letters.[5][10] Reportedly it took 15 minutes to transmit a single three-letter code group

 
Back
Top