Analyze this!

ksada2

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM500s connected to wireless router. 60cm dish with Moteck motor.
My Location
Netherlands
Happy Easter everyone!

I'm trying to set up a dish for a relative and having trouble with it.

The dish is an 80cm mesh one from the analogue days, so is 10 or more years old but in perfect condition. The LNB is a Thomson quad, which had been used at a previous location with a Fortec Star dish, but not for the last 18 months.

I'm using a Konig satellite meter, and can't get a signal higher than 5, with the sensitivity set to almost its weakest setting. I am looking for 28.2E, and the meter does seem to indicate a higher reading when I find a signal, which gives me the impression that the LNB is indeed working.

The on screen sat finder function shows 59% no matter whether I point the dish to the ground, or straight up into the heavens. The receiver is working fine, I have tested it at my own house.

So, either the LNB is faulty, or the dish and LNB are not compatible with each other, but I have no clue how to find out what is the case. I suppose it could even be the cable, but that tests OK with a circuit tester.

Can anyone advise? Otherwise I will have to go out and buy a new dish and LNB, but really don't have much spare cash sitting around to spend it on this.

Cheers.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Well there might technically be a mismatch between the dish and LNB, as the old dishes were not of the shape now used for Sky digital - and for which LNBs have a marginally different feedhorn shape to true 40mm collar mount ones .............. but in the Netherlands with that size dish there really should not be a problem in practice.

So my guess is that you just haven't found the right Satellite and you need to carry on trying.

What receiver are use using, by the way?

ksada2

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM500s connected to wireless router. 60cm dish with Moteck motor.
My Location
Netherlands
Thanks

The receiver is a Dreambox 500