BSkyB to Revamp EPG

Sky+HD is being updated in the biggest change to Sky’s EPG since 1998. Once the change is implemented a few changes will be noticed on the layout of the home screen. This is because BskyB have decided to completely change things and want their new EPG to really focus on Catch-up TV.

There has been a huge increase in the demand for Catch-up TV and this new introduction from sky certainly makes it easier to find the on-demand content that customers want. The changes will not be rolled out to everyone just yet, but gradually over the next few months it will be introduced. This means that the on-demand services such as Sky Store and Sky+ Planner will now be alongside the usual channels, making things look smoother and simpler.

For those people who have already seen the change they will notice that the new homepage has a new search box which gives viewers the chance to really search for what they want based on actors, channels and certain keywords. It has never been so easy to find what you want. The home screen will now consist of Catch-Up TV, Box Sets, New Series, Best of On Demand and the Sky Store. These new windows will allow the viewer to navigate easily around the system to really find what they want. The visual improvements are for the better and everything is sharper than previously, with icons and text looking flatter with no rounded edges, which seems to be all the rage these days. This change does not need to worry those who are not keen on change as the whole interface still feels like Sky+ and that can only be a good thing.

One feature that jumps out at you is the “New Series” menu that is visible on the homepage. When this is clicked, access is given to all the new shows that have been shown on the Sky, Catch-Up TV has never been so popular and this is why Sky are really pushing for this to be the main feature of their system. The idea behind this is that they want viewers to discover new content quicker than ever, which can hopefully make it easier for viewers to decide what to watch as there has never been so much amazing television to choose from.

Alongside the new updated EPG, Sky are also planning to update their apps on offer so that they reflect the new EPG. The apps will provide a similar look and feel and it will enable the viewer to really be in control on the move. Being able to switch off the Sky+HD box using your phone is a great addition and being able to queue Sky Store Titles certainly brings the world of television to the fingertips of viewers.

Attachments

• BSkyB Sky EPG.jpeg
    BSkyB Sky EPG.jpeg
    19.6 KB · Views: 4,970
Sky+HD is being updated in the biggest change to Sky’s EPG since 1998. Once the change is implemented a few changes will be noticed on the layout of the home screen. This is because BskyB have decided to completely change things and want their new EPG to really focus on Catch-up TV.

There has been a huge increase in the demand for Catch-up TV and this new introduction from sky certainly makes it easier to find the on-demand content that customers want. The changes will not be rolled out to everyone just yet, but gradually over the next few months it will be introduced. This means that the on-demand services such as Sky Store and Sky+ Planner will now be alongside the usual channels, making things look smoother and simpler.

For those people who have already seen the change they will notice that the new homepage has a new search box which gives viewers the chance to really search for what they want based on actors, channels and certain keywords. It has never been so easy to find what you want. The home screen will now consist of Catch-Up TV, Box Sets, New Series, Best of On Demand and the Sky Store. These new windows will allow the viewer to navigate easily around the system to really find what they want. The visual improvements are for the better and everything is sharper than previously, with icons and text looking flatter with no rounded edges, which seems to be all the rage these days. This change does not need to worry those who are not keen on change as the whole interface still feels like Sky+ and that can only be a good thing.

One feature that jumps out at you is the “New Series” menu that is visible on the homepage. When this is clicked, access is given to all the new shows that have been shown on the Sky, Catch-Up TV has never been so popular and this is why Sky are really pushing for this to be the main feature of their system. The idea behind this is that they want viewers to discover new content quicker than ever, which can hopefully make it easier for viewers to decide what to watch as there has never been so much amazing television to choose from.

Alongside the new updated EPG, Sky are also planning to update their apps on offer so that they reflect the new EPG. The apps will provide a similar look and feel and it will enable the viewer to really be in control on the move. Being able to switch off the Sky+HD box using your phone is a great addition and being able to queue Sky Store Titles certainly brings the world of television to the fingertips of viewers.

That sounds like my VM Tivo box with a blue jumper on (instead of its VM red one on lol)

The only thing I think the Tivo doesn't do that's posted above is the show New Series thing, it does offer suggestions though i.e. if I liked Air Crash Investigation it would show a picture of Seconds From Disaster at the top of the home screen or record it to the suggestions folder.
I know that's not like showing new series but I'm sure with a tweak and an over night update the Tivo could soon do the same for new stuff too (it might already do it to be honest because I never look at the suggestions bar at the top when I'm flicking through the menus).

First thing I did when we got our new 2TB box was turn push downloads off :D

I've never had that turned on didn't see the point as most of the program's I have set to record anyway that would be on there.

Off topic but how much did the 2tb box cost ?

Off topic but how much did the 2tb box cost ?

I bought the cheapest one I could find on amazon - about £250 if i recall correctly. Wasnt going to be much cheaper supplied by Sky & the delivery time was much quicker!

Theres also the issue there is absolutely no way Id ever let a sky "installer" anywhere near my cabling & Sky wanted some silly money just for a self install.

good article thanks .
i don't like the new EPG much, it feels a bit like forced advertising as the "todays top picks" panel is HUGE compared to everything else :eek:
cheers Rob

It was updated a few weeks ago again. I like it - it seems more streamlined but I agree that there's an increasingly large focus on On-Demand stuff as opposed to actual satellite TV.

It was updated a few weeks ago again. I like it - it seems more streamlined but I agree that there's an increasingly large focus on On-Demand stuff as opposed to actual satellite TV.
there was a new update last week, as i say, the " encouraged" viewing is HUGE ,, you can see what i mean below .. its ridiculous, as the regular tv guide box etc is tiny..
2016-09-06 09.40.06.jpg

Last edited:
99% of the time we only use TV Guide to schedule recordings and Planner to watch them back. We hardly ever watch anything live. Catch Up TV is lacking in content - it's nowhere near what you get on a real iPlayer etc., so we avoid it. Sky Cinema and Sports you have to have subscription for, and we don't, so they are irrelevant.