Cannot receive a channel?

blackgrass

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Do not know
My Location
north cornwall uk
Hi, I don`t know whether this is both the right forum or the right website to ask this, but I have only a bog standard tv..& suddenly lost bbc 2..I cannot get it on any other channel either..just the standard bbc 1 & ITV /channel 4 channels.
Would anybody know why this has happened?:confused

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
I'm guessing that it is most likely beacuse Digital switchover has occurred in your area and you need to retune to get the channels back, and also possibly upgrade/change your aerial. Check the Digital UK webiste, I belive that there is retuning info on there.

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
Throughout this year the West Country TV switches over to digital television.

Websites might be of some interest >

_http://www.cornwall.gov.uk/default.aspx?page=6002
_http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/

irart

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky Freesat in UK,
Astra 1 ana/dig in UK
using Technomate -5000 DAPCI,
Astra 2 South Beam and Eurobird in Spain.
My Location
Cornwall, UK
You are correct Robbo. The digital change over began on the 8th of July here in Cornwall. I am guessing that blackgrass - you only have analogue TV, as BBC 2 was the first to go. The other four channels will be going off shortly. You will, as Robbo suggests, need to check the digital uk website for advice. I can't think how you missed details of the change over, it has been well advertised for the past few months. We have even had large signs on street lamp posts locally!

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
Just re-read the OP's post and noticed the 'bog standard' TV, which I assume means analogue.

If this is the case, you'll also need to buy a new Digital TV or a Freeview box.

Alternatively, you can stick up a dish and get the channels from satellite with a sat receiver (eg Freesat) .

blackgrass

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Do not know
My Location
north cornwall uk
yes..your right..I just `assumed` too much..assumed we had the right aerial etc. But got an old tv..& trying to find the best deal thats a one off payment. if you go for freeview you don`t get bbc /ITVchannels etc..the ones I am used to..I have found though that freesat..I think will get these channels & more.
I think I will have to get another tv & something else..a dish I think so not sure how much this rip off is going to cost..just like the decimalisation etc, etc!)(-red

blackgrass

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Do not know
My Location
north cornwall uk
robbo must have posted same things, same time..thanks!

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
No, with Freeview you will get all the channels you get now, plus loads more, assuming that your aerial is up to it of course, my knowledge of Digital terrestrial TV is very limited.

Probably, cheapest thing to do to start with is to get a Freeview reciever, connect it all up, and see what you get, it might just be all OK straight off. The digital transmissions can be very strong in some areas post switchover.

You should be able to pick up a Freeview box from one of the site sponsors for about £40.

irart

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky Freesat in UK,
Astra 1 ana/dig in UK
using Technomate -5000 DAPCI,
Astra 2 South Beam and Eurobird in Spain.
My Location
Cornwall, UK
Blackgrass, does your present TV have a scart socket? If it doesn't you are limited with what sort of a freeview box you get, as most do not work without a scart lead. If you have no scart socket, you will need a new TV with built in freeview, or a digital box with a built in RF modulator.
The other alternative is a dish aligned to Astra 2 satellite (the same as a Sky dish)
and either a Sky or Freesat box for reception.

blackgrass

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Do not know
My Location
north cornwall uk
No I don`t have a scart plug..damn & blast..that means I have to buy a new tv or buy one which has this inside an IDTV!!)(-red)(-red
Thanks for pointing this out, else I would have bought maybe the wrong thing.:-worship