Change from Sky Q to Freesat Help required

Pincera

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky Q, Freesat 4k box
My Location
midlands
After 25 + years I have decided to move away from Sky an have purchase a Freesat recordable box and it works fine.

I noticed on my TCL tv that it had a "F" button on it and above it are the words Freesat Play, which I understand is an on demand service ! The TV also has an F type connector and has a satellite symbol above it, this confused me so I contacted the manufacturer to clarify the type of tuner within the TV.

This is their reply
Based on our information, the TV does have a satellite tuner and should be compatible.

This model has the following specifications:

• DTV Tuner: DVB-T2/C/S2
  • Sat: Diseq / Unicable: Yes (V.2.2.)

The reply has added to my confusion as I understand the "T" in DVB-T2/C/S2 denotes Terrestrial, my understanding is this tuner only receives Terrestrial signal rather than satellite signals.

My plan was to use the Freesat box in our living room and if my TCL TV, in the conservatory, supported Freesat I would change out the Dish Wideband LNB from a duel to a quad and run a single coax feed into the conservatory and use my TCL TV, in the conservatory. There little point in this if the TV tuner does not support Satellite signals!!!!

I may be the one who is confused so I would be grateful for the input of someone who has a greater knowledge of these things than I do.

ozumo

te wo tsuite
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Raven mk2 zone 2 x4, Channel Master: 90cm x3, 1.2m x2, 1.8m PF. CM polar mount x2, Az/El x3.
My Location
South Durham
DVB-T2/C/S2 means terrestrial/cable/satellite however the television will not work with your current wideband LNB - only the Freesat 4K boxes will work with it. If you have a 4K box you could get a hybrid LNB and use one of the LNB's universal outputs for the TV.

Pincera

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky Q, Freesat 4k box
My Location
midlands
Thank you for the reply, my concern is, even if I connect the TCL TV, to the dish via a Hybrid LNB, will the TVs DVB-T2/C/S2 tuner be able to handle a non terrestrial signal!!!!

ozumo

te wo tsuite
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Raven mk2 zone 2 x4, Channel Master: 90cm x3, 1.2m x2, 1.8m PF. CM polar mount x2, Az/El x3.
My Location
South Durham
Yes, S2 = DVB-S2 satellite, though there may not be a full 7-day EPG as the TCL televisions I've seen only have generic satellite capability and not Freesat - UK FTA channels only carry now & next information.

Pincera

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky Q, Freesat 4k box
My Location
midlands
Yes, S2 = DVB-S2 satellite, though there may not be a full 7-day EPG as the TCL televisions I've seen only have generic satellite capability and not Freesat - UK FTA channels only carry now & next information.
Thank you both for the reassurance I will give it a go :Y

Satspot

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate TM5402 M4
1.2m Triax dish
Technomate H to H motor
My Location
Ireland
Have the same TV as you. Just to confirm it does indeed have both a DVBS and DVBT tuner built in and works fine. If you’re not looking for any fancy features it will do the job for Freesat/Freeview and any other DVBS free to view channels. Quite simple to tune and operate too. No need for an additional external tuner either. Good 4K quality pictures too.

Pincera

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky Q, Freesat 4k box
My Location
midlands
Have the same TV as you. Just to confirm it does indeed have both a DVBS and DVBT tuner built in and works fine. If you’re not looking for any fancy features it will do the job for Freesat/Freeview and any other DVBS free to view channels. Quite simple to tune and operate too. No need for an additional external tuner either. Good 4K quality pictures too.
Just looking at Quad hybrid LNBs now :Y

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire

Pincera

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky Q, Freesat 4k box
My Location
midlands
It was the Labgear one I was looking at, I probably need to have it installed it for me I am technically capable, Radio Amateur for 40 plus years, but I am in my 70s and its best to stay away from ladders at my age.

When you get older you don't bounce as well as you did when you were younger:rolleyes:

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
It was the Labgear one I was looking at, I probably need to have it installed it for me I am technically capable, Radio Amateur for 40 plus years, but I am in my 70s and its best to stay away from ladders at my age.

When you get older you don't bounce as well as you did when you were younger:rolleyes:
Also in my seventies Pincera, but sadly still needing to do ladder and roof work, can't afford to retire.:)