Decent freeview boxes?

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham
Well, I'm looking for a decent freeview box, one that can discriminate between different transmitters (something my Oggles can't do, hence why I'm looking for a new one), and isn't so cheap that it'll break in a few months...

I've looked at Humax ones, but they're pretty expensive for what they are, so I'd like something upto about £30 tops. PVR function is not necessary, and a UHF modulator isn't required either, so, any recommendations would be great... :)

Thanks... :)

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
Sagem seem to be okay from those I've installed.

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
I agree Sagem are very good and the software is reliable and bug free

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Chalk up another for Sagem, though I only have personal experience of their non-HD boxes.

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Sagem it is then, I was just looking at a philips box and tempted by it and it's price, but, now I know, it'll be sagem instead.... :)

It's the mother wanting the box really, she wants my Philips combi TV in her room (though given that it's crackling and popping a lot, I doubt it has long left in the world!!!), just need to work out how to get a decent aerial signal to her room... :D

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
2cvbloke said:
just need to work out how to get a decent aerial signal to her room... :D

Should be pretty straight forward if you already have a distribution amplifier :)

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
satelliteman said:
Should be pretty straight forward if you already have a distribution amplifier :)

Which we don't... :p

The TV aerial (only a single line off that going down to the living room) is in the attic above her room, but there's a foot of bright pink insulation and my wide belleh in the way of going up there and dropping a cable to her room, otherwise it'd be a simple job, but we'll see, a set-top aerial might be good enough up there... :)

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Well, I landed myself a Humax F2 Fox-T today, £4 at the local car boot, and it's working great, transmitter discrimination's perfect, picture's wonderful and clear, and it works so fast, it's brilliant... :D

The TV's still in the kitchen though, running off a cheap pound shop indoor aerial (which is "mounted" in the workshop (one of the elements is jammed up into an empty screw hole, works great!!!)), and not a problem so far, I like it... :)

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
An enterprising solution, deux-chevaux.

Lack of DTT here until 2012 (and probably not even then) was wot got us into DSAT.

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Tivù said:
An enterprising solution, deux-chevaux.

Lack of DTT here until 2012 (and probably not even then) was wot got us into DSAT.

The aerial was meant to be temporary, but, it's been up for a couple of years, so, if it works, why change it? :D

It's annoying how there are areas without digital TV in one form or another, yes pretty much everywhere is served by $ky, but there are places where Freeview isn't transmitted, and there are cabled areas still using ancient analogue cable boxes, all cos they can't be bothered to upgrade, at least, not until 2012 for most operators... :confused

Still, I'm pleased with the Humax, especially for £4... :D