Digital Leveller - Accurate description ?

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Teldis Digital Cluster Leveller for Limavady xmtr (TDCL/02)

Description
The Digital Cluster Leveller (DCL) is a device that has been designed for the simultaneous filtering and level control of digital and analogue terrestrial television services. The filters very effectively remove the spurious outputs generated by the set top box modulators. Each unit has up to six filter paths that are individually tuned to pass single or groups (clusters) of channels and to give as much rejection as possible to unwanted portions of the RF spectrum. Inherent insertion loss is low, between 3 - 4 dB. The DCL digital cluster levellers deal with channels in small groups carefully selected to suit the local transmitter. Although the DCL does not give individual control of each channel or multiplex, for most small system applications the level of adjustment that can be applied is more than adequate.

I am assuming this device is usually installed just after a rack of DTV units in a set of flats, but I have seen at least three this week in buildings where there is simply an aerial, and high gain amplifier distributing to a block of flats. What purpose would this serve ?

Am I missing something ?

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham
Sounds like a gimmick to me, a placebo effect type thing. If a setup works, then why change what's there? :confused

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Similar units are used in an Integrated reception system for off air signals, it is so that you can adjust the signal strength of both analogue channels and digital multiplexes prior to launch, applying a slope where necessary.

Johansson Profiler
Particularly useful if pulling from more than one transmitter.

Haven't really had much need to use them on my jobs, as most are not more than 12 apartments. :)

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
I would assume the most useful place for them would be just after the main amplifier, to suppress any spurious oubursts, from anything non digital (and a lot of the amps installed are definitely a decade in place.

But no, these are installed just below the aerial (or FM combiner).

somebody needs educating.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
The Profiler is also a launch amp. :)

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Thanks

I will do some rewiring next week and take some measurements.

A nonymous

Reaction score
Would i be right in asuming you install IRS systems aswell Rolf :eek:

Small world isn't it :-rofl2

:-beer

Nano

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Yes I do. :) Mainly small ones though. :)