Digital picture quality

Pullet_Surprise

Reaction score
My Location
York's
I’ve just got a Philips wide screen TV with built in freeview. The digital signal is pretty poor for some reason, its blurry and becomes grainy especially around high detail like the crowd at the Olympic opening. The analogue picture is spot on as is the picture via DVD or my satellite receiver.

I’ve tuned the thing to my nearest transmitter and the reception reports as excellent; I’ve tried the 5 different mux frequencies to little avail. The picture almost ghosts and fades in and out like you see in very strong winds. Anyone know what the problem might be?

I had a separate nokia box prior to this and had no problems whatsoever the picture was rock steady.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Sounds like a set problem mate, digital signals do not fade and ghost, so it must be a fault with the set. Sounds like a trip back to the shop to me.

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
Did you read the post below this one entitled aerial install software ?

Mentions the same kind of problems...

Also, did you try swapping SCART sockets on the telly (assuming it has more than one)?

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
BGonaSTICK said:
Did you read the post below this one entitled aerial install software ?

Mentions the same kind of problems...

Also, did you try swapping SCART sockets on the telly (assuming it has more than one)?
Sorry, div mode on... just re-read your post. Don't think that's gonna help if it's built-in!

jimbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky HD, TM6800HD, Manhattan Plaza ST550 and TM1500 CI+. 1.0m dish and 36v motor, Panasonic DVD HDD recorder and Panasonic video/DVD recorder. Sony G800 HD TV stand/surround system + Sony KDL40W2000. Infinity USB, Elvis, CAS1, CAS2.
My Location
Greater London
Philips do seem to have various picture modes which incorporate technology to 'enhance' quality. Is it possible to use a different mode for freeview rather than the one for analogue. I have a fairly new Philips (no freeview) but it has around 6 or 7 picture modes.

Pullet_Surprise

Reaction score
My Location
York's
I rang the shop today they said it was the aerial. I rang the philips helpline they said it was the aerial. I plugged in my nokia set top box and used the same uhf frequency and aerial as to the tv and the picture is spot on via the nokia?

The supplier gave me a number to ring for a philips engineer to come out and look at it. If its my fault and its the aerial then I get charged a call out fee, tv's fault philips pay. Funny thing is the signal on the tv pixelated and broke up like crazy on ITV yet the set top box is perfect? I cant understand how the signal can be reading 90% and excellent and yet the picture quality is wank. Might be a duffer like you say Rolf?

Tried through two aerials loft and external both give a soild signal?

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
I have this problem occasionally Pete, customer rings me up and says the TV shop has said that he needs a digital aerial, customer asks me why he paid me for one that doesn't work. I end up having to go and see him with another digital receiver and prove to him that the signal is fine. TV shop then say OK, we'll come and get the set, meanwhile it's costing me money.

Pullet_Surprise

Reaction score
My Location
York's
Can't see any pictures modes Jimbo?

This thing is driving me nuts its was fine this morning, then I was watching a channel and suddenly the screen went completely green for a few seconds, then it went black and a philips logo popped up. Then it went black for a few seconds and the picture reappeared. I just know when somebody comes out it will be fine!!!

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Sounds like a faulty box for it to lock up like that

Ask the company to bring round a separate Freeview box as well as a replacement, and leave it with you. You can then make the choice on which one you keep once youve had a chance to play with both

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon, Dreambox 8000, Echostar AD3000ip, TBS6522,6925,6983 PCie cards.
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
The Flatlands of East Anglia
This thing is driving me nuts its was fine this morning, then I was watching a channel and suddenly the screen went completely green for a few seconds, then it went black and a philips logo popped up. Then it went black for a few seconds and the picture reappeared. I just know when somebody comes out it will be fine!!!

Ah,the Philips logo. Sounds like an EEprom problem to me. Definitely one for the shop.They'll put it into service mode and either reprogram or failing that, replace.

Pullet_Surprise

Reaction score
My Location
York's
@Llew

Nice one. The engineers said they would need to take the set away so I kicked up a fuss. I rang the shop again and told them what happened and they said they would send me a replacement set when they get some in stock later this week.

Pullet_Surprise

Reaction score
My Location
York's
Well I think I finally cracked it. A guy in my local sat shop said that I was getting too strong a signal (news to me) so he said try a variable attenuator, works fine now. Watched the signal drop down from 90% to around 50% before my eyes, only a fiver as well.

Perserverance wins the crown and all that. The best advice is always free isn't it:)

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
Pullet_Surprise said:
A guy in my local sat shop said that I was getting too strong a signal
Luxury that I can't imagine...

PaulR