Ditching Sky

Jonnyrobbo

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky q
My Location
West Yorkshire
Hi guys, I'm a Newby so appolise in advance if this is posted in the wrong section.
After several Sky price increases I've decided I'm going to go it alone.... I'm hoping for advice on connecting a freesat box to my current Sky dish..
After a bit of research I'm confused about which Sat box to get... Apparently there's lnb issues with certain set top boxs..
I'm hoping you guys could point me in the right direction..... I was thinking maybe a cheap 2nd hand box to start with just to make sure the system works, then maybe a recorder box when the system is verified as working...
Any advice would be appreciated... Thanks in advance...
Ps, is there also a sales section within this group.

ozumo

te wo tsuite
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Raven mk2 zone 2 x4, Channel Master: 90cm x3, 1.2m x2, 1.8m PF. CM polar mount x2, Az/El x3.
My Location
South Durham
If you had Sky Q and the LNB has two outputs then only the 4K Freesat boxes will work. If you change to a mk4 Sky universal quad LNB any Freesat box will work.

If you have Sky+ HD any Freesat box will work.

Jonnyrobbo

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky q
My Location
West Yorkshire
Would a replacement Skyq box work? I've seen them for sale on EBay n other sites?

ozumo

te wo tsuite
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Raven mk2 zone 2 x4, Channel Master: 90cm x3, 1.2m x2, 1.8m PF. CM polar mount x2, Az/El x3.
My Location
South Durham
Technically they're still all owned by Sky and should have been returned after the subscription ended. At best you'd be able to view free-to-air channels but no recording or streaming, and I'm not even sure it would work at all.

Jonnyrobbo

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky q
My Location
West Yorkshire
Thanks for the info..

Jonnyrobbo

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky q
My Location
West Yorkshire
What's the difference between HD and 4k..... I'm seeing a few for sale advertised as HD, are these the same as 4k?

ozumo

te wo tsuite
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
South Durham
Maximum resolution:
HD = 1920 x 1080
4K = 3840 x 2160

The only official Freesat boxes that will work with a Sky Q LNB are Freesat 4K receivers.

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
1920 x 1080 can also be described as 2K, although I think there is more than one type of 2K.