Do I need installation?

1960darrenh

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
At the moment, Sky.
My Location
Northamptonshire, England
I have been reading about this new freesat service. I already have Sky (which I am cancelling) and am aware that I can use my existing dish with this new service. From what I have read in the other forums, the dish is already aligned for this freesat so would I still need to pay for installation? There would be nothing for them to install as I would just go in town and buy HD Freesat Box and connect it myself. :confused

Also which box is recommended for sound,picture and reliability? I have seen some HD boxes for about £80 and some for £150 and wondered if there would be much difference in quality.

To be able to record "SKY" programs you need Sky+, how do I record off freesat? Can I buy a generic PVR or DVD recorder? Will it work with the freesat EPG?

Many thanks in advance.

:)

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
Hi,

That is correct, if you already have a dish lined up for Sky you don't need installation.

I have not seen any Freesat HD boxes for £80. Argos do a couple, one is about £150 the other is about £120. So you could just pop along, get one, connect it up and you are more or less sorted.

Incidently, if you have a SD Sky box, it will receive all the SD Freesat channels anyway, plus quite a few extra, plus any FTV channels with the ex-subs card.

They are suposed to be releasing Freesat PVRs at some point, so it may be worth holding out for one of those.

I have a separate HDD recorder I use to record from my satelite box (not Freesat), so I just set the timer separately.

I did try and get it to do it automatically, but every time I tried it kept missing parts of the programmes. Maybe the Freesat boxes work better I don't know.

Robbo:)