Dreambox 7000 (& 500s)
20G Hd/512 Usb,
Gemini 4.20 & Mgcamd 1.27,
Belkin router hard wired,
Dreambox Keyboard,
Dual Boot XP/Ubuntu
My Location
UK
Having owned a 7000s since 2004, I could never understand the need for a keyboard until one became available on Ebay recently. This forum was the only place where there seemed to be any interest in the topic and it was due to the information unearthed by HB13DISH that I decided to buy one.

I have been delighted with its use with the E-Mail and Browser plugins and have also used it for entering keys. For information, the full range of letters and numbers is available, both with Tuxcom and on Internet, which makes for great efficiency compared with the limited functionality of the remote.

Both the E-Mail and Browser plugins seem to be in a state of early development and hopefully later versions will extend the current somewhat basic capabilities. With Dreambox-Multimedia ceasing to trade, it is difficult to obtain other than top level user information on the keyboard and I wonder if members can me help solve some of these minor problems:-

1. The integral mouse doesn't work. I have googled GPM (mouse server for linux) but it sounds very complicated. Is there a simple solution?
2. When entering text in e-mails, the "?" character appears when pressing the shift key. (Backspace removes it.)
3. You need to use the remote as well as the keyboard, to perform some functions. eg. Yellow key in Gemini 4.10 (to get the plugin menu). Moving the mouse pointer needs the remote arrow keys.
4. What interface and software is required to edit the key functions?

Generally, being informed on the Dreambox LCD that I have an e-mail and being able to quickly access the simpler websites is a big plus. With evolving plugins, things can only get better.

Thanks again to HB13DISH, for being a great catalyst.

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
Hello langstone,
I see from your post that there is a mention of Gemini 4.10
If this is your 7000S image version, then you might like to consider changing it to Gemini 4.2 instead (I have 4.0 but will flash the 4.2 when I have the time)
Gemini 4.10 is buggy and it it only lasted few weeks.
Some of the plugins were reported to behave strangely.
Check then if you still have the same problems or at least not that many.

langstone

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000 (& 500s)
20G Hd/512 Usb,
Dreambox Keyboard,
Dual Boot XP/Ubuntu
My Location
UK
Thanks HB13DISH,

I have noticed one or two problems recently, such as enigma restarting occasionally when changing channels. I suspected the old 7000s power supply problem, due to my recent additions, but now I think it may have been caused when I upgraded to 4.10.

In this game it is always difficult to sort out coincidences and things change too quickly to conduct controlled experiments. That is why the input from fellow members is so useful.

langstone

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000 (& 500s)
20G Hd/512 Usb,
Dreambox Keyboard,
Dual Boot XP/Ubuntu
My Location
UK
Hi again HB13DISH,

Have now upgraded to Gemini 4.20 (with problems of Hotbird (13°E) not locking until I put in new satellites.XML file) but have still had the enigma restart when changing channel or going from a plugin back to a channel.

Thanks for your suggestion anyway.

v9oly

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 500S & 7020s. Technomate 9100 & 1500. Force frontier fixed, Raven 90 fixed, Triax 90 motorised dish. Diablo & dragon cams.
My Location
South West
I have had a restart (once) when using the email program with 4.20, but then I experienced the same with 4.0.
Using 4.2, have had no other problems with the epg plugin or hacksat key updater yet...

Regards,
Ollie

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
Hello langstone,

Thanks for your input. I will remember this when I do the upgrade.
The Gemini 4.20 is going to be here for a long time, perhaps till the end of 2008, so I heard. Lets make the best of it.
Which plugin is giving you problems?
I only had to restart with the Links web browser, especially after visiting a dodgy website. But most websites which are basically textual (eurotv for example), the transition is smooth.
Let us know if you have the same problems mentioned in Post #1.

langstone

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000 (& 500s)
20G Hd/512 Usb,
Dreambox Keyboard,
Dual Boot XP/Ubuntu
My Location
UK
I have identified the event causing the Enigma restart referred to in message #3.

After using the Links Web-browser, the exit (lame) key enables return to the TV programme, as expected. It is a subsequent attempt to change channel or bouquet that results in Enigma restarting. These changes have been checked to work normally, before using the plug-in.

This suggest that the Links Web-browser plug-in does not reset the system to its original state on its exit. I don't recall this problem occurring before Gemini 4, so I am not sure whether it is an image or plug-in problem. I have at least isolated the problem to be software, rather than power supply induced.