DreamBox Keyboard

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
I am interested in buying DreamBox Keyboard for 7000S.
The cheapest I can find is ~ 50 quid.
Has anybody got this keyboard from a cheaper source and also if I can use a different IR keyboard instead which is compatible with the DreamBox.

billnot

Growing Old Disgracefully
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Famaval 3,1, IP9000HD plus other FTA and Linux boxes - Astra 1&2, Hotbird, Hispasat
My Location
Benitachell, Alicante, Spain
I have a Dreambox keyboard, and I have to tell you it's a waste of money.

I thought you'd be able to enter text in the Dreambox menus by using the letter keys. You can't. It's still multiple presses of the number keys.

The letter keys are apparently there for things like web surfing and e-mailing, for which I use my computer anyway.

My advice? Save your money.

If you really want one, then make me an offer!

john_graydon

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Azbox premium HD+,Dusty Dreambox 7000s,& Sky HD.
My Location
Dublin....Ireland
Just another useless add on so.

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
billnot said:
I have a Dreambox keyboard, and I have to tell you it's a waste of money.

I thought you'd be able to enter text in the Dreambox menus by using the letter keys. You can't. It's still multiple presses of the number keys.

The letter keys are apparently there for things like web surfing and e-mailing, for which I use my computer anyway.

My advice? Save your money.

If you really want one, then make me an offer!

Hi billnot,

Thank you for your reply, advice and the offer.
I installed recently the e-mail plugin and I find it very useful to check my mail during the night using the box.
But it is not convenient to reply with the usual remote and I thought that the DreamBox Keyboard would be very helpful.
Before you part with your keyboard, I think that you might like to install it also and maybe you would then decide to keep it. It would take you less than 30 minutes to set it up and get it to work.
(there is a new thread in the Idiot's Guide)

Let me know afterwards if you still want to sell it.

billnot

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Famaval 3,1, IP9000HD plus other FTA and Linux boxes - Astra 1&2, Hotbird, Hispasat
My Location
OK. Thanks for the advice. I'll check it out.

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
With the price of a Dreambox Keyboard at about 50 quid plus shipment, I thought it might be cheaper to use a standard keyboard in liason with the remote.

I would like to report that it is possible to use a standard keyboard to type a reply to e-mail messages, when the TuxMail is loaded.
You need to use the remote in order to click on the coloured buttons and other functions.

Connect a standard keyboard with USB plug to the USB receptacle on the back of DreamBox 7000S.
With an extension USB cable you can type while sitting in your TV couch.

Switch on the box and load the Tuxmail.
With the green button, it is possible to edit an e-mail message.
Click the yellow button several times until Keyboard is displayed.
Move the curser to a new line and start typing a short reply with the keyboard.
All the ASCII characters can be typed as if you are typing using a PC.
Also the space, delete, backspace, etc are functional.
The Shift, Alt, Ctrl keys are not functional.
When you are ready to send the reply, click on the yellow button until you see ABC
Click OK and a popup message asks you if you want to send the message
Click OK and the message is sent successfully.

Off course it is better to use a lightweight slim wireless keyboard instead of a leaded one.
Will test this possibilty soon.
The price of a wireless keyboard is still a lot cheaper than 50 quid.

The only problem that I can see at the moment is that if you have a USB stick already for the /var , then you might need a USB hub with several inputs in order to accomodate both the USB stick and the USB wireless receiver.

Update:
It is also possible to edit text files using a keyboard.
For example, if you have Tux Commander, load it and then edit config files or keys.
You need to press OK on the remote in order to enable editting with the keyboard. (The Enter key is not functional in this case)

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1 GigaBlue Quad plus, 1 Dreambox 5620, MOTECK SG2100A DISEqC Motor, 120 cm noname offset dish, Humax 95 cm offset dish and a few UK digiboxes.
My Location
Somewhere where the Sauer is Kraut and the Wurst is Brat
Nice going HB, when you are ready add this info to the idiot guide as well! I don't have a USB on my box, but still it is a nice thing you have discovered!

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
T_G said:
Nice going HB, when you are ready add this info to the idiot guide as well! I don't have a USB on my box, but still it is a nice thing you have discovered!

Thanks T_G
I will do that after I test a wireless keyboard as well.

The keyboard is really very helpful. Sorry that your receiver doesn't have a USB connector.
The only possibility for you that I can think of at the moment is to consider buying the DreamBox Keyboard.
It has nice features such as: Size, weight, ergo, function keys that can be programmed, etc.
I think that there should be two versions: The German version and the English version.

The German keyboard costs at hm-sat 69 Euro and the English one 49 quid.
I am sure that one can find them at a cheaper price than those.

But I see that it is supposed to be wireless, and there is no info about how to connect to your box. It may requires a USB connector at the back for the USB wireless receiver, if this is how it works. Worth checking this point.

billnot

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
The Dreambox keyboard (don't forget I have one) doesn't "connect" to the box - it just works in the same way as the remote does.

Although I was disappointed in that you can't enter program descriptions, etc using the keyboard, I have to give it its due in that it worked straight out of the box.

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
billnot said:
The Dreambox keyboard (don't forget I have one) doesn't "connect" to the box - it just works in the same way as the remote does.

Although I was disappointed in that you can't enter program descriptions, etc using the keyboard, I have to give it its due in that it worked straight out of the box.

Thank you billnot. Looks like it is IR, not wireless.

By connection I meant the method of interfacing with the box, since I wasn't sure if it is IR or wireless.
The description given in shops is that it is "wireless" and this is why I was alarmed since I didn't want T_G to consider buying something that is not suitable to his box.

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
Bought this Mini Keyboard USB from A4 Tech (on the right). No keypad.
Works very well with the 7000S
Weighs only 500 gm

KL-5-5b.gif

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1 GigaBlue Quad plus, 1 Dreambox 5620, MOTECK SG2100A DISEqC Motor, 120 cm noname offset dish, Humax 95 cm offset dish and a few UK digiboxes.
My Location
Somewhere where the Sauer is Kraut and the Wurst is Brat
HB13DISH said:
Bought this Mini Keyboard USB from A4 Tech (on the right). No keypad.
Works very well with the 7000S
Weighs only 500 gm

KL-5-5b.gif

Nice. What is the size of it?

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
The size is 32x16cm, height ~ 1cm