DVD and HDD recorder to use with two satellite inputs?

Reaction score
Website
www.independentliving.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
Elap motorised satellite dish and digital receiver disecq 1.2
My Location
Normandy, France
I need to replace a Daewoo HDD and DVD recorder which has just died. I need something that will take signals from two satellite set-top boxes (setup is in France, picking up French digital and UK digital broadcasts).

Ideally, I'd like something easy to set up and use, and not too expensive!

We had the Daewoo for a few years; most annoying thing about it was that it was very noisy.

If anyone has any suggestions, I'd be really grateful. I have looked at the Samsung DVD-SH893, which sounds okay, but I'm not really clued-up enough to know whether it will do what I need to.

Thanks in advance for any ideas!

Chris_Lucid

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky+HD, Acer 4233WLMi laptop
My Location
Middlewich, Cheshire
If I was in your shoes I'd start by looking for a recorder with two AV inputs. The best way to check that is by looking at the user manuals. Most manufacturers make these available in the support sections of their web sites.

Incidentally, I had a quick look at some of the owner reviews for that Samsung. There's a lot of very negative comments.

Reaction score
Website
www.independentliving.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
Elap motorised satellite dish and digital receiver disecq 1.2
My Location
Normandy, France
Thanks – that's a really good idea, checking the manuals for two AV inputs. Yes, I belatedly read some reviews of the Samsung, and they are pretty offputting!

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Not really au fait with these type of recorders, but with so many PVR satellite receivers around, either with built in drives, or the ability to record to USB drives straight from an EPG, it may be worth considering upgrading the satellite receivers, rather than replacing the recorder.