Advice Needed /etc/resolv.conf - rouge entries on Enigma2 box

sophie101

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
* Currently
1 x off set 60cm for 28.2e
1 x 60cm for 5w + 13e + 19.2e
Quad LNBs on each sent to different receivers in different flats.
My Location
belgium
Hi all,

Enigma2 question.

My Enigma2 box does not use DHCP. It is a static address.

I have this in:

Code:
# cat /etc/resolv.conf
nameserver 2606:4700:4700::1111
nameserver 1.1.1.1
nameserver 9.9.9.9

I deleted the IPv6 nameserver because this breaks DNS resolution.

Every few mins later, a process puts back the IPv6 name server, and DNS breaks again.

I added this to /etc/network/interfaces, but the IPv6 name server keeps getting put back:-

Code:
# cat /etc/network/interfaces
# automatically generated by enigma2
# do NOT change manually!

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

auto wlan0
iface wlan0 inet static
  hostname $(hostname)
    address 192.168.1.128
    netmask 255.255.255.0
    pre-up wpa_supplicant -iwlan0 -c/etc/wpa_supplicant.wlan0.conf -B -dd -Dnl80211 || true
    pre-down wpa_cli -iwlan0 terminate || true
    ns-nameservers 1.1.1.1
    ns-nameservers 9.9.9.9

iface eth0 inet dhcp
udhcpc_opts -T1 -t9
  hostname $(hostname)

The IPv6 is a cloudflare nameserver equivilent for 1.1.1.1. Using this breaks all DNS resolution.

What is updating the /etc/resolv.conf ?

Last edited:

sophie101

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
* Currently
My Location
belgium
This is the culprit: odhcp6c

Killed odhcp6c and /etc/resolv.conf was not updated. This is not needed because I set a static address.

So, how to stop this?

I can always remove :

Code:
/etc/network/if-up.d/odhcp6c
/etc/network/if-down.d/odhcp6c

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
No idea. However, I personally stay away from the likes of OpenVix. On paper, it's a decent image and I used it extensively in the past. But they try to make it so idiot-proof that they end up with too many services stepping on each other's toes. In my experience, it's a horrible image with a downright rude "support" forum. Not once have they actually answered any of my questions in a helpful manner beyond "it's your fault, mate".

Stick with simpler images like OpenATV or OpenPLI.

Either way, whatever image you're using, you should really be asking these questions on their forums. There are too many differences between images to answer your specific questions here.

sophie101

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
* Currently
My Location
belgium
Hi,

I gave up asking questions on their forum because nobody answered. I was wasting my time. It's why I came here ;) In fact my questions ought to be addressed to an Embedded Linux forum because they do not seem Enigma2 specific given the latter is just a programme that provides a front end to a user.

As for the distribution: I didn't know if the problem is openvix, or embedded Linux. if anything this distribution lacks basic security, and would never pass an audit. Busy box is my idea of hell. there is no reason to run busy box on devices with free space available. Busybox vi is lacking, and lsof is gimped beyond belief. there are files strewn across the place with symbolic links upon sym links. Drives me up the wall.

> Burnt out human

Also describes me quite well.

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
As for the distribution: I didn't know if the problem is openvix, or embedded Linux. if anything this distribution lacks basic security, and would never pass an audit. Busy box is my idea of hell. there is no reason to run busy box on devices with free space available. Busybox vi is lacking, and lsof is gimped beyond belief. there are files strewn across the place with symbolic links upon sym links. Drives me up the wall.
I know that OpenVix specifically fiddles with the core oe-alliance project relatively extensively. Plugins that work on other OE based images simply refuse to work there and I've given up trying to troubleshoot it.

As for your question - odhcp6c daemon seems to be an IPv6 gizmo. If you don't use it (and I don't know who does), simply kill it and be happy.

sophie101

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
* Currently
My Location
belgium
odhcpv6 is no longer running ;)