Firms face fines over unwanted emails

N

net1

New powers to fine companies which send junk e-mails and text messages have become law.

In future, firms sending unsolicited text messages or spam e-mails will need the prior agreement of the recipient.

They also prevent companies from tracking which websites an Internet user looks at without telling them in advance.

Any companies breaking the new law could be liable to a fine of up to £5,000 in a magistrates court, or an unlimited fine if a trial is before a jury.

The measures also enable anyone who receives an unsolicited message to sue for damages.

Although the law is introduced today it will not come into force until December 11 to "give businesses time to adapt," the Department for Trade and Industry said today.

Communications minister Stephen Timms said: "Electronic communications are transforming the way we do business and the way we communicate with each other.

"It's crucial that people feel safe and have confidence in utilising electronic communication technologies.

"These regulations will help combat the global nuisance of unsolicited e-mails and texts by enshrining in law rights that give consumers more say over who can use their personal details."

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
About time too, it really is getting ridiculous.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Ive got a stash of email garbages sent over the past two years , and will be pushing for compensation from the ISPs for the time spent in reporting / deleting / updating firewalls/ AV etc .

'Giving companies time to adapt' - what a load of codswallop

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
I found it interesting about this company phones4u or whatever there name is, they have stopped using E-mail in their offices, due to its time wasting nature. From memory they were one of the biggest offenders in the junk E-mail market.