HDTV receivers for DVB ??

garrick

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
JVC 32 lcd freeview tv
TOSIBIA HDD/dvd freeview recoder combi .
FTA 28e & 13e satellete system
My Location
Blackpool, Lancashire, England
I have noticed by glancing through the sping / summer argos publication that several manufacturers appear to be selling FREEVIEW HD receiver .

Has anyone come across these receivers, and if so do they comply with OFCOM's spec's for BRITAIN's future HD system??:confused

I think this should make sure that these machine's do match OFCOM's spec!!Humping

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
The proposed terrestrial HDTV transmissions will use a new tramission methos called DVB-T2. Non-HD transmissions use DVB-T as do terrestrial HD tansmissions in other parts of the world.

The UK will be the first in the world to use DVB-T2, supposedly when the Northwest turns off the analogue signal in November.

So, in answer to your question, if the specifications only mention DVB-T and not DVB-T2 then I would suspect not.

garrick

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
JVC 32 lcd freeview tv
My Location
Thanks Paul, i knew about DVB-T2 but it make's me think that the maker's are tring to pull a fast one over Britain.

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
I think you're right. Yes it's an HD TV - with a separate HD receiver. Yes it's Freeview - but at SD.

Sounds like you're waiting for the ideal comination to come along - which it will eventually. I was looking at some TVs in France this week and they were advertising them with built in Mpeg 4 capablility for HD but, of course, France is using DVB-T for both SD and HD terrestrial transmissions.

garrick

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
JVC 32 lcd freeview tv
My Location
PaulR said:
I think you're right. Yes it's an HD TV - with a separate HD receiver. Yes it's Freeview - but at SD.

Sounds like you're waiting for the ideal comination to come along - which it will eventually. I was looking at some TVs in France this week and they were advertising them with built in Mpeg 4 capablility for HD but, of course, France is using DVB-T for both SD and HD terrestrial transmissions.

Thank's Paul, let's hope OFCOM spot's these advertisement's:-rofl2. It might just make them think about the GREY market for TV goods.;)