Help - New fta setup

whalley77

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Labgear HD Satellite Kit

Laptop Windows vista
My Location
Bedfordshire
I am completely new to this satellite thing, so I need some help.

I have bought a Labgear HDSR300 Kit, on installation I find that I have hundreds of channels I don't want and very few of the ones I do want. I cannot find BBC 3 & 4, yet I have every version of BBC1 that is going. I have no channels 5 or indeed hardly any of the channels I get on my freeview set.

The Signal strength is 83% and quality is 75% what am I doing wrong?

Whalley77

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Well first of all welcome to the Forum and well done getting the Dish aligned to the correct Satellite.

As for Channels, I assume you just scanned a pre-stored list?

If so, you need to find an option called Blind (or Auto) Scan. Possibly Network scan (which doesn't quite to the same thing) and apply that. But I'm not familiar with that Receiver, so it may not have that feature.

If these scanning features aren't available, what you need to do is look at _http://www.flysat.com/28east.php and then add/edit the listed Transponders to the table in your Receiver.

You can delete, move, rename any Channels you do find, so can end up with a tailored list.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
BBC 3 & 4 dont start until 7pm so scan after then ;)

The free channels on satellite and freeview are different - so you wont get Dave, Virgin 1 etc - they are pay channels only on satellite.

whalley77

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Labgear HD Satellite Kit

Laptop Windows vista
My Location
Bedfordshire
Yes, thanks for the reply, but I have done the auto scan thing. I tried it on "all satellites & on the Astra one but I am still missing most of the channels and I am getting ear ache from the better half for wasting more money.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Analoguesat said:
BBC 3 & 4 dont start until 7pm so scan after then ;)

Good point - they are CBeebies and CBBC by day.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
whalley77 said:
Yes, thanks for the reply, but I have done the auto scan thing. I tried it on "all satellites & on the Astra one but I am still missing most of the channels and I am getting ear ache from the better half for wasting more money.

Which channels are you missing that you were hoping for?

whalley77

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Labgear HD Satellite Kit

Laptop Windows vista
My Location
Bedfordshire
BBC 3 & 4 dont start until 7pm so scan after then

The free channels on satellite and freeview are different - so you wont get Dave, Virgin 1 etc - they are pay channels only on satellite.

Ok, so it looks like she is right then a complete waste of time and money. How about if I bought a Freesat recorder would I get all of them then?

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
No - you will only get the pay channels if you buy into Sky

Freesat is just a subset of all the the free channels which have paid to be in the Freesat epg

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
No, you've not wasted your money at all.

But don't scan all Satellites as that will simply confuse the issue as you will get different subsets of the Channels you actually want (For reasons we'll explain once SWMBO is happy!).

Have you skewed the LNB?

ie , When looking from the LNB towards the dish, slacken the LNB collar and gently rotate it a few degrees clockwise. This will help you get optimum reception on both Horizontally and Vertically polarised Channels.

If you've got it at zero skew, then that might explain the absence of some Channels.

Finally, if the LNB is marked Icecrypt or FSUKVN, let us know, as these have a strange skew datum.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
whalley77 said:
BBC 3 & 4 dont start until 7pm so scan after then

Ok, so it looks like she is right then a complete waste of time and money. How about if I bought a Freesat recorder would I get all of them then?

No. They are Pay Channels. All a Freesat box does is give you the Free Satellite Channels in a noddy EPG format.

Stick with the Labgear for a while.

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
Channel 5 shouldn't be a problem, available on 10.773h :)

See if you can scan FTA only, that will not list pay per view. You may have to factory reset the box.

whalley77

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Labgear HD Satellite Kit

Laptop Windows vista
My Location
Bedfordshire
Analoguesat said:
Which channels are you missing that you were hoping for?

To be honest, I don't really know, it's all a bit overwhelming at first and the fact that I have got so many versions of BBC 1 kind of threw me. God alone knows how the better half will cope, it took years to teach her how to use the Humax PVR.

I just wanted to be able to use it in the caravan because I find it is getting more and more difficult to get a normal terestial signal.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Channel 5 shouldn't be a problem, available on 10.773h :)

If he's getting H's ....... !

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
The BBC 1's are easy to deal with - you just delete the ones you dont want - or make a couple of favourites list with just the desired channels in it :)

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Tivù said:
If he's getting H's ....... !

Maybe O/P could take a shot of the LNB up close so we can see.

whalley77 ?

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
whalley77 said:
To be honest, I don't really know, it's all a bit overwhelming at first and the fact that I have got so many versions of BBC 1 kind of threw me. God alone knows how the better half will cope, it took years to teach her how to use the Humax PVR.

I just wanted to be able to use it in the caravan because I find it is getting more and more difficult to get a normal terestial signal.

Yes, but you can delete all the unwanted guff, then put what's left in any order you want. Just end up with a cut down list even SWMBO can cope with!

whalley77

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Labgear HD Satellite Kit

Laptop Windows vista
My Location
Bedfordshire
Tivù said:
No, you've not wasted your money at all.

But don't scan all Satellites as that will simply confuse the issue as you will get different subsets of the Channels you actually want (For reasons we'll explain once SWMBO is happy!).

Have you skewed the LNB?

ie , When looking from the LNB towards the dish, slacken the LNB collar and gently rotate it a few degrees clockwise. This will help you get optimum reception on both Horizontally and Vertically polarised Channels.

If you've got it at zero skew, then that might explain the absence of some Channels.

Finally, if the LNB is marked Icecrypt or FSUKVN, let us know, as these have a strange skew datum.

I have set the skew to -13 or there abouts, that what it said in the instructions, althought i have played with it to get the strongest signal.

Whalley

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
As you can see, there's a lot of friendly help available - give it time and we'll sort you out:)

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
whalley77 said:
I have set the skew to -13 or there abouts, that what it said in the instructions, althought i have played with it to get the strongest signal.

Whalley

As posted in #15, can you take a close up shot of the LNB and post it. You may have one of those where zero is not centred, also mentioned in post #9.

whalley77

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Labgear HD Satellite Kit

Laptop Windows vista
My Location
Bedfordshire
Tivù said:
Yes, but you can delete all the unwanted guff, then put what's left in any order you want. Just end up with a cut down list even SWMBO can cope with!

I have already started on this p[rocess, but I think I will be at it for some time, as I take one step forward and then do something stupid like forgetting to save the changes and then loosing them when I try to alter the order.
I suppose it's just a matter of time and a case of expexting to much.

How do I pay to see the channels I want, such as Virgin & Dave.

Whalley77