Help with satalite setup

Boosh

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky satellite dish
My Location
Essex
Hi all, absolute novice when it comes to satalite TV. I've had regular TV through an aerial all my life. However, we're getting our roof replaced and roofer has said its worth getting rid of the aerial as less wear on the chimney and tiles so we've decided to loose it and start using the satellite dish that was here when we bought the house. I've bought cheap old Bush Freesat HD box. It has one input although I have 2 x coax cables from the satellite dish. Connected one up and won't even find channels. Tried the other one and it finds all the channels and radio stations but when I go to select a channel it just says no signal. I'm wondering if it's the incorrect type of LNB from what I have read online or is it the old Bush Freesat box just not working? Pictures below of the satellite dish and current LNB. Because we have the scaffolding up for the roof I can easily access the dish safely so coudl always change LNB if needed. Any help is greatly appreciated.

WhatsApp Image 2024-06-13 at 06.44.28.jpegWhatsApp Image 2024-06-13 at 06.44.27 (1).jpegWhatsApp Image 2024-06-13 at 06.44.27.jpeg

ozumo

te wo tsuite
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Raven mk2 zone 2 x4, Channel Master: 90cm x3, 1.2m x2, 1.8m PF. CM polar mount x2, Az/El x3.
My Location
South Durham
That is a Sky Q LNB which is not compatible with your Freesat receiver - change it for a mk4 Sky quad universal LNB. Make sure it comes with the bracket (the bit with the spirit level on it) as not all Sky LNBs are the same size.

ozumo

te wo tsuite
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Raven mk2 zone 2 x4, Channel Master: 90cm x3, 1.2m x2, 1.8m PF. CM polar mount x2, Az/El x3.
My Location
South Durham
Thank you - is this the one: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sky-Satellites-Quad-LNB-Dishes/dp/B077DQHL3H?th=1

Is it an easy switch over for a novice like myself?
Yes that will work. If you're lucky and they're the same size you can just remove the LNB from the bracket collar and swap them over, if not you'll need to lever off the bracket from the dish arm - ensure the dish is solidly mounted and perhaps make some reference marks on the dish mounting adjustment points so you can check if it has moved.

Take note of the skew (rotation) of the Sky Q LNB before removing it, when looking at the front of the dish the cables should be pointing between 6 and 7 o'clock.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Disconnect the receiver from the mains before swopping outdoor bits over.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
On your roofer's statement, yes, overly large aerial rigs, or badly installed aerial rigs can damage chimneys, but generally they don't. The aerial has the advantage of only requiring one cable into the loft and will work with pretty much every TV, the satellite dish requires more cables and unless you have a Freesat capable TV, you'll need a Freesat box for each TV. I won't comment on the dish side, as it has already been answered.

Boosh

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky satellite dish
My Location
Essex
Hi all, just to say thanks for your help with this. Very simple install and all working thank to you! We only have one TV and probably watch once a week at most so the one satellite feed works for us. Glad it's up and working in time for the Euros :). Thanks again!