Impossible to connect new Freesat 4k box to the internet

bringbackTopfield

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1 LNB, 1 cabel, dish on the roof, new Freesat 4k box
My Location
France
Hi there,
Unfortunately our 8 year old Humax recently stopped recording anything, a factory reset didn't help. So we got a new Freesat 4k box.

Oh boy, what a comedown! We used to have a Topfield, which was a pure delight, so the Humax already was a step backwards. But the Freesat box is proving to be such a pain, its remote is rubbish, the way it functions is such a nightmare that I'm really hoping to get more joy by using the Freesat app.

Unfortunately so far it's proven impossible to connect the box to the internet. Our home wifi doesn't appear on the list when the box searches for wireless networks and when I put it in manually, it won't connect.

It does however see our Sony Bravia TV (bought in 2013) as a wireless network but also refuses to connect to it.

Any advice would be most welcome! I've been in touch with Freesat tech advice but they recommended doing a factory reset. This is my last resort but I'm dubious it would help... I would hate to lose my recording so I'm hoping somebody has a less radical solution.

Regards,
Ian.

ozumo

te wo tsuite
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Raven mk2 zone 2 x4, Channel Master: 90cm x3, 1.2m x2, 1.8m PF. CM polar mount x2, Az/El x3.
My Location
South Durham
The wifi from the television will be for screen mirroring from a mobile or computer. Many people have success with powerline adapters that use your home's electric wiring to extend the network - one plug by your router and another at the receiver. A wifi extender or repeater may also work.

bringbackTopfield

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
France
The wifi from the television will be for screen mirroring from a mobile or computer. Many people have success with powerline adapters that use your home's electric wiring to extend the network - one plug by your router and another at the receiver. A wifi extender or repeater may also work.
Thanks, ozumo!
So you think it's because the home wifi isn't strong enough? Any other devices (mobile, tablet, laptop) don't have a problem picking up the wifi from where they are in the same room as the Freesat box.

ozumo

te wo tsuite
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Raven mk2 zone 2 x4, Channel Master: 90cm x3, 1.2m x2, 1.8m PF. CM polar mount x2, Az/El x3.
My Location
South Durham
Some devices just have poor wifi reception - Sky Glass is a prime example. It appears the wifi is working on the Freesat box as it is seeing the television's signal. To confirm it you could try enabling wifi hotspot on your mobile to see if the Freesat box will connect.

bringbackTopfield

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
France
Hi ozumo, I followed your advice and used my mobile as a wifi hotspot. The Freesat box saw it and connected to it, very straightforward.

Does this support your suspicion that the Freesat box can't see the router because isn't strong enough or too far away? So a powerline adapter should solve the problem?

Thank you!

ozumo

te wo tsuite
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
South Durham
Yes it confirms the Freesat box requires a stronger wifi signal than your current setup provides. Powerline adapters should work, though perhaps buy from Amazon so it's easy to return if it doesn't work out.

bringbackTopfield

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
France
Excellent advice, thank you! I'll let you know how I get on.

sonnetpete

Grumpy Old Retired Moderator and quiz inquisitor..
Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup
Laminas 1.2M fibre dish with an IBU, on a Clarke Tech USALS motor, covering 57E - 24.5W to an Octagon SX88. Displayed on a 20" Dyon LED TV.

Seperate 80 cm dish on 28E with a Humax Freesat for SWMBO.
Free Sat V8 meter. Sony Bravia 46" LCD, Sony BluRay and Home Cinema.
My Location
Normandy, France
I use powerline adapters to connect my Octagon SX88 to the internet, despite it being in the same room as the modem. They work really well...

bringbackTopfield

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
France
Powerline adapter should arrive on Tuesday. The modern is downstairs, box upstairs, concrete floor... I assumed because any gadgets or the TV connect to the wi-fi no problem, the Freesat box should do it just as easily.

sonnetpete

Grumpy Old Retired Moderator and quiz inquisitor..
Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup
Laminas 1.2M fibre dish with an IBU, on a Clarke Tech USALS motor, covering 57E - 24.5W to an Octagon SX88. Displayed on a 20" Dyon LED TV.

Seperate 80 cm dish on 28E with a Humax Freesat for SWMBO.
Free Sat V8 meter. Sony Bravia 46" LCD, Sony BluRay and Home Cinema.
My Location
Normandy, France
I assumed because any gadgets or the TV connect to the wi-fi no problem, the Freesat box should do it just as easily.

We have a Humax Freesat box that connects to the wifi without a problem, even though it's not in the same room (go figure). There are two laptops, a mobile and two set top boxes connected to the wifi network. It is a 4G modem, which supposedly has a capacity of 64 devices that can connect to it, though obviously I've never achieved such figures.

bringbackTopfield

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
France
Thank you for your advice, it worked!!!
I'm not doubting either your expertise or your experience but when I got the powerline adapters, the manual stated that it works if both parts are on the same power circuit. Our house is very old with really complex and confusing wiring so I was expecting the room where the wifi router is and the one with the Freesat box to be on different circuits.
Whether or not that's the case, the powerline adapters are working and the Freesat box is connected to the internet. I can use the app and I'm a lot happier with that. Thanks again!
Now all I need is a much better remote because I think the Freesat one is really rubbish. We used to have a Logitech universal remote which was brilliant but I gather they don't make them any more. Has anybody found another workaround?

ozumo

te wo tsuite
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
South Durham
If the remote is infrared there are many universal remotes available, just make sure it is a 'learning' type so all functions can be mapped. If it's just a range or responsiveness issue sometimes a new set of batteries works wonders.