Mounting of Television Aerials

dh252

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
cable & dell laptop
My Location
West Midlands
I recently paid for a television aerial to be mounting on the side of my house by a profesional installer. I did the stupid thing of letting him fix it while at work so it was complete when I returned. However my next door neighbour is now saying its sited in the wrong place and wants it moved to the rear of the house or on the chimney.

Its been located on the side of the house near to the front (2-3 m), and does overhang his property / drive (we are link detached). I have no issues moving it if its incorrectly sited, but I would like to know were I stand before contacting the installer.

Any body have any ideas?

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
I've moved your post to an area better suited for a reply.

I'll leave it to the professionals for a complete reply but can I ask what your neighbour means by "the wrong place"? Is he afraid of it falling off onto him or his property?

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
Well the problem is there was no one present at time of install, where yourself and your neighbour could of negotiated an aerial mounting position to suit both. Other factors need considering, ie signal reception etc. Always a tricky one.

I would never install an aerial or satellite dish without the customer present, it's plain madness.

Can you upload a photo?

Hope you get it sorted.

D

deleted

i have come across this many times whilst installing but you must know the law too, and you cannot overhang your neighbours property full stop and if he wanted, he could have you in court and made to take it down.

MOST INSTALLERS SHOULD KNOW THIS RULE !

A nonymous

Reaction score
The problem is that there are now a lot of bodgers jumping on the Digital TV bandwagon :(

Some of the installs i have seen round where i live are shocking to say the least. Most of these guys couldn't give a monkey about rules and regs as long as they get their money.

Most people who have been in the game for a while will abide by the rules and just use common sense.

I myself, like satman will not do an install unless the customer is present at the time :D

:-beer

Nano

workshoppete

Here Now And Again
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1 metre motorised dish ,Technomate V-box, Spiderbox 7000HD box, Windows0n desktop and laptop,. and couldnt live without Promax Prodig 5 TV Explorer.. Oh , and now ipad - so much easier and convenient
My Location
North Midlands
Absolutely agree with Satelliteman and nanochickin. Never install without the customer present. You leave yourself wide open to all sorts of accusations (stealing / damaging property, loosing the dog/cat out ....etc, etc. )....and always explain to them exactly what you are going to do and the approximate cost.

Pete :) :) :)

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
workshoppete said:
Absolutely agree with Satelliteman and nanochickin. Never install without the customer present. You leave yourself wide open to all sorts of accusations (stealing / damaging property, loosing the dog/cat out ....etc, etc. )....and always explain to them exactly what you are going to do and the approximate cost.

You sound like you have 'form', Pete ;)

workshoppete

Here Now And Again
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1 metre motorised dish ,Technomate V-box, Spiderbox 7000HD box, Windows0n desktop and laptop,. and couldnt live without Promax Prodig 5 TV Explorer.. Oh , and now ipad - so much easier and convenient
My Location
North Midlands
LOL CH ... "form"

Well they havent pinned anything on me yet thank goodness.

Was once at a house and the customer started offerring me solid silver knives, forks spoons etc from his family hairloom because i had carried out a couple of hours work for him. I was very tempted by this offer, but good sense prevailed. As it turned out cuttlery was'nt his to give away in the first place and he was just a visiting member of the family. He was later interned in a mental institution. So be warned!!

All the best

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
workshoppete said:
LOL CH ... "form"

Was once at a house and the customer started offerring me solid silver knives, forks spoons etc from his family hairloom because i had carried out a couple of hours work for him. I was very tempted by this offer, but good sense prevailed. As it turned out cuttlery was'nt his to give away in the first place and he was just a visiting member of the family. He was later interned in a mental institution. So be warned!!

[snigger] Pete the knife [/snigger]