No aerial point in my flat

barreoty

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky HD box, KDL LX903 tv, Mk4 Raven Minidish, Self installed, Pc is self built comprises of Intel Core i7-980K, 2 x 480 GTX, 240GB OCZ Vertex2, Silverstone TJ07 case, Asus Rampage Extreme III mobo (pre-ordered), 1000W Akasa PowerPlus, Dominator GT 6G
My Location
London South East
Hey

**Sorry if this is the wrong forum**

Basically there is no aerial point in the bedroom in the block of flats I live in.

My options are to buy a decent indoor amplified digital aerial or run a quality cable from the lounge into the bedroom (diy)

Anyone know of any proper good aerials I can buy and or what good quality cable I can use (fibre optic, coax etc...)

Wayne

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Please confirm you are talking about Terrestrial TV and then I'll Edit your Thread Title to something more meaningful and shift it to a more relevant Forum.

I'm 99.5% sure you are, but your Profile contains Satellite stuff and occasionally folk say Aerial when they mean Dish!

Edit: I am prescient!

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
Ah, I've already changed the title.

You should get some answers now.

barreoty

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky HD box, KDL LX903 tv, Mk4 Raven Minidish, Self installed, Pc is self built comprises of Intel Core i7-980K, 2 x 480 GTX, 240GB OCZ Vertex2, Silverstone TJ07 case, Asus Rampage Extreme III mobo (pre-ordered), 1000W Akasa PowerPlus, Dominator GT 6G
My Location
London South East
Hey yes it is for terrestrial television. I do also have a dish setup which I am doing buy this is for the lounge only :)

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
As it's terrestrial only I've moved your thread.

Do you have an aerial point in the main room of your flat? You could possibly split the signal off, using an amplified splitter if necessary. This would avoid a lot of faffing around with indoor aerials leaving only the faffing around hiding the cable.

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
Also, what does the TV/Sat outlet plate look like.

barreoty

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
London South East
Hey Paul

Yes there is an aerial point in the lounge that is not used.

The bedrooms have no aerial points only the lounge has a point.

I wanted to either run a high quality cable from that point in the lounge into the bedrooms or just buy a couple of amplified indoor aerials.

Satelliteman

Picture a wall socket with three points that are aligned in a triangle formation. The one satellite point sits at the top with the tv terrestial point and radio dab point underneath and to either side of the satellite point.

Phew lol

Kind regards

Wayne

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
That's what's called a triplexer. This means that somewhere up near the roof there's a load of electrical gubbins that combine satellite ($ly), terrestrial TV and FM/DAB radio signals into one cable. The triplexer splits them back into three different sockets for convenience.

This doesn't affect what I was talking about though. To me, the best idea is to run a cable from one room to another. The signal from the wall socket should be good quality and may even be strong enough to be split into two without an amplifier.

barreoty

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
London South East
Agreed I think that would be the best option to. Will normal coax cabling be sufficient or can you suggest a better quality cable?

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
It's generally recommended to use satellite specificatoin cable for terrestrial TV nowadays in order to provide better quality shielding against interference to digital signals. TV aerial grade cable just has a braided sheath, satellite cable is double shielded with braid and foil. The best quality is copper foil and braid; less good is aluminium foil with copper braid.

barreoty

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
London South East
Ok so best quality please? Are you talking about WF100 cabling? Or something like that :)

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location