64cm Traix Dish with 4 multi LNB'S
Sky HD,
Dreambox 800,
Dreambox 500,
IPBOX 250,
Sky HD and a mad wife !
My Location
Manchester UK
Guys trying to use norsat lnb with feedhorn but getting nothing at all.

Looks like you can't just bolt the lnb to the feed, something is needed in between.

I've posted some pictures below.

The bottom pic, is some guy in the USA.
See how his norsat has a round steel flange at the end, what is this ?

Anyone any ideas ?

Attachments

• Norsat 1.jpg
    Norsat 1.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 207
  • Norsat 2.jpg
    Norsat 2.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 175
  • Missing.jpg
    Missing.jpg
    2.6 KB · Views: 498

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon, Dreambox 8000, Echostar AD3000ip, TBS6522,6925,6983 PCie cards.
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
The Flatlands of East Anglia
Possibly a quarter-wave transformer? Maybe he's matching a circular waveguide to a rectangular one.

Llew

canofan

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Amiko Alien2 Dual Tuner; CM120w/Inverto quattro on7°W; Triax 2X110, LNBFs:3BEST 1 quattro 13E 1 quattro 19.2E 1 single 28.2E multiswitches for the quattros and a satrix disecq 1.0.
My Location
Brussels Belgium
keano,
what is the Norsat reference? If they are 4000B they lose badly below 12.2 GHz.
That metal flange of the american guy is called a transition, it came also with my 611-6060-10. Two O-rings help prevent moisture.
The first thumbnail refers to an Rx Tx assembly it has a filter part. You only need the top and bottom part of the assembly so the other LNB will be closer to the first. Then both LNB's would fit under the cover. In other words unscrew the filter, remove it and then reassemble.
Please find the instructions for the 611-6060-10 attached

Attachments

• intro int.pdf
    479.8 KB · Views: 240
  • horiz-pol int.pdf
    354.6 KB · Views: 194
  • vert-pol int.pdf
    429 KB · Views: 182

keano

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2.4mtr Channel Master Dish,
Fracarro Penta 85cm Dish,
Sky HD,
Dreambox 800,
Dreambox 500,
IPBOX 250,
Sky HD and a mad wife !
My Location
Manchester UK
Cheers m8,

The norsat is 4708B ku band.

I know about the 12.2ghz, so was trying above this but nothing at all was coming through.

I'll do some reading;)

OK so it looks like I am missing the transition.

The first thumbnail pic of mine this also gave me nothing, top lnb or bottom lnb so removing filter won't do anything yet.
Need to know why top lnb can't receive anything.

Have you got anything from yours yet ?

canofan

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Amiko Alien2 Dual Tuner; CM120w/Inverto quattro on7°W; Triax 2X110, LNBFs:3BEST 1 quattro 13E 1 quattro 19.2E 1 single 28.2E multiswitches for the quattros and a satrix disecq 1.0.
My Location
Brussels Belgium
I attached two further documents.
by removing the middle part you transform the vsat arrangement into a dual flanged waveguide.
The top LNB is the Horizontal.
you do not need the transition if you are using the dual flange

Attachments

• vsat assembly-1.pdf
    280.7 KB · Views: 169
  • dual flanged.pdf
    145.8 KB · Views: 135

keano

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky HD,
Dreambox 800,
Dreambox 500,
IPBOX 250,
Sky HD and a mad wife !
My Location
Manchester UK
Ok m8 thanks for that.

I wonder if its because receiver was not setup correctly.

7.0w great at the mo, after a little scare last week the last two days its been coming in nice and strong, just hope it will last.

canofan

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Brussels Belgium
keano said:
Ok m8 thanks for that.

I thought about the receiver as well.
The difference between a universal lnb and a standard LNB is the local oscillator frequency for the band. The intermediate frequency range resulting becomes different. The new one will be 950 to 1450 MHZ. Which incidentally will diminish losses in the cable because the intermediate frequency is reduced.

For an LNBF High band the L.O. is at 10600MHZ.
Your Norsat B series are at 11300MHZ.
You should therefore rescan. With the new L.O. frequency introduced in the LNB page on your dreambox. The Transponders will then be recognised, as the old scan will not recognise the new intermediate frequency allocation for the transponders.

canofan

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Brussels Belgium
Hi Keano,

I am determined to find a solution for using standard LNBs on channelmaster.
I am waiting to get a dual flange before deploying the effort, as I would not want to do it again when it arrives. So I have not advanced, yet, on the experiment. I am trying to order a dual flange, but this does not seem readily available. Perhaps a 611-6062-xx feedhorn assembly or 611-6783-xx (easier to find second hand) could do the job. The latter contains the aluminium die cast junction block+filter like the one you have. I would remove the filter because it is not needed in a receive only system. I then would add the feedhorn required for the Nilesat situation 611-6060-10. The vertical polarities will be handled by the straight through flange and the horizontal through the other.
Originally the receive is handled through the filter on a horizontal transponder VSWR 1.5/1, while the transmit is handled through the straight through vertical channel VSWR 1.3/1.
When the filter is removed both channels will enjoy a VSWR OF 1.3/1.
Once this is done properly, a disecq switch could be used to add those LNBs and send them to your uncommitted EMP SWITCH.
I would not worry about the diseqc technicalities here, but its elements could be used. The Norsat will be fed through the switches by any of the voltages sent up to them, but they do not respond to the switching between 14 and 18 volts but this switching indicates to the committed switch how to choose the proper LNB.
In your dreambox, in the LNB configurator, assign only one LNB number for both LNB's
22khz: choose HI
voltage; choose V/H
LNB mapping: confirm your LNB number
LOF/L: keep as is.
LOF/H: 10750 for 4000A 11300 for 4000B depends on LNB used.
next page
toneburst: none
Disecq mode on 1.1
Diseqc parameters: NONE
Diseqc repeats: 2
Uncommitted port: assign the port you chose on your EMP.
sequence repeats ON
Swap commands ON
Save Save
reboot dreambox in order to allow communicating the information to the switches.
With this arrangement, if you scan for channels you will get results.

keano

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky HD,
Dreambox 800,
Dreambox 500,
IPBOX 250,
Sky HD and a mad wife !
My Location
Manchester UK
Cheers for info.

Not done anything yet with the norsats since my last try, think it might be next weekend before I get to try.

To busy with other things at the mo.

Thanks

R

Rd100

to set up the norsat lnb the lnb should be bolted direct to the fedhorn then skew the lnb correct you also need to alter the L.O in the receiver menu and that is it job done

R

Rd100

For maximum signal from the norsat lnb it should be bolted direct to the feedhorn then skew it by hand for horizontal or vertical that is it there is no point in trying to add more lnbs to the feed as you will get to much signal loss and you then might as well use a invacom.

canofan said:
Hi Keano,

I am determined to find a solution for using standard LNBs on channelmaster.
I am waiting to get a dual flange before deploying the effort, as I would not want to do it again when it arrives. So I have not advanced, yet, on the experiment. I am trying to order a dual flange, but this does not seem readily available. Perhaps a 611-6062-xx feedhorn assembly or 611-6783-xx (easier to find second hand) could do the job. The latter contains the aluminium die cast junction block+filter like the one you have. I would remove the filter because it is not needed in a receive only system. I then would add the feedhorn required for the Nilesat situation 611-6060-10. The vertical polarities will be handled by the straight through flange and the horizontal through the other.
Originally the receive is handled through the filter on a horizontal transponder VSWR 1.5/1, while the transmit is handled through the straight through vertical channel VSWR 1.3/1.
When the filter is removed both channels will enjoy a VSWR OF 1.3/1.
Once this is done properly, a disecq switch could be used to add those LNBs and send them to your uncommitted EMP SWITCH.
I would not worry about the diseqc technicalities here, but its elements could be used. The Norsat will be fed through the switches by any of the voltages sent up to them, but they do not respond to the switching between 14 and 18 volts but this switching indicates to the committed switch how to choose the proper LNB.
In your dreambox, in the LNB configurator, assign only one LNB number for both LNB's
22khz: choose HI
voltage; choose V/H
LNB mapping: confirm your LNB number
LOF/L: keep as is.
LOF/H: 10750 for 4000A 11300 for 4000B depends on LNB used.
next page
toneburst: none
Disecq mode on 1.1
Diseqc parameters: NONE
Diseqc repeats: 2
Uncommitted port: assign the port you chose on your EMP.
sequence repeats ON
Swap commands ON
Save Save
reboot dreambox in order to allow communicating the information to the switches.
With this arrangement, if you scan for channels you will get results.

canofan

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Brussels Belgium
Rd100 said:
to set up the norsat lnb the lnb should be bolted direct to the fedhorn then skew the lnb correct you also need to alter the L.O in the receiver menu and that is it job done

Thank you
This works well if you want only one polarity, as one cannot go out and adjust the skew every time one wants the other polarity.
What I am suggesting is the comfort of letting the receiver choose the Norsat with the correct skew, as in this method there is practically no loss.

R

Rd100

So do you find the norsat 4708B better also how come you brought the 0.8db version and not the 0.6db 4706B?

Also why did you by the B version that only covers 12.25 to 12.75 myself i would have brought the band A version as it covers the 11.70 to 12.20 as most of the showtime transponders are in that frequency range,

Myself i would have brought the 4106A,

keano said:
Ok m8 thanks for that.

7.0w great at the mo, after a little scare last week the last two days its been coming in nice and strong, just hope it will last.

canofan

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Brussels Belgium
Rd100 said:
For maximum signal from the norsat lnb it should be bolted direct to the feedhorn then skew it by hand for horizontal or vertical that is it there is no point in trying to add more lnbs to the feed as you will get to much signal loss and you then might as well use a invacom.

Do you mean the loss of the signal getting divided between the two LNBs?

R

Rd100

That dual flange is designed for 1x lnb and 1x BUC only it will not work very well at all for adding a additional lnb

canofan said:
I attached two further documents.
by removing the middle part you transform the vsat arrangement into a dual flanged waveguide.
The top LNB is the Horizontal.
you do not need the transition if you are using the dual flange

canofan

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Brussels Belgium
Rd100 said:
So do you find the norsat 4708B better also how come you brought the 0.8db version and not the 0.6db 4706B?

Also why did you by the B version that only covers 12.25 to 12.75 myself i would have brought the band A version as it covers the 11.70 to 12.20 as most of the showtime transponders are in that frequency range,

Myself i would have brought the 4106A,

I think Keano found a batch of 4708 cheaply and got them to experiment

canofan

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Brussels Belgium
Rd100 said:
That dual flange is designed for 1x lnb and 1x BUC only it will not work very well at all for adding a additional lnb

But the 611-6062-xx is designed for an additional LNB.
Perhaps I should give up on transforming the other alternative

R

Rd100

To make it simple in keanos first post in the photo is for 1x lnb and 1x buc not 2x lnb the other .pdfs so vsat 1xlnb and 1xbuc assembly and also right hand circular, So it is not good trying to use vsat rx tx omts for 2x RX only lnbs

The correct Andrew feed part number for 2x linear lnbs is 611-6062-07 which can be seen in the bottom right hand photo in the .pdf i have attached

canofan said:
But the 611-6062-xx is designed for an additional LNB.
Perhaps I should give up on transforming the other alternative

R

Rd100

The round steel flange you are referring to is called a transition,

keano said:
Guys trying to use norsat lnb with feedhorn but getting nothing at all.

Looks like you can't just bolt the lnb to the feed, something is needed in between.

I've posted some pictures below.

The bottom pic, is some guy in the USA.
See how his norsat has a round steel flange at the end, what is this ?

Anyone any ideas ?

canofan

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Brussels Belgium
Rd100 said:
To make it simple in keanos first post in the photo is for 1x lnb and 1x buc not 2x lnb the other .pdfs so vsat 1xlnb and 1xbuc assembly and also right hand circular, So it is not good trying to use vsat rx tx omts for 2x RX only lnbs

The correct Andrew feed part number for 2x linear lnbs is 611-6062-07 which can be seen in the bottom right hand photo in the .pdf i have attached

Ok RD100 your point is made clear about the RX/TX OMT versus the RX only. So no more LNB/BUC dual flanges.
The 611-6062-07 and 611-6062-10 seem to use the same OMT.
The 07 is wide band and the 10 is (11.7 to 12.2 ghz).
Only the actual feedhorn is varied.
For Showtime on Nilesat the use of two 4000A LNB's with the 611-6062-10 will solve the problem.
Could you confirm?