Philips confirms IDTVs likely to be Top Up TV compatible

N

net1

Philips has said that it's "reasonable" to suppose that Top Up TV - the new 'pay-lite' service launching alongside Freeview - will become available to the half million or so IDTVs already installed in the UK. That's because - by law - IDTVs are required to have a so-called 'common interface' (CI) slot that makes them pay-TV upgradeable.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
I will have to take the back off the Bush IDTV we have in the office, I could see a card slot and a CI slot.

The upgrades from Bush stopped many years ago, and so the CI slot (just like many ITV/On digital boxes) - and in a different arena, BSKYB boxes, - may not have the appropriate firmware designers about, nor the methods to send these upgrades to the thousands of STBs in the UK

I wonder what Top Up TV have got in the kitty to sweet-talk all the manufacturers to ramp up firmware design again ?

turny

Reaction score
Website
msn.co.uk
My Location
tyne and wear
channelhopper,
my bush 6690d is basically a uncased nokia on digital box stuffed in a funny angle to miss the tube and plugged into one of the scart sockets reversed held in with glue from a glue gun
technology at is best
nevertheless if a nokia box is compatible so should the bush

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
So the inside of the 6690 is a hybrid then turny, have you tried to fit a CAM into it and see what comes up on screen ?

I doubt theres any chance of an upgrade in the near future to make it compatible - last upgrade was a few months before ITV D went to the dogs.

jimbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky HD, TM6800HD, Manhattan Plaza ST550 and TM1500 CI+. 1.0m dish and 36v motor, Panasonic DVD HDD recorder and Panasonic video/DVD recorder. Sony G800 HD TV stand/surround system + Sony KDL40W2000. Infinity USB, Elvis, CAS1, CAS2.
My Location
Greater London
Channel Hopper said:
I wonder what Top Up TV have got in the kitty to sweet-talk all the manufacturers to ramp up firmware design again ?
They promise not to go bust for at least 6 months. :rolleyes:

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Very reassuring, where do I sign up ?