Plugin stream2db

PCD

DB Magician
Reaction score
If you have difficulty streaming videos and dvds to the db, you are welcome to try the attached plugin. I have developed it with the 5620, but should work with the others. Tested with Gemini 2.6 and Pli emerald.

Regards, pcd.

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
Sounds interesting. Will give it a try.

I've always said you were a nice bloke!

:)

PCD

DB Magician
Reaction score
BGonaSTICK said:
Sounds interesting. Will give it a try.

I've always said you were a nice bloke!

:)

Good ! Let us know how you get on. :)

PCD

DB Magician
Reaction score
Hi,

This is to clarify some points raised elsewhere.

As the plugin is based on the original movieplayer plugin, I have kept the filenames as movieplayer.so etc. However, this plugin works quite differently from movieplayer. For this plugin the streaming is started at the pc by starting Videolan VLC and then the plugin is started at the db and after a while the picture should appear on tv. It is as simple as that.

You will see that the .xml file is different from the movieplayer and vlc plugins. This is because any streaming command line can be tested, not restricted by the fixed command lines (of course with some changable parameters) of the other plugins. Therefore operating this plugin is simpler but also flexible to use all Videolan VLC facilities.

Finally, as cifs is sufficient for streaming video files, this plugin is really intended for dvds.

Regards, pcd.

PCD

DB Magician
Reaction score
Has anybody got this working yet ?

Hi mhku,

I remember you had some problem with streaming dvds. Have you tried this plugin ?

Regards, pcd.

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1 GigaBlue Quad plus, 1 Dreambox 5620, MOTECK SG2100A DISEqC Motor, 120 cm noname offset dish, Humax 95 cm offset dish and a few UK digiboxes.
My Location
Somewhere where the Sauer is Kraut and the Wurst is Brat
Hi PCD

I tried to get it going, but I am having some problems with the instructions, especially as my VLC is in german. I think if you could add a few screenshots of the settings that would be great.

TG

PCD

DB Magician
Reaction score
Sorry T_G, I did not see your post earlier. I will try to if I have time. In the meantime I am using VLC media player 0.8.1 (wxWindows interface), if that helps. To start with just copy and stick the command lines I have given, to the settings window.

Regards, pcd.

PCD

DB Magician
Reaction score
T_G said:
Hi PCD

I tried to get it going, but I am having some problems with the instructions, especially as my VLC is in german. I think if you could add a few screenshots of the settings that would be great.

TG

Hi T_G

The attached new Readme has some screenshots. Let us know how you get on or if you have any problems. Also please post any new command line that works for you. Regards, pcd.

PCD

DB Magician
Reaction score
I have now modified the plugin to stream video playlists continuously, and also improved the buffering for the smaller boxes to reduce/stop breaks in transmission. Anybody interested in testing ?

Regards, pcd.

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
I'll try it and let you know how it works for me.

Can't find this:

"At pc, start VLC, select Settings>Preferences>input-serverport 8080 and interface-extrainterface http. Save/close."

Screenshot of where it is? using VLC 0.8.5 freeHD

Does vlc plugin need to be installed on the dreambox?

"plugin loading failed.

libcurl.so.2: cannot open shared file object:
no such file or directory"

PCD

DB Magician
Reaction score
Ftp the attached libcurl.so.2 to /var/lib and reboot. You need to install the plugin stream2db, no need to install plugin vlc also.

The Readme is based on vlc 0.8.1. I will check what are the preferences in vlc 0.8.5. Anyway this step is not necessary for this plugin, I included it to make it consistent with other uses of vlc :-

"At pc, start VLC, select Settings>Preferences>input-serverport 8080 and interface-extrainterface http. Save/close."

Regards, pcd.

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
attachment? ;)

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
Set up the dreambox as instructions e.g. my latop IP address in xml file.

Played a DVD on my laptop streamed from vlc to 9090 /dboxstream and selected StreamDB from plugins.

Dreambox doesn't show dvd but does restart the emu, changes tv channel and wants me to choose my osd language.

It may be that the db can't speak to my laptop but that's how I ftp keys to it. There's no advantage in playing the dvd from my pc as that's upstairs and the ability to stop/ start dvd from the same room as the tv is important.

So it seems not to work...

PCD

DB Magician
Reaction score
Checked with vlc 0.8.5, it works. This is what you need to do to start with :-

Settings > Preferences > Reset all > Interface - tick Advanced options > Main interfaces > Extra interface module - select/tick HTTP remote control > HTTP - host address type 8080 > Save > Restart.

The rest are the same as for the earlier versions.

PCD

DB Magician
Reaction score
Hi mhku

To get syslog, replace syslogd.sh in /var/script with the attached .

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
HTTP - host address type 8080

What exactly do you mean? Do you mean type 8080 in the box or IPaddress:8080?

PCD

DB Magician
Reaction score
mhku said:
What exactly do you mean? Do you mean type 8080 in the box or IPaddress:8080?

Just the port number :8080. Vlc will then listen to this port for any incoming message. Plugins like vlc, movieplayer and stream2db first identify a 'socket' and use it to send a message using this port to pc-vlc using http protocol. When pc-vlc 'hears' this message, it sends a reply and the connection is made. After this any streaming is done thru another port 9090.

Regards, pcd.

PCD

DB Magician
Reaction score
Version 1.02 :

Modified for better buffering. Also, if there is a break in the stream, play restarts automatically.

Now VLC playlists with multiple files can be played continuously.

First make your playlist with VLC media player. Start > View > Playlist >Manage > Add files > Save Playlist.

Start VLC streaming from pc as before. Select the playlist as a file. This command line works:-

:sout=#transcode{vcodec=mp2v,vb=1024,width=352,height=288,acodec=mpga,ab=192,channels=2}:duplicate{dst=std{access=http,mux=ts,ttl=6,url=:9090/dboxstream}} --sout-keep

Start plugin on dreambox, sit back and enjoy ! :)

Regards, pcd.

PCD

DB Magician
Reaction score
With a small modification stream2db now works (reportedly) on the dm500. I have posted the dm500 version on the official dreamboard at the Streaming section of h**p://www.dream-multimedia-tv.de/board/

Regards, pcd.