bog standard
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80 cm dish hh motor teco tm1000 dreambox 7020
cas 3interface
dragon cam.promax tv explorer 2.
My Location
norwich
has any one herd of some problems with the trials of high def freeview in regaurd to the amount of band width they will use. parogon are in the proccess of developing v and h polirization aerial.as this may be the only way to get hd on freeview.if this is true all these nice digital aerials we have been fitting will be redundant.or will we be fitting hd aerials along side the digital ones.

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
We already use the distinction between horizontal and vertical polarisation on terrestrial signals. The main transmitters are horizontally polarised and repeater stations are vertical. This ensures that we (hopefully!) get the maximum usage of our linited radio frequencies.

I don't understand what Paragon are doing. Do you have any information?

I don't know for sure but I'm fairly certain that HD will be in MPEG4 which is more efficient in compressing a signal than MPEG2, as used for SD digital. As a result HD occupies almost the same bandwidth as SD.

moosegoose

bog standard
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
cas 3interface
My Location
norwich
acording to the source of my infomationb there a problem fitting it into the 8 mhz slot. there for are considering v and h pol from the same transmitters to over come the problem.as you say there should be no problems. but real world tests have proved otherwise.

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Ah, now I understand. What they mean is transmitting both vertical and horizontal components so that it doen't matter whether your aerial is H or V.

Most (all?) FM radio stations have done this for some years now to cater for home aerials which are traditionally horizontal and cars which are vertical.

moosegoose

bog standard
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
cas 3interface
My Location
norwich
i presume digital freeview on horizontal and digital high definition on vertical.which means additional aerials or a aerial with both which is in development.

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon, Dreambox 8000, Echostar AD3000ip, TBS6522,6925,6983 PCie cards.
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
The Flatlands of East Anglia
moosegoose said:
or a aerial with both which is in development.

Interesting. Any info on this moosegoose?

Maybe some control of polarity will be needed in the STB as the aerial presumably will need to be switched between H & V?

Llew

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Well that would be a popular move. . . . . I can just hear the phone calls now.:-doh!:eek:

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
I still think some information is missing here. I've been to the Paragon website but as I'm not a registered member can't get any information. Looking at their products on the SCC site I don't see anything special there (apart from the rather delicious 1.2m parabolic!).

Adding Horizontal to Vertical doesn't give an extra amount of information sent. It will surely only increase the likelihood of good reception.

Can you be a bit more specific Mongoose.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Who knows, they might plum for circular polarisation :-googly

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham
Channel Hopper said:
Who knows, they might plum for circular polarisation :-googly

How in the monkies would that work?? :-rofl2

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Circular polarisation can be imagined as a dipole aerial transmitter that rotates once for every cycle of frequency. Therefore there's at least sometime during the rotation when the receiving horizontal or vertical aerial will be in line.

I think the loss in strength is 3dB but the gain is that, as long as the aerial is pointed in the right direction, then there will be a constant signal.

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
OK if the receiver is just for HD, but presumably it'll be a combined HD/SD box, in which case it'll need to be able to switch polarities.

If an aerial is definitely being designed for combined H/V transmissions, then presumably the STB manufacturers are working on this.

All conjecture though until anything more is known.

Llew

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
I'm not sure why there would be a need for switchable polarities, I can't see the advantages.

Digital signals, can sit on adjacent channels of the same polarity.

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
But surely the receiver will then only see half the channels in the mux?

The LH and RH polarities received by the circular aerial have, as with H and V, got to be somehow recognised by the STB.

Llew

j..m

ZZ Mop
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky Digibox Pace 2200, 3 remotes, 2 mice, 2 splitters, a amp adder thingi, a Thomson universal LNB & a zone 2 dish..... With foamy whatsit coax
My Location
NW UK
I have been trying to adapt my chimney to accept a horisontal polarisation antenna ..... However the bricks keep falling off & bouncing down to floor level ...... Maybe I should construct a horisontal chimney on the ground & kinda carry it up & mount it ? .... Woddo ya think ? :-tree

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
j..m said:
I have been trying to adapt my chimney to accept a horisontal polarisation antenna ..... However the bricks keep falling off & bouncing down to floor level ...... Maybe I should construct a horisontal chimney on the ground & kinda carry it up & mount it ? .... Woddo ya think ? :-tree

Have you tried just turning the aerial on it's side? :D

j..m

ZZ Mop
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky Digibox Pace 2200, 3 remotes, 2 mice, 2 splitters, a amp adder thingi, a Thomson universal LNB & a zone 2 dish..... With foamy whatsit coax
My Location
NW UK
Now ya just being silly :D

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
j..m said:
Now ya just being silly :D

Sillier things have happened, like satellite dishes on their sides and upside down dishes, plus to make an aerial Horizontally polarised, you turn it 90 degrees from vertical... :p

j..m

ZZ Mop
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
NW UK
Ya can do tha "Ye olde" lie the dish on its back trick tho ....... Or am I thinking of summink else :-MrsC

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
j..m said:
Ya can do tha "Ye olde" lie the dish on its back trick tho ....... Or am I thinking of summink else :-MrsC

There's the upside-down method too, I've not tried it yet... :D