Programmer Help please?

exxxklusive

Reaction score
My Location
Merseyside
Hi...

I was wondering if there are any 'stand-alone' programmers out there that don't require connection to a pc? I have some major probs with my pc at the minute & i doubt i will be able to use any of the programmers i have read about so i'm hoping there is something i can use in the meantime until i get a new pc.
As you can tell, i am a new to all this & apologise if this is an overused or silly question.

My set-up is an Echostar AD-3000IP(software is ESCIAP200),Aston Cam 1.03 with a monoblock for Astra/Hotbird.(have a few old MMII cards here also)

If anyone could advise or point me in the right direction it would be much appreciated, cheers.

Exxx - Capable but lazy

T24

Info Exec
Reaction score
Hi exxxklusive

All the programmers require connection to a pc.

Regards

exxxklusive

Reaction score
My Location
Merseyside
Thanks T24, i appreciate you taking the time to reply to me, it was the answer i did'nt really wanna hear but grateful you took the time to answer...now i know lol...

Looks like i'll have to take a chance & hope whatever software i buy is ok on my 'dodgy-acting' pc...

To save starting another thread, if anyone could be kind enough to recommend a simple programmer & cards & whatever i might need to get the best out of my system mentioned above i would really really appreciate it.

Cheers...

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
The new USB Phoenix Elvis is quite well thought of and does not require a serial connection for programming Titanium cards, the Titanium card is probably best for you at the moment.

exxxklusive

Reaction score
My Location
Merseyside
Thanks for the advice rolfw...

I will checkout the Elvis & some others but i've not seen any for sale on any of the sales websites i've visited but i will keep looking. Also not sure wether it makes much difference if i get a white or blue titcard but as an Evertonian, i'm swayed for the blue one, i'll only need one card right?

Thanks again, it's appreciated. :)

T24

Info Exec
Reaction score
Yes you will need one card.there is a 6in1 titanium files too.

Good luck

exxxklusive

Reaction score
My Location
Merseyside
Thanks T24...

I think that means that is one file that opens up 6 ummm, packages...
Sorry, still learning, ok i'm cool that sounds good...
Will do some more reading/learning...cheers mate. :)

Razor

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Ireland
6 in 1 means there are 6 packages , but you only need to load the one file to the card. This one file will contain 6 sets of keys, and in some cases will let you update keys if a provider changes keys by your remote control.

exxxklusive

Reaction score
My Location
Merseyside
Thanks Razor...

I do appreciate you guys answering me & showing patience & understanding with my inexperience & lack of knowledge.
The 6-1 files seem a good way to go if you get a good varied package in them but i'm not gonna be too fussy at the start as i'm just eager to get myself some gear & managing to get everything right with the downloading & programming etc just to get viewing to get me some experience of doing this.
I know once i begin this & get my first sight of unscrambing picture, the bug will get me & i'll be wanting to buy more stuff & widen my viewing & eventually have a set-up that i can manage, while also gaining enough knowledge along the way to be able to change with the times as & when neccesary & reduce the need for asking questions in here & who knows, maybe even be able to give something back by helping someone here in the future.
All in good time i guess but the sooner the better. :)

Ok, one last question before this post becomes too offtopic & moved elsewhere...

You mentioned about being able to update keys by remote control sometimes...Would this info be provided along with keys in a file, like a 'readme' or something?...or will this be something i will just learn when & how to do as i go along? Thanks in advance whoever can answer...

Cheers

exxxklusive

Reaction score
My Location
Merseyside
Hey...

Well, my computer has now blew up lol so now i won't have any problems with connecting a programmer to my pc as i'm currently in the process of shopping for a new one. (Can you believe i'm typing this on an old Dreamcast which i've just configured to my ISP lol)

With my new pc & knowing i will be shortly upgrading my system to be motorised (Hopefully with a 1.2 dish too), this means i can now buy any programmer/cards & Cam i like...
Can anyone please reccomend the best cam/cards & programmer for my set-up?
Also i am having a few probs with my reciever as it freezes up totally when i happen to surf onto the Multivision channels on Hotbird which means i have to then reboot. (Anyone help me with this?) so i may also consider buying a new reciever too so i would like some reccomendations for this also.
Thanks in advance.

Exxx- Capable but lazy

jimbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky HD, TM6800HD, Manhattan Plaza ST550 and TM1500 CI+. 1.0m dish and 36v motor, Panasonic DVD HDD recorder and Panasonic video/DVD recorder. Sony G800 HD TV stand/surround system + Sony KDL40W2000. Infinity USB, Elvis, CAS1, CAS2.
My Location
Greater London
Hi exxxklusive

Well now....or even WELL NOW. Lots to think about at the moment with new cams and cards coming on the market quite often. Of course all cams and cards depend on 'file guys' and the release of those files so there's no one easy solution. It's a question of watch this space and keep tuning in. Personally I'm happy with my Matrix Reloaded and Dragon cams and titanium cards. Others will prefer the Matrix Revolution and/or the X-cam. Still all dependent on files.

For programming I like the Ad-Teknik 3.5 USB which will program most cards on the market including the dragon loader card. The beauty of it is that it does not need a serial connection for phoenix mode, it's purely USB. Unlike the Infinity which needs both. I quite like the software for this too, written by TJ and always up to date. This link gives details. http://www.r6.anonymous-ns.nl/uk/index.htm

Of course you may require a Cas interface from Duolabs and their 'Dynamite' programmer is receiving fairly good reviews. Have a read http://www.duolabs.com/products.htm

As for receivers, take your pick really but you need to list your requirements first. Personally I've always enjoyed my Echostars but I'm looking to change/update soon. Lots of ppl will say ..oh get a dreambox...even if they haven't got one. A real enthusiasts machine but needs lots of TLC. I'm quite interested in Manhattan's new 'Plaza St' range. Some of the models are PVR ready and have the facility for 'blind searching'. One even has a DC positioner which I prefer if I'm honest. You can see the full range on this link http://www.manhattan-receivers.com/modules/news/

Anyway, just a few views to whet your appetite, I'm sure others will chip in with some info for you. :)

exxxklusive

Reaction score
My Location
Merseyside
Hey Jimbo...

Thanks for your reply mate, very informative & your links saved me some search time, unfortunately the Ad-Teknic link did'nt work for me (this browser is crap) but was able to view the Duolabs & Manhattan link & will definitely consider this brand if a new reciever is needed. (Liked the idea of the blind search, would/could this also be used for finding feeds?)
I guess my only real requirements when deciding which reciever to buy is that it has 2 CI slots for 2 cams & a reciever which does'nt seem to have as many compatibity probles with cams/cards/codes etc as others do.
I'm a member of Toey's too so will be hopefuly getting any files fromt here for now so i'm hoping to buy add-ons like cams/cards etc that will hopefully give me a few options when all files are not continously available. (If you know what i mean), as long as i have the option of things to watch with my eventual set-up (files allowing) then i will be quite happy.
If it turns out that i do need a new reciever, i will buy this before deciding on what cam/cards to buy etc...Are there any reciever makes/models i should avoid?
Thanks again for all your help.

Exxx - Capable but lazy