Advice Needed Receiving both 19.2 and 28.2

ClickSte

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Astra 2E/2F/2G at 28.2°E
My Location
Glossop, Derbyshire
Hi, Our Sky Contract is up later in the year and we've decided that rather than keeping this going I'd like to go FTA, but I'm also interesting in receiving services from 19.2 East (I'm learning German at the moment so this would be really useful, I also gather that some foreign language channels allow you to change the audio feed to 'original language' so this could be good for some of the US Imports that aren't usually available FTA in the UK.

I've been doing some research on this, I'd gather I'd need to get a bigger dish, an additional LNB, a DiSEqC and a new receiver that supports DiSEqC so I can in scan in both sets of satellites at the same time. I'm assuming that the two orbital positions are too far apart to use any kind of monoblock device? (please correct me if I'm wrong!)

I've considered getting a Freesat Box, just to have the UK channels in some kind of logical order (and also to retain the 7 day epg and recording etc) but can't see if any of the newer boxes support DiSEqC, otherwise I've seen some good reviews of the Tecnomate boxes. My other concern would be that having to flip between non-Freesat and Freesat mode would be quite tiresome after a while, when it would be nice to be able to just flip between channels.

Any advice would be gratefully received, and also any receiver recommendations!

Apologies to be asking to many questions, and thanks again!

Mickha

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2M Channel Master, 1224 motor, VU+ Duo 2
My Location
North West
Hi ClickSte,
welcome to the forum.

Using two LNB's, an 80cm dish, and a Diseqc switch, you can quite easily get 19.2E, and 28.2E, on the majority of modern satellite receivers, and they will switch between channels, and satellites, without you even noticing which satellite is which.

You can also store your channels, in favourites, or Boquets, for easy access, to separate English, and German, channels, and even set up favourites for children, film channels, documentaries, sports, general entertainment, and numerous other categories.

You could also use twin LNB's, two outputs, and a receiver with two tuners, so that you can record, and watch, channels, at the same time.
Some receivers can also have an internal hard drive, for recording, and playback, of programs.
The more complex satellite receivers also have IPTV, Kodi, and other features.
It all depends on your needs, and budget.

ClickSte

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Astra 2E/2F/2G at 28.2°E
My Location
Glossop, Derbyshire
Thanks Mickha, think I need to do a bit more research on receivers, I already use Kodi on a Raspbery Pi at home in conjunction with my NAS, so I'm intrigued by this prospect!

4wd

Getting the picture
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
5 W, 9-13-19-28 E
My Location
Bergen, Norway \ Alpes Maritimes, France
I've considered getting a Freesat Box
Some opinions:
Get a twin input receiver, with good capacity internal hd.

- Dedicated Freesat (Humax hdr), very practical for Freesat (up and going in 2 minutes, auto channel update, catch-up over internet, 7 day epg, easy recording etc) but cumbersome and restricted for use on any other sat positions.

- General non-enigma2 sat receivers : relatively easy to set up, great for receiving many sattelites, but afaik no 7 day epg on Freesat (only 'now and next', correct me if there are non-freesat boxes offering full UK epg).

- Enigma 2 (linux) receivers: 'a little work' (lol) to set up, but once basically mastered offers full flexibility, good for any kind of reception.

ClickSte

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Astra 2E/2F/2G at 28.2°E
My Location
Glossop, Derbyshire
Some opinions:
Get a twin input receiver, with good capacity internal hd.

- Dedicated Freesat (Humax hdr), very practical for Freesat (up and going in 2 minutes, auto channel update, catch-up over internet, 7 day epg, easy recording etc) but cumbersome and restricted for use on any other sat positions.

- General non-enigma2 sat receivers : relatively easy to set up, great for receiving many sattelites, but afaik no 7 day epg on Freesat (only 'now and next', correct me if there are non-freesat boxes offering full UK epg).

- Enigma 2 (linux) receivers: 'a little work' (lol) to set up, but once basically mastered offers full flexibility, good for any kind of reception.

Thanks 4wd, going to look into the Enigma 2 receivers now - looks like it could be quite a fun project for me (I've only just got the Raspberry Pi set-up exactly how I want it, so I'm used to the fun and games of flashing images, sorting out plug-ins etc).

I need to strike a balance between getting everything exactly how I want, with the relevant channels etc all accessible, but also making it really easy to use so my other half isn't moaning that they can't record Gogglebox :-D

mickwig

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
240cm Raven Offset, Invacomm Quad LNB;
120 cm Kathrein PF Polarmount, Kathrein Quattro LNB
90cm Astra1 dish;
Samsung LED TV with built-in DVB-S, Panasonic BlueRay Rec with Twin-Tuner, Panasonic BSkyB-Box 1.Generation; TBS5925 USB Card
My Location
49.77N;11.41E Pottenstein, Germany
I would not count on receiving programmes in fta on 19.2 E that are only available as pay tv on 28.2 E. German fta stations don't do multi-language for license reasons, only Sky Germany - and you will have to pay for that. Multi-language will - if at all - be only available on DVB-T. And you pay about the same for Sky in DE as in GB but GB has a lot more channels for that money.