Request..Sirius, Thor Decoder advice

Rabbit

EUROPEAN CHAMPIONS x5
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Satellite Setup
System1..
Channel Master 1.8m with CM Feedhorn AZ/EL Mount. MTI AP82-TW 0.6dB LNB. Thomson Sky HD Decoder
System2..
Internet TV... Sweden's Telia Broadband service.
My Location
Hässleholm,South Sweden
Generally I am into Astra 2D, so this part of satellite I am a novice at, so please excuse me!
I currently have an old Nokia Viaccess decoder which I want replacing because of it freezing out very often, and its very slow. I am located in southern Sweden, and have a fixed dish with 4 LNB's that picks up Thor, Sirius, Astra and Hotbird. My Viaaccess decoder currently has an in built 'viaaccess', so I can receive channels on my Swedish Viasat card. I also have a Conax module where I can insert my Canal + card.
I need to know if anyone can recommend a good replacement that is fast, can store thousands of channels, and can still cater for my conax module and a spare slot for my Via-sat card. And also any other improvements that I am unaware of would also be nice to know!
I also have problems, as I can only receive canal + channels. The dish is aligned properly, and everything seems to be set up ok. Could the problem be the 4 way diseq switch located lose to my dish?

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Viasat will shortly move to an encryption called Videoguard (VG), which is only available with a few embedded receivers. There is no VG Cam version that I know of

The problem is going to be what will happen with those wanting both VG and Conax from the same receiver

T24 may have a solution, but my advice would be to wait until there is news on what receiver is recommended by the broadcaster

Rabbit

EUROPEAN CHAMPIONS x5
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Satellite Setup
System1..
Channel Master 1.8m with CM Feedhorn AZ/EL Mount. MTI AP82-TW 0.6dB LNB. Thomson Sky HD Decoder
System2..
Internet TV... Sweden's Telia Broadband service.
My Location
Hässleholm,South Sweden
I have contacted Viasat, and I have a list of 'Viasat approved' receivers, to receive Viasat after they change over to Videoguard. I asked which one they would recommend, and it is a Strong SRT8700. This has built in card readers for both Viaccess and Conax Encrypted services...Viasat and Canal +. It looks like a better improvement on my Nokia 9802, and sounds fast. But does not have RGB or a digital output. I was wondering if you know if this receiver is any good? I was hoping the Samsung DSR 9500 was approved for Videoguard, but unfortunately it will not be.
Also Viasat told me that those approved receivers which need a module to receive Canal +, may not work very well in the near future. This is going to be a big problem for a lot of subscribers in the Nordic countries.
Should start another thread, to see if anyone recognises the Strong SRT8700?

T24

Info Exec
Reaction score
Hi

The problem is videogard encryption system,otherwise Samsung DSR 9500 AY is the

fastest receiver ever made,2 embedded cams viaccess and conax,4000 channels.2 CI

slots.but I am sure the SRT8700 is a good receiver too.