Restoring a working antique dish to full functionality..

Vipersan

Emmett Browns Ghost
My Satellite Setup
IP9000HD +
TD110 Dish and TD88 Dish in Tandem
66°East to 60°West.
AZbox PrmHD + OpnbxS9HD + Skybox + DrHD F15
2x VboxII AZ-EL
2 m+ Alcoa PF + BSC421 C-Band lnbf...
+SS2/TwHnS2-3200 pci/TBS6925 pci
1.5 Fortec Star -Gbox - HtoH Ku/Ka/C
My Location
UK
I've started this thread in the hope that CH can move all my posts regarding Christine ..a 1970s 1.8mtr petalised dish to a seperate thread.
When he has time of course.
I appologise for clogging up the low SR thread ...but thats how it goes sometimes when a question becomes a quest.
rgds
VS
 
Since this post isn't a continuation of anything else related to Christine ..I figured I'd post it in this thread.
The 40 mm diameter PVC black plastic billet arrived this morning..
Obviously an offcut from something larger but perfect for my needs.
So the most difficult thing was finding the centre ...and for this I first stuck a white label on one end..then used the 2 chord method with right angles at each mid point....thus where they crossed was as near as dammit centre.
Having marked this point I drilled out to about and inch with a 2mm pilot drill then used a 14mm wood spade bit about 3 inches depth as to allow a laser pen to slide inside...another 1/4 inch push depresses the on button and turns on the laser.
No gurantees of course of the central accuracy of the laser pen...but imo...close enough for government work..
here are the pics.
rgds
 

Attachments

  • P1010043.webp
    P1010043.webp
    640.5 KB · Views: 29
  • P1010044.webp
    P1010044.webp
    879.8 KB · Views: 23
  • P1010045.webp
    P1010045.webp
    931.3 KB · Views: 25
  • P1010046.webp
    P1010046.webp
    652.7 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
Nice job Vipersan, I did almost the same thing but with a solid 3 inch diameter by 3 inches long piece of nylon, I used a wood lathe to make a piece like that for aiming a modified 3 meter dish.
 
It could be done CH ...put this seemed a better method in that it can be done quickly plus removed more easily .
In my case there is a removeable panel at Christines centre..though a flanged panel would have to be created that both centres and allows rigid mounting at exact right angles to the dish plane at the centre..
So yes ..of course it could be done but much more work involved...with less room for error.
..but technically once fitted it could remain permanent...since the laser would be in a permanent area of shadow beneath the lnb.
maybe I will consider this at some point.
rgds

Gotta love that bore sighter...
much more likely accurate than a cat toy..
lol
 
Last edited:
They make a laser boar sighter for rifles, it runs on two "AAA" battery's and has a switch on the back so you don't have to get very creative, I have one for my .308, but after setting up the scope on it I hardly use it, only when I need to with a friend or someone that needs it done after a new scope.
 
yep just popped bagged a green chargeable one for myself...
sod the expense.
lol
 
No gurantees of course of the central accuracy of the laser pen...but imo...close enough for government work..

After 15 years of useless governments I can confidently state some twigs held together with cotton thread is more than good enough for government work . . .
 
Back
Top