Sat Queries

Nismo400R

Follow, Follow
Reaction score
My Location
Manchester UK
Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone would be able to give me any advice on some things before I go and do it.

I live in the North of England and am hoping to set up a system capable of receiving Premiership football. I am thinking of buying a 60cm dish and attaching 2 LNB's to pick up Hot Bird 13e and Astra 19.2e. Does anyone know if these are the best satellites to choose to pick football up. Also would i be better picking up a digital receiver with most of the regular encryptions already embedded in?? i.e. V*a*cc*s and $e*a. My house faces eastwards and we use to have an analogue system set up which picked up astra 19.2e so I'm pretty sure I should be able to pick that up.

Also does anyone have a certain cam that they use that they would think be beneficial for me to use. And how difficult is it to program a card?? after it is programmed, can I update it via remote control?

Any help is greatly appreciated.:-righton

pete12

Reaction score
Nismo400R

I was in the same position as you last August. After doing some reading I decided on a motorised system and I'm very glad that I did. I'm in Manchester and have a 90cm dish with Diseq motor. The dish is 90cm across and 1m top to bottom, I think this qualifies as 90cm?

I tend to watch most of my premiership football (and there is a lot of it) on FTA channels. These are NTV on 42E, Top Channell on 10E, Sport RO on 5E. Premiership football is also available on MBC on 26E (no matter how I try I can't tune this one in). FA Cup is FTA on DSF on 19E. I can also watch encrypted on RTL5 on 19E. My embedded Magic Cam with Funcard can decode this. Up until recently I could also watch encryted channells on 1W and 30W, with the right equipment these are still available. I am delaying buying new encryption equipment until the start of the next season as things change rapidly in the satellite world.

If you look at www.knplogic.co.uk you will be amazed at what football is available. Although it depends on what cam and card that you have as to what you can see. Also bear in mind that we don't know who's got the premiereship rights for next year. At least I don't anyway.

As for cams the X cam and the Dragon cam are the latest. Thats probably changed as I write. You will need to read up on this and in doing this you will see what programmers are needed for what device.

Regards

pete12

Nismo400R

Follow, Follow
Reaction score
My Location
Manchester UK
Thanks for that Pete, i have been talking to quite a few people and they have been reccomending the MR cam saying it will do virtually everything that I want it to do without the use of a card in some cases. So do you think im better waiting till next season before I go out shopping or is the time now?

pete12

Reaction score
Nismo400R

From what I've read the MR can do what my Magic Cam (embedded) can do if a I bought a Titanium card, (very difficult to get hold off) and a new programmer. My existing programmer will do Fun Cards but not Titanium cards. 8 months ago Fun Cards were what was used, now they have limited use for encryptions. This is what you have to accept if you enter the satellite hobby (that's what it is) whats good one week maybe not the next.
The problem with the cams is when a maker brings out a new cam they cease to support the older models. There's a new wave off cams out there which is the best and what will survive I don't know. Maybe it's the MR

The only advice that I can offer that is concrete is to go motorised. This will allow you to take advantage of FTA and other satellites. When they were available to me Thor(1W) and Hispasat(30) were far the best.

Regards

pete12