Advice Needed Setup for Astra 19.2E (Astra1[L/M/N/KR])

JacketPotato

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Standard Freesat satellite pointing towards Astra 2E/F/G
My Location
South West London
I'm considering getting a second dish for the house to access services on Astra 19.2E to help me learn German (and because I could move it to another position for interesting things, or motorize it).
The house already has the smaller Zone 1 minidish that's currently used for freesat (although it's not working amazingly at the moment as there is so little buffer before signal is lost and ITV4 HD breaks up for some reason) so I would like to get another one, so that freesat can still be used.
However, I'm unsure what dish size to get, as Lyngsat Maps reckons I only need a 50cm dish, but SatBeams reckons I need 60cms. 60cms would be fine except I cant seem to find concrete information on how big a Zone 1 vs Zone 2 minidish is. Some sellers on ebay (who I know aren't to be trusted) say that zone 2 dishes are 60cms and some say 80cms!
World-of-Satellite sell a very cheap 65cm bundle, which should be plenty for most sats i'm interested in, but if people think that a sky minidish would be big enough, obvioulsy a sky minidish from ebay would be cheaper.
The world of satellite bundle in question (Solid) it also comes in a mesh version here. I would probably be upgrading to a twin LNB. I would appreciate it if someone could tell me wether this bundle is good value, and if it isn't, which ebay listings seem correct. I also had a look on https://cpc.farnell.com/ but their satellite products seemed quite expensive.
Also, does anyone know if this cable that World-Of-Satellite sell is any good?
Sorry for the slightly rambly post :)
PS: I'd either be using a HUMAX FOXSAT-HDR, or an old panasonic TV for viewing

ozumo

te wo tsuite
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Raven mk2 zone 2 x4, Channel Master: 90cm x3, 1.2m x2, 1.8m PF. CM polar mount x2, Az/El x3.
My Location
South Durham
With a Zone 1 dish your 28.2°E reception should be fine in all but the worst storm conditions so it is likely the dish is misaligned or the LNB is on it's way out.

A 60cm dish would be ideal for 19.2°E, I would consider a Zone 2 to have similar performance to a 65cm 'round' dish. A Zone 1 should also work but with less margin for rain. Also be sure to get a Universal or Quad LNB, the Sky Q wideband type (generally identified by 2 outputs and Sky logo) won't work on your receiver or TV.

RG6 cable should be sufficient as long as the cable runs aren't too long.

JacketPotato

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
South West London
With a Zone 1 dish your 28.2°E reception should be fine in all but the worst storm conditions so it is likely the dish is mistaligned or the LNB is on it's way out.

A 60cm dish would be ideal for 19.2°E, I would consider a Zone 2 to have similar performance to a 65cm 'round' dish. A Zone 1 should also work but with less margin for rain. Also be sure to get a Universal or Quad LNB, the Sky Q wideband type (generally identified by 2 outputs and Sky logo) won't work on your receiver or TV.

RG6 cable should be sufficient as long as the cable runs aren't too long.
Thanks for the quick reply, I'm aware that my 28.2E reception should be fine, I had a go realigning it a while ago, but I suspect that either the elevation is wrong, or the LNB is too ancient, as you said. After all the LNB and the dish has got to be at least 18 years old.
Glad to hear that a Zone 2 dish should be enough, as a minidish would stand out a lot less on the house. I was already aware of not getting a wideband LNB, but thanks for the reminder.

If I had the option, would it be better to get a minidish, or the Technomate dish from World-of-Sat? I'm inclined to go with a minidish as it wil look a lot nicer

ozumo

te wo tsuite
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Raven mk2 zone 2 x4, Channel Master: 90cm x3, 1.2m x2, 1.8m PF. CM polar mount x2, Az/El x3.
My Location
South Durham
I imagine the Technomate would be slightly easier to motorise or change to a multi LNB setup but either would do. Also a cheap sat beeper will help with installation, the sound pitch changes in relation to the signal strength making aligning the dish relatively easy.

JacketPotato

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
South West London
Thanks for the info, I'm going to see if I can find a ridiculously cheap sat beeper from aliexpress or amazon. I'll post pictures on here when/if I get the setup.