Sky Q No Signal yet dish is aligned

speedcheese

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky Q, iMac 27", LG UHD 55"
My Location
Surrey, UK
Hi - I just moved into a new house which did not have a Sky dish. I have just fitted a new type 4 Sky dish which also has a hybrid LNB (2 wideband + 4 standard) fitted. I've run the cable to the Sky Q box, which was working fine in my old house, and aligned the dish using a combination of a Satellite strength meter as well as a dish alignment app on my phone to ensure it has the correct azimuth, elevation and skew. And yes I don't get any signal at all on the Sky Q box. Zero against signal strength and quality and the signal is unlocked. If I go into the engineers menu all the Transponder settings are the defaults.

I know there is a signal coming from the box because the signal meter gets power from both cables in the shotgun cable I've run.

Any ideas what could be wrong ?

FWIW, I also notice that I can access On Demand, Sky Cinema EPG, Sky Store but not the main EPG. I assume those are being fed off the internet connection that the box also has.

Mickha

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2M Channel Master, 1224 motor, VU+ Duo 2
My Location
North West
Welcome to the forum.
There are a lot of strong satellites, available in the UK, apart from Astra 2, 28.2E, including 23.5E, 19.2E, and many others.
Can you scan any other satellites, or transponders, using your Sky receiver, via the engineers menu?
You can check sites, like lyngsat, to give you an idea:
Code:
https://www.lyngsat.com/europe.html

speedcheese

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Surrey, UK
Thanks Mickha - forgive my ignorance but how would I do that ? Assume put in a different frequency in the engineers menu ?

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
I would be more inclined to move the dish slightly East until your meter tone increases again and perhaps slightly downward, you are almost certainly on the wrong satellite.

speedcheese

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Surrey, UK
I would be more inclined to move the dish slightly East until your meter tone increases again and perhaps slightly downward, you are almost certainly on the wrong satellite.
Bingo - you were absolutely right. Now locked on a transponder and getting a picture. Signal quality is 90 but strength is 0. Anything I can do about that ?

ozumo

te wo tsuite
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Raven mk2 zone 2 x4, Channel Master: 90cm x3, 1.2m x2, 1.8m PF. CM polar mount x2, Az/El x3.
My Location
South Durham
If you switch the box off & unplug it, then turn it back on does the strength remain at zero? Quality is the important figure though. Is the cable run particularly long, any kinks in the cable, does it go through a wall socket? Were the F-connectors on the cable pre-made or did you do them?

If there's no picture breakup when it rains then I wouldn't worry about it.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Have you set the LNB type to wideband and not SCR ?

speedcheese

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Surrey, UK
Hi Channel Hopper - yes, it's definitely set to wideband, and connected to the wideband LNB terminals. The cable run is about 25m which I know is probably at the outer edge of acceptable length but the F connectors are well terminated compression fittings so I'm surprised the attenuation should drop this significantly ?

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Bingo - you were absolutely right. Now locked on a transponder and getting a picture. Signal quality is 90 but strength is 0. Anything I can do about that ?

Which Transponder? Which Channel?