terrestrial signal splitting for 14 flats.

grzes

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
ok
My Location
uk
Hi ,
I am looking for the easiest way to split signal on 14 flats(just terrestrial).

My questions are:
1-what kind of aerial (televez 75 or different?)
2-what kind of splitter(s) and (if needed amplifie(s)r)

All i found is jus 8 way splitters.And 16 way multiswitch (but i dont need sat splitting).
Is there something like 14-16 way multiswitch just for terrestrial signal.
Or shall i split signal for 2x8way if yes,will i need any additional amplifiers,whats the signal loss ?
3-Where is the best place to buy online?
Thanks for help!!

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
The aerial required will depend on what the incoming signal is like, are you in a fringe location for terrestrial reception?

You will require a good quality launch amplifier, then depending on how the building is cabled, perhaps a two way splitter and two eight way splitters, the through loss on these would be about 12/14db, or a couple of eight way taps with staged attenuation ouputs, to cater for the difference in cable run lengths. You should also be earth bonding the input and outputs at the head end to the main earth.

Although you can probably lash it together without, you should be using some type of meter to make sure that the signal strengths at all outlets are within certain parameters.

PS. That is a very low spec for today's TV needs, most occupants would at the minimum expect a single satellite feed on top of the terrestrail UHF feed and probably a VHF outlet.

_www.jwhardy.co.uk are OK for sytem equipment

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
Yes, I would go along with that.

grzes, If it's flats then the norm now is 'Dual feed IRS'. This would overcome your splitting option as all sub feed cables will terminate to multiswitches. If it's a single cable option you could still go down the IRS route. What type of cabling config is it, star wired?

Also note the type of cabling installed at first fix. If it's not CAI benchmarked, you cannot earth bond it. The lower end grade type cabling will not carry dangerous voltages down to earth. If is low end cabling, it will need to be changed.

If you do end up supplying only UHF (MATV), then you can install isolated outlets to each flat as well.

Good luck