Top TV causes problems for Freeview

N

net1

Thousands of digital TV viewers have seen their screens go blank after preparations for the launch of a pay-TV service on Freeview wiped out several channels, including those of the BBC.
The incident happened after Top Up TV, the new pay-TV service for Freeview, sent a signal to all 3 million Freeview boxes in preparation for their launch this spring.

But the software, designed to upload the line-up of channels available through the remote control, sent a minority of the set-top boxes haywire, leaving viewers without their favourite channels.

Viewers have complained of losing BBC channels and another suite of channels including Sky Sports News, Sky News, Sky Travel and UK History. Contributors to digital television site Digital Spy have also complained of losing channels, some of them blaming Top Up TV and others the set-top box manufacturers.

"Top Up TV, a service on the DTT platform, has broadcast a download as part of the preparations for the launch of its services, and this has created problems with the memories of some receivers - as a result, some set-top boxes have lost some of the Sky channels on Freeview," explained a Freeview spokeswoman.

"This is not a Freeview fault, and we understand the manufacturers of the boxes concerned are working to rectify the problem," she added.

However, the problem will heighten BBC fears that the launch of Top Up TV could destabilise the Freeview channels and shake consumer confidence in the digital product.

Those believed to be affected include owners of Sagem set-top boxes, Sony integrated digital sets and some Philips boxes. The Freeview spokeswoman said that those affected only had enough memory to store 50 channels and the manufacturers responsible were working on a new software download that should rectify the problem.

"We understand that some makes of set-top box and IDTV's have recently performed an auto tune, having picked up a download message concerning adding new channels," it said.

"This download did not originate from the BBC and as a result the STB and IDTV's have lost some or all of their BBC service," said the statement.

"This would appear to be caused by limited memory, possibly due to the software version. This is beyond our control; we are aware that the manufacturers affected are seeking a speedy resolution to this issue," it added.

The BBC is also concerned that Top Up TV will confuse potential customers and derail Freeview's progress to date.

PoloMint

Super Minty Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1200cc with 100,000,000,000 neurons and 100,000,000,000,000 connections
My Location
Fife, Scotland
net1 said:
...Those believed to be affected include owners of Sagem set-top boxes, Sony integrated digital sets and some Philips boxes...

Strange as that is a make of box that TopUp Tv say won’t support pay channels initially.

If the software is being updated on those boxes, it suggests that they are confident that they will support the encryption soon, or they are just confused.

Do the Sagem boxes have an inbuilt cam or cam slot?

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
The Sagem box has two card slots, but they appeared to be blocked on the one I saw the other day.

I would add though that I am have big problems with faulty boxes of all makes at the moment, regardless of these download transmissions, to the degree that I am becoming reluctant to supply them.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
The vast majority of stbs (terrestrial and satellite)are sourced from a limited number of outlets in the Far East, and badged with names that are familiar over here. Consequently there are many of the designs that share similar chipsets and the sourcecodes of the firmware, the software engineers that were about in the late 90s are still employed in providing the functionality of the latest designs

The upgrades to the terrestrial mux for the channel that are being sent are bound to cause some detrimental effects on many of the new products on the market, and its almost impossible for a UK broadcaster to determine how far reaching the upgrades sent over the air are on the rest of the boxes used for Freeview reception.

loftyj

Reaction score
Can confirm that the Sagem box as two slots blocked off. There are no card
readers built in to the box, so what thay are there for makes your guess as good
as mine.