tv loses signal when skybox turned on (f5s)

billwah

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
skybos f5s
My Location
oxford
HI there all, my first post so be aware i'm a bit of a noob...
I currently have an Lg smart TV receiving DTV via aerial and connected through Marantz Nr1603 AV receiver to spkr setup. I've just purchased a skybox f5s which worked first time when connected to the Av receiver. Thing is, if i switch the Tv's input back to Aerial input (normal DTV), there is no signal until i turn the F5s off.
The Aerial and Satellite wallplate are a dual stainless steel affair, so i'm wondering if the powered output from the skybox is causing issues at the iput to my TV'v Ae connection?
Should I be worried?
Also is there a way to overcome this as my missus won't know why the TV is not working if she doesn't know the skybox is turned on.
Many thanks in advance to anyone taking the time to reply,
Billwah

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
Hi,
Sounds like you need to move the sky receivers RF output to another channel.

billwah

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
skybos f5s
My Location
oxford
Hi,
Sounds like you need to move the sky receivers RF output to another channel.

I have no idea what that means i'm afraid. The skybox outputs via HDMI to the Marantz AV Receiver.
Told you i'm a satellite noob.
Would you care to elaborate?

mikeisyou

Feed Hunter
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Octagon SX88+, Static 1.2m Raven Dish (22w to 33e), Motorized Dish (9e to 52e)
My Location
England
I have no idea what that means i'm afraid. The skybox outputs via HDMI to the Marantz AV Receiver.
Told you i'm a satellite noob.
Would you care to elaborate?

The skybox will have a port on the back of it like the hdmi port but it is a RF Output which will look like an aerial socket.

How do I change the RF output channel on a Sky Digibox?

Press the [SERVICES] button and then press [4] [0] [1] then [SELECT]

Then press [4] to go to the RF output menu.

Now you can change the value,

HD and "new EPG" boxes
If you have a HD box, press [SERVICES] button and then press [0] [0] [1] then [SELECT]. Nothing is shown on the TV screen until you press the Select button.

Then use the (RIGHT) arrow button on the remote until this screen is shown, and press SELECT to change the values:[/RIGHT]

billwah

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
skybos f5s
My Location
oxford
The skybox will have a port on the back of it like the hdmi port but it is a RF Output which will look like an aerial socket.

HD and "new EPG" boxes
If you have a HD box, press [SERVICES] button and then press [0] [0] [1] then [SELECT]. Nothing is shown on the TV screen until you press the Select button.

Then use the
arrow button on the remote until this screen is shown, and press SELECT to change the values:​
Thanks for the reply, but i have a 'skybox F5s', not a satellite box from Sky. That menu is for a Sky supplier receiver.
I've had a look through the menu options of my F5s, but its not very user freindly.

timo_w2s

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.timo.me.uk
My Satellite Setup
See Signature
My Location
Maidenhead, UK & Helsinki, Finland
A bit of a long shot but it could be the HDMI cable is leaking interference if you have a weak Freeview signal and/or badly screened aerial cables. Try moving the HDMI cable away from the aerial cables.

You can test if it is the HDMI cable causing issued by switching on the Skybox and tuning to Freeview. If you then unplug the HDMI cable from the back of the Skybox and Freeview comes back then chances are it's the HDMI cable that is causing the problem.

billwah

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
skybos f5s
My Location
oxford
A bit of a long shot but it could be the HDMI cable is leaking interference if you have a weak Freeview signal and/or badly screened aerial cables. Try moving the HDMI cable away from the aerial cables.

You can test if it is the HDMI cable causing issued by switching on the Skybox and tuning to Freeview. If you then unplug the HDMI cable from the back of the Skybox and Freeview comes back then chances are it's the HDMI cable that is causing the problem.
Thanks for the reply, I'll try that right now!

billwah

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
skybos f5s
My Location
oxford

Tried it, no joy I'm afraid. Worth a shout though.
I think I'll replace the metal wall plate with a ceramic one to insulate the Ae socket from the SAT connector.

Fisty McB

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See my signature...
My Location
County Tyrone, N. Ireland
There's a chance that the Skybox F5S could be pumping out a crapload of interference that is getting into your TV aerial lead and affecting your Free view reception. The general solution is to make sure that all leads involved are double shielded and the wallplate is also shielded. Many cheap electronic goods made in China (like the F5S?) are notorious for spewing out interference that's unlikely to fully meet UK & EU standards.

billwah

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
skybos f5s
My Location
oxford
There's a chance that the Skybox F5S could be pumping out a crapload of interference that is getting into your TV aerial lead and affecting your Free view reception. The general solution is to make sure that all leads involved are double shielded and the wallplate is also shielded. Many cheap electronic goods made in China (like the F5S?) are notorious for spewing out interference that's unlikely to fully meet UK & EU standards.
Sounds like you could be right. Just for a test, I replaced the skybox with an old humax foxsat freeSAT receiver. Same cables, same sat dish, no interference.
Any ideas which cable to try changing first? Perhaps a decent Tv Ae cable?
Many thanks for giving me the idea. I've found this forum to be most helpful, and as of yet, troll free.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors

HD and "new EPG" boxes

The Skybox receivers are successors to Openbox and are flexible generic DVB S2 receivers with no RF capability.

timo_w2s

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.timo.me.uk
My Satellite Setup
See Signature
My Location
Tried it, no joy I'm afraid. Worth a shout though.
Aah shame, for me repositioning the HDMI cable fixed reception of the Freeview HD channels which were disappearing when my receiver was on. Took me a while to work that one out though...

timo_w2s

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.timo.me.uk
My Satellite Setup
See Signature
My Location
Sounds like you could be right. Just for a test, I replaced the skybox with an old humax foxsat freeSAT receiver. Same cables, same sat dish, no interference.
Any ideas which cable to try changing first? Perhaps a decent Tv Ae cable?
Many thanks for giving me the idea. I've found this forum to be most helpful, and as of yet, troll free.
For all my terrestrial TV cables I now make my own using double screened satellite cable and it's made a big difference to signal levels. I found a lot of the premade thin flexible TV cables that came with equipment were really bad.