Advice Needed Update Channel List Via Internet / Network

loadedboyukagain

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
lots and many
My Location
somerset UK
hi everyone.

I'm looking for a solution to a problem.
I have a relative that I often have to go round to and retune their free-to-air UK satellite box, its becoming a pain.

I'm looking for a device that I can remotely update the channel list on from my system or PC.

I'm thinking a VU+ box would do it, but they are pricey for an experiment.

Any suggestions for a solution to be able to do this would be really helpful.

I was thinking to have a matching box at my house, then I could download / update the list from my box to theirs

Hopefully someone has some good ideas, I'm quite up on most things sat related but this something I have never tried to do before.

Mickha

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2M Channel Master, 1224 motor, VU+ Duo 2
My Location
North West
Any Enigma 2 based receiver should do it, but these are a lot more difficult, for the user, to understand, if they're experiencing problems with a FTA satellite receiver, depending if it's a dedicaed Freesat receiver, or just a normal satellite receiver.

Can you please post make/model of current satellite receiver?

Manikm909

Small'ish Dish Man
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Channel Master 1.8M on Edision MIO 4K & GTMEDIA Combo, and CM1.2M on Octagon SF8008
My Location
Kent, UK
get a cheap zgemma h2s (twin sat tuner) - and install the "AutoBouquets E2 28.2E Enigma2 Plugin" - then show your relative how to update - very simple!!

crossepg set to update EPG daily - jobs a goodun.

i have 2, one in kitchen, and one in lounge - great little boxes for freesat (dont bother for anything other than 28.2e)

you can get them for under 50 quid on e8ay

loadedboyukagain

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
lots and many
My Location
somerset UK
Any Enigma 2 based receiver should do it, but these are a lot more difficult, for the user, to understand, if they're experiencing problems with a FTA satellite receiver, depending if it's a dedicaed Freesat receiver, or just a normal satellite receiver.

Can you please post make/model of current satellite receiver?
I got them a TM 1500 (years ago) still working fine.

Yes I did think about using a sky mini box like the 595 model, but my long term worry is these are no longer made and will at some point be unviable.

loadedboyukagain

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
lots and many
My Location
somerset UK
get a cheap zgemma h2s (twin sat tuner) - and install the "AutoBouquets E2 28.2E Enigma2 Plugin" - then show your relative how to update - very simple!!

crossepg set to update EPG daily - jobs a goodun.

i have 2, one in kitchen, and one in lounge - great little boxes for freesat (dont bother for anything other than 28.2e)

you can get them for under 50 quid on e8ay
Yes these are the boxes I was looking at but showing them anything technical is a no, I need to be able to do it for them,
Do you mean this box will update automatically over night?

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
As Analoguesat says above, the out of the box solution is either a Freesat box, or a used Sky HD box, then no more updating required.

Manikm909

Small'ish Dish Man
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Channel Master 1.8M on Edision MIO 4K & GTMEDIA Combo, and CM1.2M on Octagon SF8008
My Location
Kent, UK
Yes these are the boxes I was looking at but showing them anything technical is a no, I need to be able to do it for them,
Do you mean this box will update automatically over night?
yes, they auto update on a schedule defined by you

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
I got them a TM 1500 (years ago) still working fine.

Yes I did think about using a sky mini box like the 595 model, but my long term worry is these are no longer made and will at some point be unviable.

Doesnt matter which box you use - eventually the whole satellite service will be closed down and everything delivered via broadband streaming. SKy HD boxes are cheap enough you could buy a couple & if the first one fails just swap it out for the spare & junk the busted one.

(The satellite service probably has less than 10 years left)

If they have a reasonably modern tv you could just set up BBC iplayer / ITVX / My4 / My5. Or if the tv is an LG it will almost certainly have a satellite input on it which you could utilise instead.