Advice Needed vbox pulse and the arc

WHATAGOAL1

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2.4, 1.8channelmaster, tm5402, tech1500, db920
My Location
Leic
if 2 satellites 10 degee apart at the top of the arc requires a count of 50
would it be also 50 for 2 satellite 10 degee apart at the bottom of the arc?

beavs2112

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
see signature
My Location
London, Ontario Canada
not for a linear actuator. for a linear actuator with 2 sats 10 degrees apart at the bottom of the arc its more like 5 counts separating them.
now for a true H2H motor like a Jaeger 1224 or AJAK180 it should be close to 50 counts.

WHATAGOAL1

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2.4, 1.8channelmaster, tm5402, tech1500, db920
My Location
Leic
i was using 50 as example, could be anything, but would they be equal?

Vipersan

Emmett Browns Ghost
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
IP9000HD +
TD110 Dish and TD88 Dish in Tandem
66°East to 60°West.
AZbox PrmHD + OpnbxS9HD + Skybox + DrHD F15
2x VboxII AZ-EL
2 m+ Alcoa PF + BSC421 C-Band lnbf...
+SS2/TwHnS2-3200 pci/TBS6925 pci
1.5 Fortec Star -Gbox - HtoH Ku/Ka/C
My Location
UK
i was using 50 as example, could be anything, but would they be equal?
The pulse count would be linear for an actuator ...but on a mount I think.. per degree of shift ..? not neccessarily..
The actual distance travelled by the worm drive is constant ...thus the pulse count is constant ..
but due to the trig triangle created ...you get more movement per inch of shift usually when the actuator is extended..past the pivot point.
But again ..this depends on your setup..
Usually the pulse count per degree at maximum extension would be shorter than than that at the more closed end of the actuator ...but this all depends on positioning ..ie the anchor point of the motor end of the jack ..and the offset from the pivot point of the dish ...
Its all down to triangles...
but generally in order to push past the pivot point to see that half of the arc when the jack is extended requires less movement per inch for each degree of arc ..therefore ..less pulses counted..
So ..a lot depends on your setup ..the type of mount used and the relative positions of the 'push' point ..and the anchor point of the actuator...
In my own case ...max closure of the jack is to the west ...and max open is to the east ..
Pulse count at 58W say is roughly 20 pulses per degree ..and when the jack is open ..ie pushing the dish to maximum at the east ...this is more like 5 pulses per degree..

Also ..when moving the dish from say 58W to Zero ..the jack is in compression ..thus pushing against the weight of the dish ..
but from Zero (pivot point) to 58E ..the jack is in tension ..ie supporting the weight of the dish..by pulling...

In short actuators are linear ..pulse counts per inch are constant ...but pulse counts per degree can vary according to the relative postioning (mount points) and the polar mount itself.
rgds
VS

Last edited:

Captain Jack

Retired human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
In fact, there's a formula somewhere on this forum when, given various values (distances from various points, pulses per inch etc.), well give you the exact figures that you're looking for. Simple-ish trigonometry...