VU+ Solo or Vantage 7100HD : Compare and contrast.

sonnetpete

Grumpy Old Retired Moderator and quiz inquisitor..
Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup
Laminas 1.2M fibre dish with an IBU, on a Clarke Tech USALS motor, covering 57E - 24.5W to an Octagon SX88. Displayed on a 20" Dyon LED TV.

Seperate 80 cm dish on 28E with a Humax Freesat for SWMBO.
Free Sat V8 meter. Sony Bravia 46" LCD, Sony BluRay and Home Cinema.
My Location
Normandy, France
When I bought the Vantage I was quite dissapointed. It's tuner wasn't as good as my Manhattan and the software and menus were very long winded and unfriendly. The last software upgrade improved matters a lot but overall I found it a let down. I'd read very positive comments on the VU+ and decided to take the plunge and actually buy one.

I was intimidated by the Linux part, not being too computer savvy. It's a lot easier than I thought. Definitely change over to a decent image (I'm running VIX 2.0), even before you start to scan for satellites. It's a big improvement on the factory image and quite simple to load on to the VU+ via a USB stick.

I like the sensitive tuner (less break up than the Vantage), the remote (more chunky and robust), the clear menu system and the plug in's ( the picons are a great idea). One of the best features is the ability to include the box in with your home network and therefore the capability to stream the box output to your laptop. Being able to edit your channel lists on the laptop with DBedit is another great feature and saves a lot of wear and tear on the remote (the Vantage used to be very frustrating prior to it's software upgrade when it came to editing channel lists). It's media player is excellent too, dealing with both movies and MP3's without problem. Picture quality is equal to or possibly slightly better than the Vantage.

Overall I'm very impressed and I haven't really dug deeply. My only gripe is that you don't appear to be able to delete channels from the main listing, but I'm setting up listings of my own anyway. It gets a big tick from me and don't be put off by the fact it's Linux based. If a computer numpty like me can get his head round it, I'm sure most people will.:):)

A nonymous

Reaction score
I used to think my DM7020 was the dogs danglies until i had the VU+ Duo.

I've not tried VIX 2.0 on mine. I tried the earlier versions of VIX and wasn't that impressed with the user interface and menus. It put me off the image alltogether. I found the whole image quite bland in all honesty, but thats just my opinion.

I also found Open PLi which VIX 2.0 is based on a horrendous image to work with on my old DM7020.

I'm running Blackhole on my Vu+ and i'm quite happy with it. I've also had a S.I.F on it and quite liked that also.

I'm not saying theres anything wrong or bad with VIX, its just not for me. I may try it again one day, but for now i'm sticking with Blackhole.

It seems that you have got to grips with the basics on the box, you've only covered abouy 25% of what the box can actually do.

I'm still learning with my Linux boxes and even after quite a few years i'm still finding new things that the box can do :D

Nano

Chris76

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Vu+ duo with a 300gb hdd also dm500 and tecnomate 5200 with a 1m and 1.1m motorized dishes and minidish fixed to 28.2
My Location
Belfast
Pete with the bouquets list up and the channel you want to delete highlighted hit the menu button and remove from bouquet.

Chris

sonnetpete

Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup
Laminas 1.2M fibre dish with an IBU, on a Clarke Tech USALS motor, covering 57E - 24.5W to an Octagon SX88. Displayed on a 20" Dyon LED TV.

My Location
Normandy, France
@ Nanochickin : Yes, VIX is a bit bland looking. I would have preferred it to be blue rather than that silvery grey, though it's way better than the other skins that are on the box. I agree, I have only scratched the surface with the VU+ (give me a chance, I've only had it a week!!).

@Chris76 : I can edit bouquets no problem from DBEdit and send them to the box. It's the channels on the 'All' list I can't delete (e.g. those phone s_x ones on 13°E). I'm going to set up bouquets for all the sats anyway so it's not really a problem though I worry about the main list taking up memory.

A nonymous

Reaction score
If you do try Blackhole Pete, back up all your bouquets and jot down your USALS co-ordinates before you try it.

I know you can't reload the settings when you upgrade to Vix 2.0 so it may be the same when you go back.

I also have all the emus for Blackhole so there won't be a problem there either. just let me know a few days before so i can sent which ever one you use to you. I can only do this at weekends though when i'm back at home as there all on my Home PC.

Nano

sonnetpete

Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup

My Location
Normandy, France
Nano (or anyone really!)

I've got a viewing card that came with an STB we received when we signed up with Orange broadband. It's for their package on 5°W (our broadband wasn't fast enough to have tv down the line so they had to provide the means to receive via satellite). I believe it's viaccess. Now it may well be that it's become 'unpaired', but I have it in the top slot of the VU+.

It's not showing anything when I call up the CI menu. Today I managed to get Cccam installed but it's apparently missing a cfg file. I'm not after doing anything 'dodgy', I'd just like to try and get the card working in the box. Any suggestions as to the next step? Or where I can obtain a cfg file (or make one?)

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Have you tried turning the card over?

sonnetpete

Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup

My Location
Normandy, France
Beleive it's in upside down (correct way) did try it both ways but that was pre Cccam install.

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
57E to 58W, C-band and Ku, DVB-S2, 4:2:2 and blindscan.
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
sonnetpete said:
where I can obtain a cfg file (or make one?)
Start with an empty text file. That's enough to get a Sky FTV card working so it may be the same with your setup. Name the file CCcam.cfg (exactly like this) and FTP it to /etc.

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
57E to 58W, C-band and Ku, DVB-S2, 4:2:2 and blindscan.
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
sonnetpete said:
Beleive it's in upside down (correct way) did try it both ways but that was pre Cccam install.
Correct way is the contacts on the bottom and in all the way.

sonnetpete

Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup

My Location
Normandy, France
Well last night I tried another skin and had to re boot the box. After that I found Cccam had started reading the card! Sadly, it seems the cards validity expired in 2008. Ho Hum!