bog standard
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80 cm dish hh motor teco tm1000 dreambox 7020
cas 3interface
dragon cam.promax tv explorer 2.
My Location
norwich
will freeview and free sat be free when analouge is turned off or will they change it to payiew .as i can not see how they can market it as freeview if we still have to pay the tv licence.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
I can't see what will have changed, the only difference will be that you will lose 5 analogue channels which are available free to air in digital.

moosegoose

bog standard
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80 cm dish hh motor teco tm1000 dreambox 7020
cas 3interface
dragon cam.promax tv explorer 2.
My Location
norwich
my point is if television detector van come round and i go to court .and plead i dont need a tv licence as its free to view (freeiew) i think i got some sort of case.i cant be the only one who hates paying for a tv licence.

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
I think you're confusing the term. Free To View means that you don't pay a subscription to watch a particular channel.

You don't pay your licence fee to watch any of these channels, the licence alllows you to operate your TV to receive, and view, ANY channel. Even if you restricted your viewing to subscription channels you would still need a TV (of some kind) to watch it on and that's why you have to have your licence.

j..m

ZZ Mop
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky Digibox Pace 2200, 3 remotes, 2 mice, 2 splitters, a amp adder thingi, a Thomson universal LNB & a zone 2 dish..... With foamy whatsit coax
My Location
NW UK
I tried writing to the TV licence pplz sayin I w0s gonna dump all me tellys etc & watch movies & that on line thro monitors from a comp

They came back & said I still need a licence if I watch British TV my any transport means

Bummer I thought

But still, I got my old ma livin' wiv us now ....... Who's over 75 & guess what ...... Ya gets a 100% TV licence fee reduction....... Yay ....... Ya still have to have a bitta paper that says that tho........ Doncha just love all that red tape ;)

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham
I don't like the TV licence... :mad:

If you think about it, we have licences for all kinds of things for a good reason, except for the TV licence. For example, you have a licence to drive a car, pub landlords and shopkeepers have a licence to sell alcohol. But the TV licence? It's more like an enforced subscription than a licence, as you can't crash into someone or sell Alcopops to kids with an unlicenced TV, so why is it so damned necessary??? :-Nooo

j..m

ZZ Mop
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky Digibox Pace 2200, 3 remotes, 2 mice, 2 splitters, a amp adder thingi, a Thomson universal LNB & a zone 2 dish..... With foamy whatsit coax
My Location
NW UK
If you own property or have "Your" name on the lease then its probably not worth getting in to a wrangle with the TV licencing perverts....... If you don't theres lots of ways of side stepping getting a fine..... You do have to be a bit wise tho' & not mind telling the cretin that comes to your door where to go ....... Its amazing that not having a TV licence carries such a huge fine ...... Where as not having Motor insurance, well its a slap on the wrist & a fine the size of a annual premium :(

A wise man once said to me ....... If a stranger asks you a question...... Before answering it ...... Ask yourself WHY? ..... 9/10 he wants a name to put on the top of a invoice

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
If the TV tax man comes to the door and you have no licence, they will inform you that you have the right to remain silent, and if you do there's b*gger all that they can do as they can't gether evidence that you have (or haven't in some people's cases) a TV or TV reception equipment... :cool:

Actually, I found a picture of their magic TV detector... :D

Here it is:

Attachments

• 22189050.jpg
    22189050.jpg
    5.3 KB · Views: 27

j..m

ZZ Mop
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
NW UK
2cvbloke said:
If the TV tax man comes to the door and you have no licence, they will inform you that you have the right to remain silent

Thats obviously never happened to you then.....

:-rofl2

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
j..m said:
Thats obviously never happened to you then.....

:-rofl2

They try to pester me, but I just ignore them... :D

aba

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
chaparral montery 40 fully loaded
ehcostar ad3600ipvia
3 dishes zone 2 / 1 mt motorized / 2.3 m motorized
My Location
nottingham
your tv license if for equpment that you have in your home that is capable of receiving any signal that comes through british air space that you have to have a tv to watch
weather you watch bbc or sky or chippatie tv

ie that easyer to understand

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
aba said:
your tv license if for equpment that you have in your home that is capable of receiving any signal that comes through british air space

That's a new one... :confused

Caned Toad

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Portland DP100 STB,
Asus Tiger Hybrid +
Kworld DBT100 +
Skystar 2 HTPC
My Location
UK
And a completely incorrect one. That would mean you would need a TV license to operate, among hundreds of other things, a mobile phone, a wireless keyboard, a radio controlled car, or one of those time-syncing watches....

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Caned Toad said:
And a completely incorrect one. That would mean you would need a TV license to operate, among hundreds of other things, a mobile phone, a wireless keyboard, a radio controlled car, or one of those time-syncing watches....

I thought it sounded new... :D

aba

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
chaparral montery 40 fully loaded
ehcostar ad3600ipvia
3 dishes zone 2 / 1 mt motorized / 2.3 m motorized
My Location
nottingham
your licence fee was to watch the bbc then when satellite tv came out they said if you were just watching satellite and not any bbc channels then you dont need a licence
then they said licence fee to watch satellite tv £ 5 a year no still loosing money
so it then went any signal that you receive through british air space that you need a tv to watch it on you must have a tv licence
is that clearer for you

now even if you have a tv card in your computor you should have a tv licence for it

brewby

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure that its, you need a tv licence in the UK for any equipment capable of recieving a UK tv transmission no matter how its transmitted, if you buy a tv/video/tv card/freeview box even a usb tv card, the retailer is required by law to inform the tv licencing authorities that you have purchased it and where you live, they then check to see if that address has a licence, if not you get a letter, this happens to me cos the licence is in my partners name and it pisses them off when I inform them of the licence number.

This is off the licencing website

Do I need a licence?

-
You need a TV Licence to use any television receiving equipment such as a TV set, set-top boxes, video or DVD recorders, computers or mobile phones to watch or record TV programmes as they are being shown on TV.

If you use a set-top box with a hi-fi system or another device that can only be used to produce sounds and can't display TV programmes, and you don't install or use any other TV receiving equipment, you don't need a TV Licence.
-

j..m

ZZ Mop
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
NW UK
brewby said:
I'm pretty sure that its, you need a tv licence in the UK for any equipment capable of recieving a UK tv transmission no matter how its transmitted
Thats the one

brewby said:
the retailer is required by law to inform the tv licencing authorities that you have purchased it and where you live
You are requested to bubble your customers, you don't have to

:p

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
My TV's tuner doesn't work (couldn't be ar53d to try and fix it), therefore does that mean it needs a licence? :D

j..m

ZZ Mop
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
NW UK
Yup ...... Fraid so

Caned Toad

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Portland DP100 STB,
Asus Tiger Hybrid +
Kworld DBT100 +
Skystar 2 HTPC
My Location
UK
LOL aba, we were only having a laugh.

You need a tv licence in the UK for any equipment capable of recieving a UK tv transmission no matter how its transmitted

Not quite, it doesn't matter whether it's a UK signal or not. Even if you point your dish east and only watch that, you still need a licence.

As to transmission method, The website clearly says "Satellite, cable or land based transmitter.". I'm not sure about this though, I agree with you, delivery method isn't important (transmission is only OTA).

Two cases as an example:

1) Watching on-demand on BBC (or even channel 4) website.

2) Having a friend record a show and give you the disc.

Surely they also require a licence?