Zapped through the aerial cable!!!

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham
I was splitting the aerial cable today so I could use my OnDigital box in my bedroom without the use of my useless rabbit ears aerial, but once I had got the original downlead connected back up and tested the signal in the living room, I went back up to the splitter and touched it to grip it when attatching the bedroom cable and I got one hell of a zap (not painful but enough to cause my arm to jerk back and whack the window frame, well when it hit the frame it DID hurt!!!), so I went downstairs and unplugged the aerial cable from my oggle box and saw a small spark which is making me wonder where the electricity is coming from as there shouldn't be any current in the aerial at all!!! :confused

Other than that shock everything's all working properly and I have a nice clear picture (both analogue and digital) in my bedroom... :D

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Its normal for tv and video equipment to "float" at about 40-50 volts. Its because everything isnt individually earthed these days, but is double insulated.

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Analoguesat said:
Its normal for tv and video equipment to "float" at about 40-50 volts. Its because everything isnt individually earthed these days, but is double insulated.

Should I earth the cable from the splitter then for safety? It's one of those metal cased ones used for cable TV/Broadband distribution rather than those cheapo white things so not difficult to do...

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
You will have to wait for someone with more electrical knowledge than me to answer that one.

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Analoguesat said:
You will have to wait for someone with more electrical knowledge than me to answer that one.

Okeydokes...

Oh, just noticed your badge is a red X...:D
Another one to find.... :-rofl2

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
The badges under my nick look ok here. Theres 4 red XXXX's on the avatar :)

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Analoguesat said:
The badges under my nick look ok here. Theres 4 red XXXX's on the avatar :)

Yeah, but I remember something about the badges once being stored in a Moderator-only section (and some still are by the looks of your single red X), so us non-mods can't see what you're seeing...:-doh! :D

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
See? That's all I see!!! O-Ha

:-bighappy

PoloMint

Super Minty Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1200cc with 100,000,000,000 neurons and 100,000,000,000,000 connections
My Location
Fife, Scotland
A slight shock from an aerial or metal part of a receiver/VCR/DVD player isn’t unusual. As Analoguesat says most of these boxes aren’t earthed, and so have a ‘floating earth’ that can be 50v or so different to ‘proper’ earth. However the current is tiny – so it’s harmless (in theory). Also if you have one unit earthed (such as an amplifier) this will normally be enough to prevent this in all connected devices. I believe the lack of earthing can be a problem in big communal systems when the entire system is not earthed and allowed to float – until someone touches an aerial and it’s all drained through them. I think that’s why they are earthed – maybe someone will correct/confirm this.

One problem with having all devices earthed, especially aerials and devices on different power lines, is it can cause an earth loop, resulting in a very annoying background hum on any sound equipment. (Most easily resolved by cutting the earth line to the amp, destroying the loop, and destroying the earthing to the amp – not recommended).

This really doesn’t answer your question about earthing it 2CV, take Analoguesats advice and wait till someone with proper electrical knowledge comes along...

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Not really my field either, but on communal systems, you also have the interphase potential of 400+ volts I believe, so earth bonding is a must. :)

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Some smartie edited my last post!!! :rolleyes:

Anyways, if I ground the splitter do you think I would get the Humming you mentioned or would it be minimal enough to go un-noticed?

PoloMint

Super Minty Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Fife, Scotland
Ahh I knew I was forgetting something about communal systems.

I once had a network to a neighbours house, after about a year I found out they were on a different power phase to us, still I think the earths of the houses were connected...

2CV – only way to know about the humming is to try it and see. Another problem with earthing aerials is it makes them even more attractive to lightning...

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
PoloMint said:
2CV – only way to know about the humming is to try it and see. Another problem with earthing aerials is it makes them even more attractive to lightning...

Ah, lightning, erm, I think I'll put up with being zapped with 40-50 volts than 40 to 50 thousand volts!!! :-rofl2

PoloMint

Super Minty Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Fife, Scotland
Yea, even without being earthed an aerial is probably still more attractive to lightning than the brick wall it’s mounted on. :eek:

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
PoloMint said:
Yea, even without being earthed an aerial is probably still more attractive to lightning than the brick wall it’s mounted on. :eek:

That strike has just jumped through about 10 miles of air. 40 feet of brickwork damp from the rain isnt going to stop it!

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
I dunno what you are complaining about 2CV - when I was a handyman in Yorkshire 20 years ago I regularly used to get 240V through me changing the bulbs around the field centre. Never did me any harm! :-lmao

Apart from making my heart race a few times.......!

misterminibus

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Kodi
My Location
Lancashire
my echostar has a 2 way split on the rf out and I regularly get a shock from it...it does me no harm and the sat box works fine with it too has done for over a year.....I say if it aint broke dont fix it... especially if like polomint says its more attractive to thor the lightening god.

PoloMint

Super Minty Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Fife, Scotland
Analoguesat said:
That strike has just jumped through about 10 miles of air. 40 feet of brickwork damp from the rain isnt going to stop it!

Yea the damp wall won't stop it, but anything metal on or near the wall will attract some of it, the better earthed the metal, the more it will attract.

But a tiny earth wire would vaporise instantly, along with the aerial cable, leaving your TV and most things connected a smouldering mess. But there's no way of avoiding this, if the aerials not earthed TV will still go, even if the aerial is earthed to a lightning conductor (which isn't good for reception) the TV will take enough of the hit to write it off. Unplugging the aerial in an electrical storm and keeping the end well away from anything electrical is one preventative measure, but again that messes with reception :-rofl2 (but the electrical storm itself will cause some interference anyway).

Anyway a bigger worry is the power lines being hit, much more likely to happen, and would probably damage a lot more that just the TV equipment.

A friends telephone line was once hit, they were out at the time, when they got back they said it looked like a bomb had gone off in their home office, but it was just the fax machine exploding... The phone company denied and denied it could be because of a hit to their lines, then accepted and coughed up some cash.

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Analoguesat said:
I dunno what you are complaining about 2CV - when I was a handyman in Yorkshire 20 years ago I regularly used to get 240V through me changing the bulbs around the field centre. Never did me any harm! :-lmao

Apart from making my heart race a few times.......!

I was once shocked whilst up a set of stepladders near the top of a staircase and nearly fell down, beat that!!! :-rofl2

spiney

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Pace 2200 Sky digibox with ftv card, Comag SL65 FTA sat receiver, 40cm Sky minidish, Setpal terrestrial receiver (for free uk tv only!).
My Location
Midlands
As I keep on saying, this arises because sat receivers are class 2 elextrical equipment. Double insulated with no earth, so theoretically safer, but you can get "tingles and small belts".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Appliance_classes .