100 days left for Winter Hill...

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham
4th November is the date set for those receiving Analogue and digital signals from the Winter Hill transmitter, and as of today, it's 100 days to the beginning of the end of the analogue signals in the Granada region... :(

BBC2 will be turned off on the 4th Nov., and the rest will follow on the 2nd of December, all digital terrestrial equipment must be retuned on the first and second switchoffs, let's hope slightly older freeview boxes don't commit suicide with the different MUX setups... :(

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Good luck - Granada viewers need it if the level of information that was given out in the Selkirk switch off last November was anything to go by!

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Analoguesat said:
Good luck - Granada viewers need it if the level of information that was given out in the Selkirk switch off last November was anything to go by!

It was just on BBC North West Tonight, apparently there was some DigitalUK do at the base of the transmitter, but that was the first I heard of it!!! :confused

But I did know that the switchoff was set to start in November, whether anyone else did, I dunno, there's been enough ads for the DigitalUK thing, with that annoying robot, "Digit Al", but I don't see why we need to go digital, switching off the channels just opens up the frequencies for more cr*p!!! :(

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
2cvbloke said:
It was just on BBC North West Tonight, apparently there was some DigitalUK do at the base of the transmitter, but that was the first I heard of it!!! :confused

But I did know that the switchoff was set to start in November, whether anyone else did, I dunno, there's been enough ads for the DigitalUK thing, with that annoying robot, "Digit Al", but I don't see why we need to go digital, switching off the channels just opens up the frequencies for more cr*p!!! :(

DigitalUK are about as useless as t*ts on a Cricket bat :-downt

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
I was aware of the time scale however I fail to see what all the fuss is about, last figures I heard were that 88% of the population have gone digital in this area. Perhaps the 12% are sticking it out thinking they will get a freebee and not have to fork out money......

A nonymous

Reaction score
Lets just hope they get it right otherwise i can see another month stint in Bolton coming :-ohcrap

If its anything to go by whats happening in the Central region at the moment they are going to be in big do do :-lmao

Its great fun setting up IRS systems when the local transmitter (Sutton Coldfield) decide to switch off the digital mux your trying to level out 'O'-red

I thought my meter had packed up at first, until i had a few phone calls from other work colleagues who were having the same problems.

So nice of them to inform us O-no

:-beer

Nano

bobdisk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
AB IPbox 9000HD & Humax Foxsat+ HD, and about to upgrade dish, dont know what for yet!
My Location
Near Heathrow, UK
I use Crystal Palace, London. We have started to get a "retune your box on or before 30 Sept" (or else!) banner in the last few days. Didnt think there was any changes in this area yet, anyone know?

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
bobdisk said:
I use Crystal Palace, London. We have started to get a "retune your box on or before 30 Sept" (or else!) banner in the last few days. Didnt think there was any changes in this area yet, anyone know?

You can check here:

_http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/

They will have all the info you need... :)

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
I'm just not looking forward to the date set for WH, cos I discovered this week that our Sony KD-28DL10U IDTV has a software issue meaning it refuses to retune (gets stuck at 2%), so unless Sony reply to my e-mail about getting it fixed, then the TV will be screwed, cos sony didn't have the foresight to make sure the TV was compatible with future upgrades like other Freeview-based device manufacturers were... :rolleyes:

Oh well, best be on the lookout for a decent separate freeview box then... :(

EDIT:
And that Retune on the 30th, well, we're definitely screwed!!! :eek:

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Well, that's BBC2 Analogue offline, and all Digital stuff off too and needs retuning cos they just changed the transmission layout... :rolleyes:

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
So did you get your software updated on the Sony?

Vipersan

Emmett Browns Ghost
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
IP9000HD +
TD110 Dish and TD88 Dish in Tandem
66°East to 60°West.
AZbox PrmHD + OpnbxS9HD + Skybox + DrHD F15
2x VboxII AZ-EL
2 m+ Alcoa PF + BSC421 C-Band lnbf...
+SS2/TwHnS2-3200 pci/TBS6925 pci
1.5 Fortec Star -Gbox - HtoH Ku/Ka/C
My Location
UK
Obviously some 'in the know' guys on this thread ..
Just curious as to how much of the spectrum will be re-used for digital TV (HD in particular) ...
Or has HMgvt got designs on any spectrum freed up for 'selling' off to private enterprise..

The 3G auction of usuable spectrum springs to mind..
It certainly filled the treasury koffers at the time with some very scary sums of money involved at the time...
rgds

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
rolfw said:
So did you get your software updated on the Sony?

Nope, the most helpful answer we got from a sony centre was to "check that the download option is switched on", and that was it, no offer of an update CAM or anything... :mad:

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Vipersan said:
Obviously some 'in the know' guys on this thread ..
Just curious as to how much of the spectrum will be re-used for digital TV (HD in particular) ...
Or has HMgvt got designs on any spectrum freed up for 'selling' off to private enterprise..

rgds

Am maximum of 6 frequencies (maybe 7 later) will be used for the digital tv muxes at each transmitter. One HD mux will be available for the next few years.

The government is looking at flogging off about a third of the tv frequency spectrum for other use - if anyone wants to start up other HD channels they will have to pay the commercial going rate for the appropriate spectrum for each transmitter.

Vipersan

Emmett Browns Ghost
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
IP9000HD +
66°East to 60°West.
2x VboxII AZ-EL
My Location
UK
Analoguesat said:

The government is looking at flogging off about a third of the tv frequency spectrum for other use - if anyone wants to start up other HD channels they will have to pay the commercial going rate for the appropriate spectrum for each transmitter.

...Thanks for that ..
I had a feeling that would likely be the case..
rgds

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Less than two hours to go now, will there be any pain???

Vipersan

Emmett Browns Ghost
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
IP9000HD +
66°East to 60°West.
2x VboxII AZ-EL
My Location
UK
Pain is guaranteed ..
..judging by the cockup so far ...
several customers in my shop over the last month fuming at the fact that ...even though they already have 'digitally ticked' equipment ...its destined for the skip ..and are forced to buy replacement tvs and stbs ...
I expect more as of tomorrow..
cest la vie

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
BBC1 ITV1 and CH4 all went very quickly at about 5 minutes past the hour, CH5 still working as of 00:13 but probably not for long

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
Are you sure about BBC1 as it's there this morning without a retune?