7020 Tuner Problem

fcs001fcs

Newbie to the Dream
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
3 LNB 80CM Dish, (Hotbird, Astra 1 & 2) DM800, DM7020S & DM500S, PLi® Beta
My Location
BENELUX
Hi All, I have a 7020 that seems to be insensitive to certain select frequencies.

For example, it works fine for Sly (legal card), German FTA and Premiere but NASN in Premiere Star is at 70% or less (clear day low BER, cloudy day no picture). Also ORF channels are similarly affected. Other frequencies are also affected but I have not spent the time to list which ones.

I have another 7020 and 2 500s that are connected to the same dish and LNBs (13, 19, 28) through DiSEqC switches and they all work fine for the frequencies concerned.

I have switched the problem 7020 to a 500 working connection and it is the same; this would seem to eliminate the connection (cable, DiSEqC, LNBs) and indicate that the 7020 box itself was the problem.

I then ordered and replaced the Philips Tuner on the main board hoping it was a bad tuner but I have exactly the same issue.

The working 7020 and problem 7020 have same setup, image, emus etc... .

Is there anything else I should check or replace (except the main board totally) that may fix this problem?

Any and all suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks, FCS

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
Did you try swapping the tuners from the good and bad 7020s before buying a new one?

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
Try reflashing the image. Scan from scratch with automatic scan and see if the problem stays.

fcs001fcs

Newbie to the Dream
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
BENELUX
Hi mhku, I did not since I did not want to take the risk of ruining the working 7020. The tuners are soldered in on the main board and I only have a simple soldering iron to work with. As it was I was worried about ruining the board where I did change the tuner. I figured a new tuner and one soldering event was enough chance to take.

Hi HB13DISH, I will try your suggestion when I can. I did image re-flash the bad 7020 a few times but did not try the complete channel scan. I don't think it will help but will try it anyway.

Thanks, FCS

fcs001fcs

Newbie to the Dream
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
BENELUX
I re-located my dish to the house wall vice a stake in the yard and it has fixed the problem. I was doing this in any case but it had an added benefit of fixing my problem.

NASN Premiere Star on the problem 7020 is at 87% SNR (the 500 is at 93% SNR) on a clear day so I think it should be OK when cloudy or rainy, TBD.

All I can think of is that I took out 1 splice since it was a shorter run and possibly I aligned the dish slightly better. All other Sats and channels are OK also.

It was probably the union connections (splice) that affect this particular frequency more than others, a good guess I think, but who knows. I am using RG6 so the shorter run should not have been an issue.

Anyway, I have a spare tuner in case the new one goes on me, and I’ve learned a little on the sensitivity of the 7020 tuners.

Thanks for the help, FCS