A modern day look at parlour tricks

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK

spiney

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Pace 2200 Sky digibox with ftv card, Comag SL65 FTA sat receiver, 40cm Sky minidish, Setpal terrestrial receiver (for free uk tv only!).
My Location
Midlands
Great Video! However, as the song says, "it's not unusual" ....

With electricity distribution systems, the big problem is switching OFF. With all that power and inductance, when you open a switch, the current doesn't stop (!), instead an arc forms across the ionised air, and current continues flowing, even across a gap of several feet!

(Imagine not being able to switch off any electrical appliance in your home ...).

To deal with this, power switching substations tend to have circuit breakers with very long arms, and air blowers to put out the arcs, often making them look like something from Frankenstein's lab.

The installation shown in video - at Boulder City - is fairly typical, and I assume there was some sort of fault!

http://205.243.100.155/frames/longarc.htm (more pics and videos!).

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham
Have you seen that subsation exploding? Gawd when I first saw that (months ago!!!) I wondered how safe those big humming lumps of pipe are!!! O-Ha

I do like creating sparks though, shame I can't do anything like those before my tripswitches cut out... :-rofl2

spiney

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Pace 2200 Sky digibox with ftv card, Comag SL65 FTA sat receiver, 40cm Sky minidish, Setpal terrestrial receiver (for free uk tv only!).
My Location
Midlands
After seeing this, maybe folks will stop complaining about the "tingle" fron their lnb socket?