A solution for old tellies...

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham
Here's something that might interest those with older TVs with no AV function that are threatened by the switchover;

A Sony Playstation (original grey box one) RFU Adaptor!!! :-worship

All you need is a couple of Phono leads with plugs on one end and sockets on the other and a 5vDC power source, and you can use the adaptor as an RF modulator for anything that uses only AV out, such as cheap freeview boxes... :D

It's only limited to UHF Channel 36, which was often the one used by VCRs, but after the switchover, I don't think that would matter (as long as there are no MUXes on 36!!!)... :)

Just need to find myself a 5v source, and I'll try it out... :D

Attachments

• HRFUAdaptor.jpg
    HRFUAdaptor.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 46

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
I recall a number of service calls, where the TV in question was unable to receive any digital signals. Once on site, it was often a case of disconnecting the adaptor from the kids room TV and handing a 25 pound callout charge to the houseowner.

Things have changed, I now charge 40 quid.....

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Hehe, easy money eh? :-rofl2

I also have a switch thing that you plug the device into, then you can switch between the Aerial input or the Modulator input... :)

Though, how would an adaptor like that stop digital TV appearing on the TV? Or were the boxes also set to CH36? :confused

BombedOne

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Covering 30W-105.5E range, two motors, C and Ku band. Various receivers/cards/cams/etc.
My Location
Republic of Georgia
Yes, this is good solution.

Also to be noted, if you'll make minor circut adjustments, you can make SCART<>S-Video adaptor from that box.

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
2cvbloke said:
Though, how would an adaptor like that stop digital TV appearing on the TV? Or were the boxes also set to CH36? :confused

Also these and similar devices can be lossey and enough to drop off the cliff if the signal is marginal.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
satelliteman said:
Also these and similar devices can be lossey and enough to drop off the cliff if the signal is marginal.

Not just the loss, as soon as the games station is powered from the mains (even in standby), the modulator is running and this generates noise over the whole spectrum.

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Channel Hopper said:
Not just the loss, as soon as the games station is powered from the mains (even in standby), the modulator is running and this generates noise over the whole spectrum.

Yes because of a cheap DSB modulator used thus will create side bands ie. N+/-1, N+/-5 within the uhf spectrum. In high signal areas cross mod / intermodulation distortion can occur.

Lets get all technical :D

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Interesting, but, come switchover, there's no need to have an aerial plugged into the old analogue TV (so no requirement for anything to be plugged into that pass-through socket), so, how would the UHF interference get from modulator to STB?? :confused

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Some of the newer Freeview boxes have a built in modulator, the TVONICS MFR 300 is one example. I believe that there is a Ferguson which has a modulator as well.

Yes you are right 2cv, shouldn't be a problem come switchover.

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Yes also there are a few freeview receivers around with 4 connections ie. separate loop through and RF mod out :eek:

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
I'm happy with my Oggle boxes, despite the switchover attempting to kill them off, they work great, they just lack a modulator... :)

If I buy another freeview box, it'll have to be another Oggle... :D

Speaking of a Ferguson, my portable kit I'm selling has a stand-alone Tuner/Timer unit that could act as a modulator, seeing as the VCR unit needs "attention" (belts maybe?), then the TTU could be useful to some:

ebay 230388359625

(shameless plug, I know, but it is terrestrial related, sort of!!!)

I still need to find a 5v source though, found a 2.5mm socket for the plug, just need a PSU now... :)

kenny1234

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Motorised ASC 1.2m,1224 Supermount with C120 Invacom Quad LNB with Matched Feedhorn.
My Location
Scunthorpe
Manhatten freeview receiver also has modulator cracking box @ around £25

bobdisk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
AB IPbox 9000HD &amp; Humax Foxsat+ HD, and about to upgrade dish, dont know what for yet!
My Location
Near Heathrow, UK
Another I think better solution would be to get a UHF modulator from a supplier, the likes of CPC
_http://cpc.farnell.com/labgear/mod111/uhf-modulator/dp/AV13328
This one costs about £36, a bit expensive, but I guess ygwyp4 ! (you get what you pay for!) Be careful buying cheap Freeview boxes, most have no modulator.
2cvbloke: these people also do small power supplies.
There are other suppliers available (that keeps the MadMen happy!)

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
I've still yet to go through my bag of extensive electrical crap that I really should sort, all I need now to get my Playstation modulator running is the 5vDC supply, soon I hope, very soon... :)

A nonymous

Reaction score
I just use one of these. Works really well :D

Code:
_http://www.vision-products.co.uk/productpage.asp?productcode=V40-104&subcategoryid=62

:-beer

Nano

Attachments

• V40-104A.jpg
    V40-104A.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 29

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
For most people, buying a Freeview box with a built in modulator will be the cheapest and easiest option.

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
rolfw said:
For most people, buying a Freeview box with a built in modulator will be the cheapest and easiest option.

Yep, but for the likes people like me who have other things, and like to tinker, then making something is more fun... :D

bobdisk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
AB IPbox 9000HD &amp; Humax Foxsat+ HD, and about to upgrade dish, dont know what for yet!
My Location
Near Heathrow, UK
rolfw said:

Only problem is fewer manufacturers are putting modulators in these days, especially cheapos :-toilet