My Satellite Setup
DM7020 Screambox
MAC OSX & windowzz 98SE
Gemini
1664 on tap
My Location
13°E
Hi
I'm going to set up a TV in the peterborough area on a house with no system in place.

Is there anything I need to ask for specifically for digital TV regarding the type of arial and digi-box. Does anyone know which is the best transmitter to point it at in that area and whats the minimum arial I need.

As you can tell by the questions I'm a complete novice when it comes to these systems so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Sorry whatsthis I have no idea apart from the info that googling brings up
MK1 here appears to be the one but really I would just check out the other houses in the area to see in which direction they are receiving signals and the polarity of the aerial without knowing the area there may be local geographical considerations to account for :)

spiney

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Pace 2200 Sky digibox with ftv card, Comag SL65 FTA sat receiver, 40cm Sky minidish, Setpal terrestrial receiver (for free uk tv only!).
My Location
Midlands
Presumably, you mean "can I get Freeview" (because, satellite should not be a problem!)?

Look at postcode predictors on Freeview site, also the Wolfbane one, gives some idea, most places are only in range of 1 transmitter.

You need correct aerial for transmitter you're using, and cable should be sat grade, and preferably waterproof (foam filled).

Best guide is other nearby houses, if they have huge aeirals, you'll need one too! But, if the next door house gets it ok, no reason why you shouldn't!

There's my freeview guide, which goes on a bit, but might be useful: Top section in FAQs, now on 2nd page down I think, anyway it's:
http://www.satellites.co.uk/php-bin/forum/showthread.php?t=43646 .
(that should make Rolf happier).

glesgaguysat

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm motorized dish with Humax HDCI2000 reciever/Dragon cam/cas 3 programmer/Topfield 5800 digital reciever
My Location
Scotland
My advice regarding your aerial setup is always go for the best and the biggest that you can get away with/afford, digital is less forgiving than analogue and much like satellite it's not the strength but the quality of the signal that counts, the digital information can get garbled by noise coming from poor cable/cable runs and bad connections this leads to EPG info or update info or even channels not being recieved properly, so if you want to be future proof get the best, when HD comes along it will be worth it:)

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
spiney said:
Presumably, you mean "can I get Freeview"

I had certainly assumed that Spiney as the thread is in the Terrestrial Broadcasting > Digital and Analogue Terrestrial section :)

whatsthis

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM7020 Screambox
MAC OSX & windowzz 98SE
Gemini
1664 on tap
My Location
13°E
Thanks for all your replies.

I've used the links provided and found out that the two transmitters are Waltham and Sandy Heath but unfortunately freeview isnt available in the area. As you suggest I shall ask the neighbours what system/setup they have.

Cheers

spiney

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Pace 2200 Sky digibox with ftv card, Comag SL65 FTA sat receiver, 40cm Sky minidish, Setpal terrestrial receiver (for free uk tv only!).
My Location
Midlands
Well, as said, the best guide is to look at other nearby aeirals!

The digital cliff effect means that a big enough aerial is necessary, without which you get nothing. In theory, a bigger aerial is then pointless, but it's a good idea to go "at least one size bigger", if reasonably possible.

The Wolfbane site gives "some idea", it should say if you have a choice of transmitters, or if reception is LIKELY to be difficult (it can't possibly be 100% accurate, of course).

I still use a Sepal receiver, has the best Freeview tuner ever made, but no longer available. Unfortunately, Freeview receiver makers rarely quote sensitivity! Rolf usually says he finds Sagems have "good" sensitivity.

If you're in a problem area, but still wish to try, then:

1 Aerial for correct frequency bands (of course).
2 Use sat grade cable, to ct100 or better spec, foam filled.
3 Use high gain low noise masthead amp (on aeiral), and any "signal booster" is worse than useless, again see my guide for why.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
As Spiney says, the best way to guage your ability to receive digital terrestrial signals is to ask your neighbours. :) Go to the nearest one with the newest aerial installation, as they may well have had the work done with digital in mind.

I have found that a difference of 100m can make a huge difference to digital reception, particularly in hilly areas.

Muddler

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Hotbird analogue Pace MSS100 clear and digital Fortec Lifetime Ultra FTA from 80 cm fixed dish.
My Location
East Midlands, UK.
All good advice above, ask neighbours. I have found freeview rexception predictor unreliable and seems to err on the cautious side.

spiney

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Midlands
Unfortunately, predicting Freeview reception is a problem, due to the "quirks" of digital tv. The only sure way to find out, beforehand, is have a signal measurement done at your home (which will cost).

What size are nearby aerials? If all obviously older types, then it may be nobody is getting Freeview.

If it's dodgy, and you still wish to try, without measuring the signal first, then obviously that's risky.

You could contact aerial installers on a "no reception, no fee" basis. Otherwise, there's non subscription Sky satellite, DIY install or Freesat, though this misses out E4/More4.

whatsthis

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM7020 Screambox
MAC OSX & windowzz 98SE
Gemini
1664 on tap
My Location
13°E
After being quoted 200 quid for someone to install the aerial on the roof I did it myself. I got a high gain aerial from argos for 20 quid and stuck it in the attic. The picture was a bit snowy on some channels but then I got an old freeview box for the price of a pint and stuck it on. The picture is perfect and I get bbci.

22 pound 50 well spent ! If aerial and satellite installers try to baffle people with technology and quote rediculous prices then people will try low cost simple methods and if they work out then we're well chuffed.

Melvyn

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Twinhan Sat-Ci
Hauppauge WinTV Nova-T
My Location
Essex
Well done whatsthis.

It always warms the cockles of my heart to hear of someone beating the system and installing something themselves really cheaply. Unfortunately it rarely seems to work out like that for me, but that's another story.

spiney

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Midlands
If it works, then it works, there's no arguing with that!

However, note that:

1) you can't get a poor (snowy) digital tv picture, either it works or it doesn't.

2) Digital tv is "a very different animal" from analouge, the reception criterion being Viterbi bit error. There's no deliberate "mystification", the techniques used are highly complicated and depend on information theory.

Digital is all or nothing, and the aerial can make the critical difference between getting and not getting it.

http://www.satellites.co.uk/php-bin/forum/showthread.php?t=60042 .

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
My interpretation was that the analogue signal was snowy so whatsthis then went out and bought an old freeview box

The picture was a bit snowy on some channels but then I got an old freeview box for the price of a pint and stuck it on. The picture is perfect and I get bbci.

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
If the snowy picture was on analogue Five then, as this is frequently transmitted on lower powers and different channel grouping to the other 4, this can be easily understood.

spiney

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Midlands
Yeah, ok, i probably misread that!