Am i watching in HD??

billchad

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
technomate 5400 c+usb motorised system, alternative Humax sat receiver.
My Location
Lancashire
In the manual for the Humax HD satellite receiver it says 'You can set the resolution of the screen. Press the V-FORMAT button while watching a programme. The
current resolution will be displayed.
Each time you press the V-FORMAT button, the
resolution changes in the following sequence:
576iJ576pJ720pJ1080iJOriginal.

Note: ''If the product is connected to the TV using an
HDMI cable, Original will not be displayed.''

Its the last bit i am interested in because the product is connected to the TV via a HDMI cable, but the word 'Original' does appear on the screen when i press the V-FORMAT button to change the resolution.

Does this mean that i am not watching HD? and how can i tell if i am, as it isn't exactly obvious to me of there being a Great improvement in the picture. Is there some kind of test one can do to determine if your watching HD or not. If anyone can give me a lightbulb moment i would appreciate the effort.
Many tanxs

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Generally speaking you want the tv set to 720p or 1080i.

However you will only get true HD if the source material being transmitted is HD format. Much of it is just upscaled standard def stuff, and the quality of the picture will depend on how good the upscaler in your box is.

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
Your TV should have some means of telling you what resolution is being sent along the HDMI cable. On my Philips pressing the i (information) button tells me that sort of info and more.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
That lightbulb moment may come by ONLY having a HDMI connector fitted (remove any phono / SCART leads), and if you select the BBC HD test channel (108 ?) . Some of the programmes on there were designed to give the viewer the best of any system.

You are however not the first person to be disappointed by the apparent upgrade to high definition, I've installed about twenty Humax boxes to HD ready TVs after requests and a third of the customers have not seen an appreciable difference that justified going for the receiver, when there are others out there at half the price.

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
57E to 58W, C-band and Ku, DVB-S2, 4:2:2 and blindscan.
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
Channel Hopper said:
That lightbulb moment may come by ONLY having a HDMI connector fitted (remove any phono / SCART leads), and if you select the BBC HD test channel (108 ?) . Some of the programmes on there were designed to give the viewer the best of any system.

You are however not the first person to be disappointed by the apparent upgrade to high definition, I've installed about twenty Humax boxes to HD ready TVs after requests and a third of the customers have not seen an appreciable difference that justified going for the receiver, when there are others out there at half the price.

Either the Tele is too small or their eyesight or Tele is broken. Just the switch alone to hdmi even in SD makes a huge difference on any decent tv.

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
Huevos said:
Either the Tele is too small or their eyesight or Tele is broken. Just the switch alone to hdmi even in SD makes a huge difference on any decent tv.

To be honest, not always. My girlfriend uses a Sagemcom PVR box for Freeview stuff and feeds it to her 42" Samsung via a SCART connection using RGB. The picture quality on the likes of BBC1 is very much comparable when viewing BBC1 directly on TV using its internal tuner.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Huevos said:

Agree entirely. I found the difference with my original non-PVR Foxsat astounding. So much so that later got the PVR version as well.

billchad

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Lancashire
Channel Hopper said:

trouble is, if i pull out the scart lead i loose the signal, so that would indicate the signal is threw the scart and not the HDMI lead. Not too sure how to remedy that? Couple of more questions if you guys are a little bored this fine Sunday morning. I have a motorised dish, 'how do i scan for other channels' via the Humax satelllite receiver box (bog standard £50 on Ebay) i.e..do i have to stick to the 28.2 freesat satellite? can i only get Freesat channels? if so i'm going back to my TM 5400. At least i could scan the World with that.....:-doh!

Teli is 26'' sorry 28'' eye sigh going, can't afford a bigger one.
Many thanks.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
You need to switch the av input on the tv to hdmi.

One of the buttons on the tv remote will allow you to toggle between the inputs.

FWIW Im in the camp of "cant see much difference between the tv viewed via rf & scart (cant go any other way as our old telly is pre HD :D

(And before anyone says anything theres nothing wrong with my eyes :p )

billchad

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Lancashire
Analoguesat said:
You need to switch the av input on the tv to hdmi.

One of the buttons on the tv remote will allow you to toggle between the inputs.

Yep nice one, Analogue, source button sorted it, can now pull the scart without losing signal, and up it too 108i.
looks like my eye sight has improved a little, but if pushed its not as if iv'e had catarach treatment or anything, HD is over hyped.

Many thanks

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
"Oh, yes, there is"!

Agree about TV AV switching - it doesn't necessarily auto-detect and prioritise HDMI.

sonnetpete

Grumpy Old Retired Moderator and quiz inquisitor..
Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup
Laminas 1.2M fibre dish with an IBU, on a Clarke Tech USALS motor, covering 57E - 24.5W to an Octagon SX88. Displayed on a 20" Dyon LED TV.

Seperate 80 cm dish on 28E with a Humax Freesat for SWMBO.
Free Sat V8 meter. Sony Bravia 46" LCD, Sony BluRay and Home Cinema.
My Location
Normandy, France
Analoguesat said:
FWIW Im in the camp of "cant see much difference between the tv viewed via rf & scart (cant go any other way as our old telly is pre HD :D

(And before anyone says anything theres nothing wrong with my eyes :p )

Taking into account this and additionally your 'appreciation' of the VU+ and Enigma 2, perhaps I should forward an application for the 'Grumpy Old Man' club.....

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
sonnetpete said:
Taking into account this and additionally your 'appreciation' of the VU+ and Enigma 2, perhaps I should forward an application for the 'Grumpy Old Man' club.....

You can't join twice.

sonnetpete

Grumpy Old Retired Moderator and quiz inquisitor..
Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup
Laminas 1.2M fibre dish with an IBU, on a Clarke Tech USALS motor, covering 57E - 24.5W to an Octagon SX88. Displayed on a 20" Dyon LED TV.

Seperate 80 cm dish on 28E with a Humax Freesat for SWMBO.
Free Sat V8 meter. Sony Bravia 46" LCD, Sony BluRay and Home Cinema.
My Location
Normandy, France
Channel Hopper said:
You can't join twice.

Up to now he's only been an honorary member.....(Meldrew Second Class)

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
sonnetpete said:
Up to now he's only been an honorary member.....(Meldrew Second Class)

I don't believe that.

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
57E to 58W, C-band and Ku, DVB-S2, 4:2:2 and blindscan.
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
Captain Jack said:
Samsung via a SCART connection using RGB. The picture quality on the likes of BBC1 is very much comparable when viewing BBC1 directly on TV using its internal tuner.
Except it doesn't have the dot crawl.

billchad said:
Teli is 26'' sorry 28'' eye sigh going, can't afford a bigger one.
Well you aren't goint to notice much difference with a TV of that size unless you are less than 6 feet from the screen. And anyway if it is a cheap 28" TV the native resolution of the screen is probably not 1080i anyway, rather it is just capable of displaying the picture, but not in the true resolution.